Manchester City v Gillingham 2nd Division Play Off Final 1999 23 Years Today.

On holiday with relatively recently-acquired parents-in-law in Brittany for this. Had done the Priestfield 2-0 in the April, but was at the mercy of AM radio from the depths of the French countryside for the playoff. On 90 minutes, went to the local wayside shrine and said a prayer or two. Murderous hot day. Back to the shade, the radio, the interference, the penalty shoot-out. It was the same holiday as the Rags’ Champions League treble, and my late parents-in-law (Celtic, Kilmarnock, and Ayr United, in that order) just did not get the connection with the Manchester team who were shite beyond compare, rather than with the media darlings that won everything and who everybody knew. But Mrs knew, bless her, and still does. Our silver wedding this year coincides with the pre-WC international break, so I won’t have to cancel arrangements for a Saturday 3pm v Brentford. God is kind.

People like the drama of the narrative that we could have gone to the wall. It's even pushed by people who were in and around senior levels of the club at the time. However, in my opinion, there's a large degree of hyperbole

Though the sale of Georgi Kinkladze had significantly alleviated our debt problems in the summer of 1998, we lost GBP 1 million on a turnover of GBP 12 million during the Division Two season. We'd have sold Weaver and/or Wiekens to keep the wolf from the door - probably Gerard, who we could have fetched a couple of million for at the time and replaced with Richard Jobson, who missed all of 1998/9 through injury but who played 40-odd league games the next season in the higher division, ensuring performances wouldn't have suffered unduly.

We'd sold almost 14K season tickets before the play-off final, which was not far off the total for 1998/9, so I'd argue that gates would probably have held up well as long as we had a winning side. And we had a team that, if form from Boxing Day to the end of the season had been averaged over the entire campaign, would have topped 100 points.

Of course, you never know how we'd have fared had we been in the third tier again in 1999/2000. However, I think all logic suggests that we'd have had a great chance of winning automatic promotion in front of gates that stood up well compared with those from the previous campaign. Player sales would have kept us financially solvent, if not in an opulent state, without being unduly detrimental to our ability to compete on the field.

This isn't to deny the vast importance of the result going our way that day. Various circumstances suggest that it's highly unlikely we'd be where we are now had Gillingham closed out a win from their position of 2-0 up as the clock ticked round to 90 minutes.

First, Gary James has stated that we wouldn't have moved to the Commonwealth Games stadium had we stayed down that day. Sport England wouldn't have put in the necessary level of funding for a facility with a tenant in the third tier. That would likely have had implications for takeovers in later years. The new stadium was reportedly a significant factor in the takeovers by both Thaksin and, more importantly, Sheikh Mansour less than a decade later.

Second, we also went into the second tier at a very opportune time in 1999, because the second tier the following season was relatively weak. This allowed us to go straight though. By 2000, teams like Fulham, Bolton and Blackburn (all with major financial backing then) had got their act together and were much improved compared with the previous season when we went up under Royle. I don't think we'd have got promoted ahead of those teams, and with our momentum having slowed, we could easily have become stuck in the second tier for years as happened to teams like Leeds, Forest and Wednesday.

Third, and probably the most important factor of all, is the psychological aspect. All of us who were around in the late 1990s know that City somehow seemed cursed - if there was a way to fuck things up, we would. Winning the play-off in the way we did seemed to cast off that feeling at a stroke. I can't prove it, but I'm convinced the way we got up in 1999 created momentum to allow us to be promoted again in 2000. On the other hand, with a loss against Gillingham, even promotion the next season wouldn't have banished the feeling that City would cock things up when it mattered.

So I very much see the Gillingham game as a 'sliding doors' moment: while it's a matter of conjecture, I think the case is quite compelling that, without our comeback that day, the club's current position would probably be very different. On the other hand, to suggest that it stopped MCFC going to the wall is over the top in my opinion.
I think we could have ended up like Coventry if we hadn't won that play off.

City won, can afford to be! Different where RM, L'pool, Spurs & rags are involved.

