2019 or 2022?

Which was your favourite title run-in?

For me, really close call. 2019 was my favourite title win prior to this season just gone, but I’m now really undecided.

In 2019, we were like a machine. And we had the Kompany goal. And the last day at Brighton was magical. The whole day. What a place to win the league. Plus, all the other stuff we won, weighed against the crushing disappointment of the Spurs game.

2022 had a far more dramatic denouement, and we faltered a little more, although at times in the run-in our football was peak-Pep imo. Wolves away springs to mind. As a backdrop, two of our cup exits were hugely disappointing.

Both were utterly incredible.

It’s a really tough call!
2022 was a proper run-in with twists and turns, we played each other, we were top/they were top/we were top, both dropped points, the drama feeling of doom of dropping points and then the elation when the opponent does the same the next week while the other wins… it’s more of a rollercoaster.

2019 was just WWWWWWWWW for one club and WWWWWWWWWWWWWW for the other.

2019 was a better achievement for both teams, especially City, to win that many games in a row. But as a title run-in, the twists and turns, games against the opponent, and dropped points makes for a much more dramatic run-in.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had to pick between the two, I'd have to say 2022 was the more incredible, if not the more enjoyable year.
2019 was the best City team I have seen. I'm not saying that I thoroughly enjoyed the run in (I didn't. It was fucking torture at times) but there was an underlying sense of confidence that City were good enough to do it, no matter how many breaks that Liverpool team caught.
This year was awful for all sorts of other reasons. We simply weren't as good as before. I honestly thought, at the start of the year, that other teams would cop on on how to stiflle the spaces that the False Nine system thrives/relies on (a few did, in fairness) and therefore, I was convinced we wouldn't get away with having no striker for a second year running. Winning then, was impossible, surely? Add to that the insufferable hype around "the Quad Squad" and well, what worse year for it to go awry..?
Which, thank fuckereee, it didn't. And that felt incredible in the end but not a wholly enjoyable exeperience, I say.

Special mention for 2018: City won the league with 100pts (and another cup too!), Ireland won the Rugby Grand Slam and Limerick won the hurling All-Ireland (after a mere 45 year wait)... I'll never have another year like that.

Last edited:
Does anybody actually find these tight title races enjoyable? For me I'd prefer to win it comfortably, or at least in the final game go 3-0 up early doors so we can relax and enjoy it all. Sure the feeling of relief and euphoria is great when you come back from the dead to win it but the torture you go through prior to that when it looks like you've blown it is awful.

An interesting twist on this question could be asked to Liverpool fans. Which season was the most painful for you when losing the title by one point in 2019 and 2022 to that amazing team called Manchester City haha!!
They'd probably say this one. They at least had the UCL in 2019. This year they set themselves up to be world beaters and came away with 2 domestic cups won on shootouts.

Which was your favourite title run-in?

For me, really close call. 2019 was my favourite title win prior to this season just gone, but I’m now really undecided.

In 2019, we were like a machine. And we had the Kompany goal. And the last day at Brighton was magical. The whole day. What a place to win the league. Plus, all the other stuff we won, weighed against the crushing disappointment of the Spurs game.

2022 had a far more dramatic denouement, and we faltered a little more, although at times in the run-in our football was peak-Pep imo. Wolves away springs to mind. As a backdrop, two of our cup exits were hugely disappointing.

Both were utterly incredible.

It’s a really tough call!
Impressive use of “denouement“, is this the first time it’s appeared on Bluemoon?

An interesting twist on this question could be asked to Liverpool fans. Which season was the most painful for you when losing the title by one point in 2019 and 2022 to that amazing team called Manchester City haha!!

Hopefully with a bit of luck, both caused them untold grief..!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.