UEFA Champions League changes

the more i look at this format the less i understand. no clue how they manage to draw teams in league stage and get a kind of fair draw for each team. have a feeling even uefa doesnt know yet.:D

Shit and bent tournament run by a corrupt regime- will never see a penny out of me again. Best thing they did was price it so that FTA television stations couldn't afford it!

UEFA set to make major Champions League rule change after Man City & Liverpool thrillers (msn.com)

Proposed (confirmed?) changes make my blood boil. It's already a way-overrated competition which has little interest until the qtrs, and now to reach last 16 they want to have 10 games (instead of 6) to qualify for last 16 (if you finish in top 8), or 12 games for the next 16 clubs in a single league. An absolute bloody farce.

And then, when it gets to the business end of things, after all those unnecessary no-interest games, they want to do away with two-leg semis and have a one-legged much-more-of-a-lottery single leg semi, in a neutral location, to be quickly followed by the final at same location (like Portugal in lockdown). So, let's have loads of irrelevant games to reach the key stage, then fuck-it, get it finished asap, with fewer fans being able to attend and, oh yes, four sets of fans in the same city. That's gonna work well.

Fucking MORONS!
You are in a privileged position of being one of the richest clubs in the world. It seems you have forgotten when you had fuck all. Would you have the same view if you were stilll skint and made it? I doubt that very much.

It makes such a difference to the poorer clubs in financial terms. We all don’t have a sugar daddy. I wish we had, but we don’t. Football is now a monopoly of rich mens play things. That’s the main problem. The CL is great for everyone who don’t have a benefactor, a league that gets billions from TV. Everybody knows it’s down to four or five clubs who will win it, but give us a chance to at least take you on.

Reactions: mat
The more I read and see, the more I become disinterested in the game I loved.
City is still THE reason I watch football. Pep, Alfies lad and the rest have replaced other heroes so I am hanging on in there but, if this shit show continues in its greedy way I will be sacking it off.

Looks like the greedy fucks also want us to play in a champions league pre season tournament as well in the USA.

This is another reason why a breakaway super league is inevitable. UEFA and their broadcasting pals want to squeeze even more money out of the clubs. UEFA don't own the clubs and neither do FIFA. But they have become overt commercial competitors to the clubs at the same time as they regulate them (and sometimes sanction them). This is as corrupt as it gets. If City want to play pre-season matches with anyone then they (and their opponents) should control their own broadcasting rights and get all the revenue. What the fuck do UEFA bring to the table other than a group of bloated corrupt pigs who want to line their own pockets.

My understanding is that teams will be put into "pots" as they are currently and each team will play 2 teams from each pot. So we'll be in Pot 1 and will play two other teams from that pot, two from Pot 2 etc. I assume the usual rules about not playing a team from your own association will apply.

8 games against 6 in the current group stages, plus potentially another 2 if you finish in the 9th to 24th spots, then the usual 7 up to and including the final. That's a maximum of 17 against 13 currently. I strongly suspect PL teams in the CL won't be playing in the League Cup.
Have long thought that League Cup should be for Football League clubs, ie championship and below

You are in a privileged position of being one of the richest clubs in the world. It seems you have forgotten when you had fuck all. Would you have the same view if you were stilll skint and made it? I doubt that very much.

It makes such a difference to the poorer clubs in financial terms. We all don’t have a sugar daddy. I wish we had, but we don’t. Football is now a monopoly of rich mens play things. That’s the main problem. The CL is great for everyone who don’t have a benefactor, a league that gets billions from TV. Everybody knows it’s down to four or five clubs who will win it, but give us a chance to at least take you on.
There is no reason why a properly and fairly run super Euro league (not like the one proposed) can't provide even more financial support for clubs in smaller leagues. At the moment the dice are stacked in favour of EUFA. Celtic could benefit hugely from a situation where they got the lions' share of broadcast income from their matches being televised across Europe. The Celtic fanbase is big and could provide huge revenues from a Digital pay-per-view model. At present they just get crumbs from the crooks at UEFA. Digital streaming has changed the world and the clubs don't need the middle men to cream off all the money.
I am not stupid enough to trust the Glazers of this world but, with the correct safeguards for fans in place (perhaps subsidised tickets for matchgoers), a breakway league could be great for clubs like Celtic.

Last edited:

But the Champs League fucks up individual leagues in the various countries. Ignoring the war in Ukraine, Shaktar Donetsk qualified every year. They were never going to win it but the money they made allowed the to dominate the Ukrainian league. That's not right. We were great, went shit and are now great again but as I see what football has become under Sky, the Premier League and separately uefa, I realise I am losing interest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.