Keir Starmer

This is an extract from an interview in the FT with Rachel Reeves the Shadow Chancellor.....

Meanwhile Reeves said that a drop in Labour membership, which has reduced the party’s income, was a price worth paying for shedding unwelcome supporters and removing the “stain” of anti-Semitism from the party. “Membership in my constituency is falling and that’s a good thing,” she said. People had left “who should never have joined the Labour party. They never shared our values,” she added.

Christian Wakeford on the other hand....

_122904825_mediaitem122904824.jpg

does share Labour's values.....Presumably

This is profoundly depressing.

Go Keith.

Invite a proper Tory into the party whilst activist who are actual labour members who knock on doors, leaflets etc suspended on spurious allegations of "being a bit of a lefty"

Joke.
See also expressing your 'solidarity ' with a Tory MP while offering no support to Labour MP's who've been through similar because they are 'a bit of a lefty'.

Reactions: mat
This is an extract from an interview in the FT with Rachel Reeves the Shadow Chancellor.....

Meanwhile Reeves said that a drop in Labour membership, which has reduced the party’s income, was a price worth paying for shedding unwelcome supporters and removing the “stain” of anti-Semitism from the party. “Membership in my constituency is falling and that’s a good thing,” she said. People had left “who should never have joined the Labour party. They never shared our values,” she added.

There is a much more worrying aspect to the Wakeford story though.
”Christian Wakeford says Gavin Williamson is the MP who threatened to cancel a new school in his constituency if he voted against govt on free school meals He's categorical: "It was Gavin Williamson" — then education secretary.”

Its like the famous ’levelling up fund’ which, instead of being spread around the areas that have the most deprivation, it is almost exclusively being spent in constituencies with the smallest Tory majorities.

I'm ok with it. Labour was a toxic mess under Corbyn. Straitening that out will come at a cost and piss a few off but that's all within the bubble. The average man on the street doesn't give a toss about the purity of the lefty credentials of the leadership. Voters just want a decent option to vote for and Corbyn's Labour wasn't that. Starmer is doing a great job of building that reputation back.

My bigger concern is on the brexit front but I trust that its a case of GTTO first and everything else can be jam tomorrow.

This is worth a watch if you're interested in Labour's new MP for Bury South....

I don't think you quite get it - its an embattled PM with a 77 seat majority - of course Wakeford is welcomed it turns the screw - I am sure Starmer would be happy to de-select Wakeford and have another Labour MP run in the seat come the next GE - for now anything that heaps pressure needs to be exploited.

I don't think you quite get it - its an embattled PM with a 77 seat majority - of course Wakeford is welcomed it turns the screw - I am sure Starmer would be happy to de-select Wakeford and have another Labour MP run in the seat come the next GE - for now anything that heaps pressure needs to be exploited.

Of course I get it.

The defection serves two purposes, it turns the screw on Johnson and sends a signal to Tory voters that if they're thinking of lending their vote to Labour they're safe to do so.

But have you considered there might be a third purpose? The figure of 150,000 lost Labour Party members is being celebrated by the execrable Rachel Reeves, which means it's much more. I'm still counted as a member and I left over a year ago, until recently my wife was counted and she left three years ago!

What we're witnessing is the wilful destruction of a mass membership party, a once proud progressive party, that now welcomes with open arms reactionary right wing fuckwits like Wakefield! Not just for short term political gain, not just because it's a superficial wink to Tory voters, but because it's a major indicator of a fundamental realignment of the Labour party.

And here we go again, things can only get better.

Excuse me if I don't get excited at the prospect of a New Labour David Cameron/Tony Blair clone, waving victorious, from the steps of Number 10.

Last edited:
There is a much more worrying aspect to the Wakeford story though.
”Christian Wakeford says Gavin Williamson is the MP who threatened to cancel a new school in his constituency if he voted against govt on free school meals He's categorical: "It was Gavin Williamson" — then education secretary.”

Its like the famous ’levelling up fund’ which, instead of being spread around the areas that have the most deprivation, it is almost exclusively being spent in constituencies with the smallest Tory majorities.
And councils are now totting up how much funding they get from these "deals" allocated on political grounds compared to what they got under EU funding for regenerating areas of deprivation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.