Vegetarians - Meat replacements

Its an interesting read and i have wondered if a lot of fake meat products are as healthy and beneficial as they claim to be?

I enjoy the taste of meat but i have been gradually cutting it out of my diet a few months now and will probably take the plunge to go meat free eventually. I don't want to eat veggie beefsteak steaks mimics and the like.

I used to eat Quorn now and again and i liked the taste but I haven't really had much for several years. Is Quorn another processed product that isn't made out to be or is it a healthy food?
Quorn is a tricky one, not a fan of it myself, as they dont really tell you whats in it, and they now have vegan quorn as well, I would rather know what Im eating than have some mass produced sawdust with flavourings

Quorn is a tricky one, not a fan of it myself, as they dont really tell you whats in it, and they now have vegan quorn as well, I would rather know what Im eating than have some mass produced sawdust with flavourings
Quorn is a fungus , with other ingredients to bind it the same as you get with meat sausages , it is bursting with micro proteins which is why atheletes eat it , easy to google anyway

My 'then wife' and I tried going pescatarian a couple of years ago. We were living in Lancaster very close to a halal slaughter house and we were constantly seeing the big wagons full of sheep going in and then coming out empty again. I couldn't get the images out of my head so we gave it a go but I found the plant based side of the diet to be absolutely crippling with my IBS. It gave me chronic wind and bloating and I felt miserable too often. Also the cost of fish was just ridiculous! I wanted to make a curry and needed some firm, meaty fish that wouldn't fall apart but the price of things like Monkfish was just crazy. In the end we went back to meat eating but now I'm single and living on a very tight budget I would love to cut meat out again.
Does anybody else have IBS but manage being a vegetarian without the side effects of the fibre?

My life was pretty much made a misery for years by IBS. Tried prescription drugs, over the counter stuff, herbal remedies and the FODMAP diet, but nothing worked.

I then went pescatarian like you did and the change was amazing. Like you say, it can be difficult and expensive though. I eat shellfish more than 'white' fish which does tend to be a bit cheaper. It helps that I could pretty much live on prawns and mussels as I love them so much!) I also eat basa, mackerel & mullet which are also cheaper than your usual cod, haddock, monk, salmon, etc.

I've since reintroduced chicken into my diet which doesn't seem to play me up too much. I also have bread occasionally, but only wholemeal as I find white bread really bloats me up badly.

Oh yeah, I also have a Huel shake most days which I find pretty filling.

My life was pretty much made a misery for years by IBS. Tried prescription drugs, over the counter stuff, herbal remedies and the FODMAP diet, but nothing worked.

I then went pescatarian like you did and the change was amazing. Like you say, it can be difficult and expensive though. I eat shellfish more than 'white' fish which does tend to be a bit cheaper. It helps that I could pretty much live on prawns and mussels as I love them so much!) I also eat basa, mackerel & mullet which are also cheaper than your usual cod, haddock, monk, salmon, etc.

I've since reintroduced chicken into my diet which doesn't seem to play me up too much. I also have bread occasionally, but only wholemeal as I find white bread really bloats me up badly.

Oh yeah, I also have a Huel shake most days which I find pretty filling.
Now I’m living on my own I seem to have stumbled on a way to manage my IBS by just trying to eat a half decent diet and not cook every night - I cook a load of chicken and broccoli every Sunday and then refrigerate it. I’ll have whole grain toast for breakfast, then lunch at work and tea in the evening is just the cold chicken and broccoli with some salad leaves and maybe coleslaw etc. It’s boring and not exactly warming in the winter but the bloating is miles better, I’m not full of gas and it keeps my weight down.
On the weekends I allow myself more carbs and curries etc but just 2 days worth of it isn’t enough to trigger the IBS again.
Definitely a diet for a single man only, and it does get repetitive but I find I care a damn sight less about flavour etc now I’m on my own.

Shopping today and looking at all the new plant based ranges , it occurred to me why do vegetarians/ vegans decide against eating meat but then choose and design food products that are designed to look and taste like the type of food they are looking to avoid? If they want a plant / vegetable based diet why not eat plants and vegetables that look like what they are rather than adding in preservatives and additives to make them look like something else?
I don't and I don't know why some do.
I don't want anything sausage like :)

I'm thinking of giving a vegetarian diet a go for a month or so later on in the year and see how it goes. My main problem is that I really don't like vegetables and fruit. My diet now is nearly all meat (with a bit of bread/potato/dumplings).

Just thinking what I can eat (except beans) and wondered if egg, cheese etc is permissible on a vegetarian diet.

I've been vegetarian for over 30 years now, and think the huge growth in plant based products in recent years has been great. Makes it a lot easier for people to make the transition if they want to. When I started the only meat alternatives were things like Beanfeast and Sosmix, which were pretty grim to eat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.