Yes, magnanimous in victory is easy. Magnanimous in defeat is a bit more difficult… ;-)

I occasionally made the mistake — which I have long since stopped doing — of going on one or two rival teams' forums which I find more or less welcoming, after we had beaten them, to say how I saw the match. It is an idiot's game, and I grasped that rapidly. Whatever you say, however fair you are — and you may bend over backwards to be fair (going as far as admitting that City didn't really deserve to win when that's the way you genuinely saw it) — it comes over as patronising, and you get a ton of shit back. As I say, a fool's game.

On holiday with relatively recently-acquired parents-in-law in Brittany for this. Had done the Priestfield 2-0 in the April, but was at the mercy of AM radio from the depths of the French countryside for the playoff. On 90 minutes, went to the local wayside shrine and said a prayer or two. Murderous hot day. Back to the shade, the radio, the interference, the penalty shoot-out. It was the same holiday as the Rags’ Champions League treble, and my late parents-in-law (Celtic, Kilmarnock, and Ayr United, in that order) just did not get the connection with the Manchester team who were shite beyond compare, rather than with the media darlings that won everything and who everybody knew. But Mrs knew, bless her, and still does. Our silver wedding this year coincides with the pre-WC international break, so I won’t have to cancel arrangements for a Saturday 3pm v Brentford. God is kind.

Great post.
I suppose if you'd patiently explained to them that we were in fact the dominant team in Manchester (some would say the only team in Manchester) for nearly all of the seventies and indeed, as Gary James has so eloquently demonstrated, for a large chunk of the twentieth century itself, they wouldn't have listened!
Never been to Brittany. I'm told it's really beautiful. Which side were you — Côtes d'Armor coast or Morbihan coast?

That game cost me dearly. My wife had been banging on about viewing a house that was for sale just up the road. After I floated back from the pub having watched us win i would have said yes to anything. We viewed it that evening and subsequently bought it. Bloody City.

Great post.
I suppose if you'd patiently explained to them that we were in fact the dominant team in Manchester (some would say the only team in Manchester) for nearly all of the seventies and indeed, as Gary James has so eloquently demonstrated, for a large chunk of the twentieth century itself, they wouldn't have listened!
Never been to Brittany. I'm told it's really beautiful. Which side were you — Côtes d'Armor coast or Morbihan coast?

Ah, a fine point. My season-ticket holding 15-year-old got into a row with a Rag friend of mine on this very point, Raggie upset at imputation that his lot were from Salford “We’re from Trafford!”, which doesn’t make the name of his club any less misleading.

Morbihan, inland from Vannes and Lorient, iirc. Smashing place, if a little bit off the grid in parts!

With regards to Gillingham they have just been relegated to division four. Shame really as there is potential there for them to do so much more what with being the only league side in Kent.

A lot of their fans were very bitter at what happened but it seemed more directed at Halsey and the five minutes that were added on. I think the proper Gillingham fans actually have a fair bit of respect for us when it comes to others banging on about our history and we’re where you when you were shit etc as they themselves are a massive part of that and our history.

We did play them pretty soon after 99 in a early round league cup game and I don’t think there was any issues.

Hopefully for the gills they can bounce back at the first attempt.

With all the title wins etc Gillingham will always be in our top five games in our history for importance.

With regards to Gillingham they have just been relegated to division four. Shame really as there is potential there for them to do so much more what with being the only league side in Kent.

A lot of their fans were very bitter at what happened but it seemed more directed at Halsey and the five minutes that were added on. I think the proper Gillingham fans actually have a fair bit of respect for us when it comes to others banging on about our history and we’re where you when you were shit etc as they themselves are a massive part of that and our history.

We did play them pretty soon after 99 in a early round league cup game and I don’t think there was any issues.

Hopefully for the gills they can bounce back at the first attempt.

With all the title wins etc Gillingham will always be in our top five games in our history for importance.
I recall we scored late in that game too. The blues were singing “it’s just like Wembley again”
Went there in 2002 under KK when just won the championship
Think it was 4-0

........ There were rumours of us going out of business if we had of lost. Now the worlds richest club and worth around 4-5 billion pounds. Not a bad turnaround. Well done City.
The rumour I remember - and I think was true - was that if we have not won that game and secured promotion to the Championship, the planned move to the City of Manchester Stadium' would have been canned as we would not have been able to afford it.

No move - would have meant no eventual buy out by our current owners and none of us would have experienced the magic of the last 14 years

Funny how things work out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.