10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah

I watched the game vs Chelsea again and noticed how much his off-ball movement improved since joining. For example, in KDB goal, Grealish pointed to KDB before Rodri's pass reached to Cancelo feet and Grealish started to move to the left side to provide more width. Something you won't see in his Villa days.

However I doubt if his finishing skill would improve. Clearly that scoring is not part of his nature skill and it seems no real improvement since joining...
I don't think he's ever going to be a big goalscorer for us, and I don't think that's particularly what we bought him for. I expect there are quite a lot of things Pep's asking of him that are seen as being a higher priority for how he wants him to play than scoring goals.

But at the same time, he's been in some good positions and should have finished more of those chances. I think it's sensible and pragmatic for him, the club and the fans to accept that while he's not a striker and not expected to be our main goal threat, there are things he can improve on to score more. Some of it is a run of bad luck in drawing some decent saves, some of it is a confidence/composure thing in that he's been snatching at chances, and some of it is technique stuff that can be worked on on the training ground.

His goalscoring ceiling might not be very high, but that shouldn't stop him pushing to reach it. He's holding himself to a certain standard on this, and while I think that to judge him solely on it is largely missing the point of what he does for us, I think it's not unreasonable for us to back him in his targets and expect to see some improvement on the things he's told us he's working on.

I don't think he's ever going to be a big goalscorer for us, and I don't think that's particularly what we bought him for. I expect there are quite a lot of things Pep's asking of him that are seen as being a higher priority for how he wants him to play than scoring goals.

But at the same time, he's been in some good positions and should have finished more of those chances. I think it's sensible and pragmatic for him, the club and the fans to accept that while he's not a striker and not expected to be our main goal threat, there are things he can improve on to score more. Some of it is a run of bad luck in drawing some decent saves, some of it is a confidence/composure thing in that he's been snatching at chances, and some of it is technique stuff that can be worked on on the training ground.

His goalscoring ceiling might not be very high, but that shouldn't stop him pushing to reach it. He's holding himself to a certain standard on this, and while I think that to judge him solely on it is largely missing the point of what he does for us, I think it's not unreasonable for us to back him in his targets and expect to see some improvement on the things he's told us he's working on.
I think he was very, very much signed with the idea that we'd have a Kane type player and that Bernie would leave. Tactically he would make room for both Kev and Foden, give defenders basically three things to think about (a player who can create deep, a player who can get in behind, a player who can dribble), and they would all make chances for Kane. I don't think he will ever thrive in a false 9 setup. The striker + second season will have people singing his praises by this time next year, I'm convinced of it.

In our system, Grealish has to be a goalscorer, they all have to chip in, every one of our front 5 are expected to provide goals and assists. If you were to look at our squad, of the attackers we have, sterling is by far and away the poorest finisher we have in the team yet look at the numbers he's produced under Pep.

I'm not saying they all have to replicate that level but there's no excuse for anybody not putting in comparative numbers to the rest of the squad, that goes for Grealish, jesus, mahrez, sterling, foden and even Palmer if he starts getting more games, and to a lesser extent kdb, gundogan and Bernardo.

He shouldn't be a false 9, he doesn't have goalscoring ability because he holds on to the ball for to long and takes to many touches when he should be shooting or passing quicker

I don't worry about him because you can see the glimpses with him. He isn't dominating games for us yet but you can see flashes of brilliant play from him that tells me it will all be fine once it clicks for him here.

Winning penalty for us but otherwise average game.

That’s the story of his time here so far. A 6/10 with some real promising moments.

I don’t see that as a negative though. He’s holding his own in the team and still getting used to the system.

I’ve got a feeling that he’s going to have a huge impact in the final part of the season.

That’s the story of his time here so far. A 6/10 with some real promising moments.

I don’t see that as a negative though. He’s holding his own in the team and still getting used to the system.

I’ve got a feeling that he’s going to have a huge impact in the final part of the season.

I agree, people too quick to judge him in his first season. I learned my lesson after Rodri and Cancelo, never again i'm going to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.