FA Cup SF | Liverpool | Sat 16 Apr 15:30 | Travel, Ticket & Pub Discussion

We're an ageing fan base. I know when I was younger I would do anything to get to a game. Back then there wasn't wall to wall football and live streams so if you missed it you missed it. All over the country I went to watch us mainly get beat. I was young and fit, could rough it, went with mates and had a blast. Now a lot older the thought of being stuck in traffic on a coach for hours and the same coming back and paying £50+ for a game that if we win; I'll have to do the same journey in a month doesn't appeal. In those old days I would have died happy seeing us win one league cup, now in 14 years we've won 13 trophies and I've been to Wembley countless times.

It's also Easter, families will have made plans and people are getting battered left right and centre with massive rises in the cost of living. If we take 20,000 for such a game 200 miles away we've done brilliantly no matter what the media and Twitter goons say. Fuck them. We're dying off and getting old, tired and medical ailments, it's time for the youngsters to take up the mantle and show the passion we did. After all you've got a much better team to support these days.
Agree with every word. Not only that though, I bought a season ticket in 1985 and it cost me £24 which, allowing for inflation, would be £75 today. Paying what I am now for a season ticket, would have meant me paying £250 then. I can tell you, without any doubt whatsoever, that if it’d cost that in 1985 I wouldn’t have been a match going fan at all.
The replay against Spurs in 1981 was £2.50 (£10 today).
The ‘pitch-invasion‘ FA Cup game against Spuds in 1993 was £8 (£17) today.

Given all that, it’s no big surprise that the next generation are not bothering and, frankly, I don’t blame them in the slightest.

So, not only we’re we younger, it was actually hugely cheaper, in real terms, than it is today.

As a member of Stretford and Urmston OSC, a season ticket holder for 49 years, turning 60 next, who fortunately has a few bob to spare which enables me to go to games where and when I want, even I've started to lose the draw of a game like this.
11 of my family and friends, post COVID bollox had season tickets together sat in block 220. This season 5 of us renewed the tickets, 3 deferred until next year and 3 didn't bother, 2 of which go occasionally on membership cards. 2 of those that deferred are unlikely to renew next season.
Things have happened over recent years that have pissed a lot of people off, and they're falling out of love with the game.
TV streaming and fans coming second, cost, VAR, daft KO times, poor atmospheres, the constant attempts by clubs to give you a match day experience and failing miserably (take me back to the Kippax FFS), shite stewarding, all seater stadia, having to sit next to knob heads you desperately want to thrash to within an inch of their lives, coke heads, UEFA corruption, the Media's attempts to undermine certain clubs, and there are many other reasons.
Our supporters club has about 200 members, 50 are going to this game via the club, a few more might be going under their own steam.
The club is predominantly aged between 40 and 60, with a handful of younger and older folk, next to no kids.
Granted you see plenty of teens, 20's and young kids at The Etihad, but where we sit, we are mostly long in the tooth old fuckers who've been there and done it, and for me its becoming a little less inviting every year.
I really did almost not bother this year, and I've been as passionate and loyal as they come.
Am I alone thinking like this and need putting to sleep?!
Yes we're attracting new fans because of our wonderful and recent success, great team, manager and owners, but which parent or young kid just in work is going to be able to afford to go to games like this when the cost is ridiculous, and just born out of greed by the FA. Whats wrong with £25 and concessions at £10, a pie at £1.50, a drink at £1, they'd still make money.
The money made out of TV contracts, advertising and sponsorship is just phenomenal, time has come for the authorities to recognise the fact that football is nothing without the fans, but it still went on throughout COVID, because money was a stake.
Wrexham and Chesterfield had crowds of around 10000 last weekend, that's where fans are starting to go, Altrincham's crowds are up too. If it wasn't for our success we'd be getting 40000 or less.
Part of me doesn't want the semi to sell out, but we'll not hear about the reasons will we?!

As a fan base we are in a no way win situation regarding wembley, we cannot compete with utd and liverpools fan base, the next big clubs, arsenal, spurs, Chelsea, whu are all London clubs so Wembley is not a problem, any one else like Everton, Leeds, Newcastle, villa etc only get to Wembley now and again , so the fans are up for it, then you have us who have been going regular the last 10 years which takes its toll on supporters.

We're an ageing fan base. I know when I was younger I would do anything to get to a game. Back then there wasn't wall to wall football and live streams so if you missed it you missed it. All over the country I went to watch us mainly get beat. I was young and fit, could rough it, went with mates and had a blast. Now a lot older the thought of being stuck in traffic on a coach for hours and the same coming back and paying £50+ for a game that if we win; I'll have to do the same journey in a month doesn't appeal. In those old days I would have died happy seeing us win one league cup, now in 14 years we've won 13 trophies and I've been to Wembley countless times.

It's also Easter, families will have made plans and people are getting battered left right and centre with massive rises in the cost of living. If we take 20,000 for such a game 200 miles away we've done brilliantly no matter what the media and Twitter goons say. Fuck them. We're dying off and getting old, tired and medical ailments, it's time for the youngsters to take up the mantle and show the passion we did. After all you've got a much better team to support these days.
I agree with all of the above, but fuck it I'm going anyway still as city daft as when I was younger.

As others have said as well, I'm fully expecting the most prickish element of their fand base to be there next week as well.

Around the ground at Wembley pre match is a total shit hole and I don't really fancy it with a load of pissed up scousers to be honest.

or a fan base that just cannot be arsed to make the effort, despite free travel, despite having one of the best teams in the world, truth is, with free travel it would cost less than going 11 years ago, yet thousands are unsold.

I'll get slaughtered for this, but I'm not going out of principal, like many City fans.

I refuse to be a continual cash cow for the FA and Wembley.

FA Cup semi-finals should not be played at Wembley. Especially when they involve 2 North West teams 35 miles apart. Old Trafford would have been ideal for both sets of fans.

That aside. The FA knew 18 Months ago about the railway works. But they ignored that and still decided to hold the semi-final at Wembley.

The FA can f*ck off! They're not having my money, time, and inconvenience. I'll save that for the FA Cup Final.(and the CL Final) ;-)

For those of you going, I sincerely hope you all enjoy the day and the result. :-)

My tickets that I purchased last Friday (1st at 9am) have arrived today.
The tickets that I purchased last Friday (1st at 1pm) but obviously in a separate transaction haven’t arrived. Is this normal? Anyone else had the same?

I'll get slaughtered for this, but I'm not going out of principal, like many City fans.

I refuse to be a continual cash cow for the FA and Wembley.

FA Cup semi-finals should not be played at Wembley. Especially when they involve 2 North West teams 35 miles apart. Old Trafford would have been ideal for both sets of fans.

That aside. The FA knew 18 Months ago about the railway works. But they ignored that and still decided to hold the semi-final at Wembley.

They can f*ck off! They're not having my money, time, and inconvenience. I'll save that for the FA Cup Final.(and the CL Final) ;-)

For those of you going, I sincerely hope you all enjoy the day and the result. :-)
Ditto

My tickets that I purchased last Friday (1st at 9am) have arrived today.
The tickets that I purchased last Friday (1st at 1pm) but obviously in a separate transaction haven’t arrived. Is this normal? Anyone else had the same?
Just going to check post box,I let you know. :-)
Edit nothing there will look again Monday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.