UEFA Champions League changes

Don't really get the - "all 36 teams will be in a league where they play 10 games each"??
How the fuck does that work unless you split it into 6 groups of 6 playing home and away, then work out the table?? Any other way could leave clubs playing disproportionately more/less difficult games surely?
As for the "football festival" - I'm retired so it works for me. Anyone working enjoy taking that entire week off - and the expense.
If this happens I think a lot of supporters, from multiple clubs, will turn their back on it
The only supporters who won't eventually turn their backs on it are the football tourists, who already make up an increasing percentage of CL games.
I stopped going to CL games when I found that I was surrounded by happy-snapping trippers with half and half scarves and bagfulls of souvenirs from the club shop.
Plastic football for plastic fans. Just what Soriano and Co want to see.

I thought the fixtures were based on coefficients so the average coefficients of opponents would be roughly equal. It might give us a broader range of opponents in the groups to add some interest, but knowing my luck we'll still miss Benfica, Inter and a few other major clubs I've never seen us play. At least Atletico have now been ticked off.

I think we can all say that the real excitement of a competition like this comes from the jeopardy, the thrill of win or lose.

Group stages are, not boring, but less important. To expand a group stage expands the feeling of less importance,less risk, less interest from the fans.

But, crucially, more money.

A league shoes who is best over a full season and is rightly revered for that. It shows the best team consistently rather than in a knockout. But when the gap between teams is larger then the table will become separated faster, and it becomes a bit of a pointless exercise on the sporting sense. Personally I don't think having a domestic league and a European one will do anything for me. Domestic means more because it's is who we are, where we are from, as a club and mostly as fans.

No idea where all these extra games will fit. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, and it's inevitable as the money men want it, but I really can see fans giving up if the number of games keeps increasing. It just won't feel as special.

But maybe that's preferred, they don't want fans but casual subscribers watching on telly in droves?

I hate the new format. A single league stage including all teams will now take place, with clubs guaranteed to play 10 matches against different opponent.
How is that fair you only play selected teams in a league.
Us- PSG,Real,Juventus,Bayern etc etc
Dippers- Benfica, Seville, Nantes etc etc

I hate the new format. A single league stage including all teams will now take place, with clubs guaranteed to play 10 matches against different opponent.
How is that fair you only play selected teams in a league.
Us- PSG,Real,Juventus,Bayern etc etc
Dippers- Benfica, Seville, Nantes etc etc
I'm looking forward to it, think it will be far better.and once we are into it I think many of those against the change will too.

2 extra places awarded now from 2024.

What the point? Competition is ruined…exactly what they wanted. Load of shit and integrity is lost.

If city and Liverpool do well the 5th place get in. What a joke. Rags will still miss out ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.