Coronavirus (2022) thread

This is what they do in places like Japan and it's always been regarded as a major reason why their version of the pandemic has been far less severe. With their population age you'd expect them to be the worst in the world but it's quite the opposite until recent spikes with Omicron.

I suppose the difference is here we wear masks because we think it protects us (which it doesn't) and in Japan they wear masks to protect others (which it does).

With regards to Japan. I read one paper the other month that was suggesting there may actually be a genetic advantage over there against Covid. I think a lot of research will be done with regards to how well Japan handled it.

Mask compliance will be a big factor I agree.

What's the difference between being against being vaccinated and being antivax?
Well, assuming you would be happy to take or have already had other vaccines you can’t really be classed as antivax. Maybe some people are worried about myocarditis and other potential long term side effects for something that is highly unlikely to kill someone who is young and healthy. If you’re over 65 or have underlying health problems then it’s understandable to have the jab.

It’s risk and reward really and it should be up to people to make their own choices. Hopefully there are no long term side effects in 10 years from this vaccine but at present nobody can say with any certainty that will prove to be the case. It’s very wrong how anyone who has decided to not have the vaccine is vilified as antivax when they most probably aren’t.

I dont see anyone attributing less worth to anyones life.

Co morbidities have been a huge contributory factor in covid deaths so it’s not some huge stretch to then discuss them and ask how could they be avoided say for diabetes that for many, could be avoided if we lived a healthier lifestyle.

Like it or not, we are not immortal and we all have a personal responsibility for our own health and well-being and sadly, a large number of deaths from covid probably would have been avoided had we as a population been healthier.

The vast majority of deaths though looking at the age groups are in all reality, unavoidable as these are people naturally at the end of an expected life. Apologies if that comes across as cold and callous, it isn’t meant to be but nonetheless, it’s true.
It doesn't so much come across as cold and callous, more that it comes across as incorrect. Sure, there are going to be examples of 90 year olds with terminal cancer or other serious health issues catching Covid and dying a couple of months earlier than expected. That much isn't in doubt, but to claim that the "vast majority" of Covid deaths are in that bracket is, quite simply, utter bollocks IMO. I recall reading somewhere a while back that it was thought that Covid deaths, on average, knock 12 years off someone's life. I can't lay my hands on that article but I've found another where it is estimated at 10 years or more (13 years for men and 11 years for women). Whichever way you cut it, people who are dying on average 10,11,12, and 13 years earlier than expected are nowhere near at the end of an expected life:

It doesn't so much come across as cold and callous, more that it comes across as wrong. Sure, there are going to be examples of 90 year olds with terminal cancer or other serious health issues catching Covid and dying a couple of months earlier than expected. That much isn't in doubt, but to claim that the "vast majority" of Covid deaths are in that bracket is, quite simply, utter bollocks IMO. I recall reading somewhere a while back that it was thought that Covid deaths, on average, knock 12 years off someone's life. I can't lay my hands on that article but I've found another where it is estimated at 10 years or more (13 years for men and 11 years for women). Whichever way you cut it, people who are dying on average 10,11,12, and 13 years earlier than expected are nowhere near at the end of an expected life:

If they are past the average life expectancy in the UK for a man or woman then how do you then claim it’s knocked 10,11,12 or 13 years off their life expectancy?

Well, assuming you would be happy to take or have already had other vaccines you can’t really be classed as antivax. Maybe some people are worried about myocarditis and other potential long term side effects for something that is highly unlikely to kill someone who is young and healthy. If you’re over 65 or have underlying health problems then it’s understandable to have the jab.

It’s risk and reward really and it should be up to people to make their own choices. Hopefully there are no long term side effects in 10 years from this vaccine but at present nobody can say with any certainty that will prove to be the case. It’s very wrong how anyone who has decided to not have the vaccine is vilified as antivax when they most probably aren’t.

On this point, I saw a few videos from some medical scientists on it. There wont be any long term effects, its physically impossible as the vaccine is totally out of the system after 2 weeks. so after 2 weeks there's nothing left in the body to cause a long term side effect with. It would have to be some damage caused in those 2 weeks that somehow takes 10 years to surface.

I know a lot of people are wary of MRNA as a technology as its "new" as this was the 1st viral vaccine using it, but when you look at that its been used for over a decade in Immunotherapy to treat cancer and the like so there is 10 years of data out there on MRNA as it stands.

Last edited:
Reactions: ell
From the week ending 13 March 2020 to the week ending 7 January 2022, the number of excess deaths above the five-year average in England was 122,467.

whole video is explained well but if you just jump to 10.40 he shows how it’s estimated 50k excess cancer deaths during this time and how excess cancer death will likely be on the rise the next few years also

this is just cancer, how many other deaths with other illnesses have risen dramatically during Covid I don’t know but I’d put money on they haven’t gone down

If they are past the average life expectancy in the UK for a man or woman then how do you then claim it’s knocked 10,11,12 or 13 years off their life expectancy?
The point of the article is that it's an average across all Covid deaths. The average life expectancy in the UK is 81.2 years. My dad's 82. If he caught Covid tomorrow and died, are you telling me "Oh well, he was at the end of his life anyway so it doesn't really matter" despite the fact that he's still healthy enough to meet his mates down the pub every Sunday afternoon?

Article from the Lancet.

The point of the article is that it's an average across all Covid deaths. The average life expectancy in the UK is 81.2 years. My dad's 82. If he caught Covid tomorrow and died, are you telling me "Oh well, he was at the end of his life anyway so it doesn't really matter" despite the fact that he's still healthy enough to meet his mates down the pub every Sunday afternoon?

I’m saying statistically he has lived what is considered a full life.

It’s you claiming to be able to know someone has had 10,11,12 or 13 years knocked off their life despite dying at an age beyond what is considered an average life expectancy in the UK.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.