US Politics Thread

If you're someone who leans towards Biden than Sanders, towards Starmer than Corbyn, don't mind corporations making billions with no cap whilst people struggle with working to live, don't mind war over dialogue, then you can decide for yourself.
I didn't understand this.

Extremely interesting and informative analysis on the makeup of the Republican party and the waning power of the religious right. For example, it turns out that only 32% or regular Republican church-goers voted for Trump!

Sam Seder thinks that American media's response to the 1/6 hearings is surprising - I do not, as I've detailed above. At any rate, worthwhile viewing Sam's perspective:

What a Centrist News from Centrist sources everywhere :)

If you're someone who leans towards Biden than Sanders, towards Starmer than Corbyn, don't mind corporations making billions with no cap whilst people struggle with working to live, don't mind war over dialogue, then you can decide for yourself.
While I may be a neo-lib, I don’t look at it this way. If I thought Sanders had a better chance of defeating Trump than Biden, I would have voted for Sanders in the primary. And if he had won the nomination I would have happily voted for him and encouraged others to despite the fact that I disagree with him on some topics/ideas (but not all).

I think it can be very hard to grasp what a broad-based threat Trump and Trumpism was and is to America and why I will staunchly support anyone opposing it and those who have the best chance to defeat it. It is a real and immediate threat to the Union still which is why, while Jan 6 is always going to be “theater” like the Watergate hearings were, it’s critical theater. If you don’t stop and punish those who would destroy the sanctity of the electoral process, ALL voices are silenced and no one is better off, regardless of social-economic status, race, creed, whatever — even those who think they are better off in the short run (because they won’t be as soon as they begin to think differently than the autocrat/despot in control).

I just think we’re bringing the wrong drink to today’s party. I understand frustration with incrementalism. I just think we ALL have a bigger problem right now and Jan 6 amplified it 1000-fold. I do think the next wave of American politics is far more progressive and agree with you wholeheartedly that progressives are under-voiced — it just doesn’t come off like that when I write because I need any and every Dem to win regardless of stripe to defeat the greater threat.

While I may be a neo-lib, I don’t look at it this way. If I thought Sanders had a better chance of defeating Trump than Biden, I would have voted for Sanders in the primary. And if he had won the nomination I would have happily voted for him and encouraged others to despite the fact that I disagree with him on a wide variety of topics.

I think it can be very hard to grasp what a broad-based threat Trump and Trumpism was and is to America and why I will staunchly support anyone opposing it and those who have the best chance to defeat it. It is a real and immediate threat to the Union still which is why, while Jan 6 is always going to be “theater” like the Watergate hearings were, it’s critical theater. If you don’t stop and punish those who would destroy the sanctity of the electoral process, ALL voices are silenced and no one is better off, regardless of social-economic status, race, creed, whatever — even those who think they are in the short run (because they won’t be as soon as they begin to think differently than the autocrat/despot in control).

I just think we’re bringing the wrong drink to today’s party. I understand frustration with incrementalism. I just think we ALL have a bigger problem right now and Jan 6 amplified it 1000-fold.
SCOTUS ruled today that even more nuts can have guns less than 5 months before the midterms. We have proud boys, oath keepers, other militias as well as political candidates/members of congress calling for violence. This November is going to be part 2 of the trilogy and 2024 will be the end imo. People are going to die.

What if you’re the first of those things in terms of who you lean to because you think they might have a broader appeal and therefore be more electable but you’re not the rest? You do know it’s more nuanced than you suggest

While I may be a neo-lib, I don’t look at it this way. If I thought Sanders had a better chance of defeating Trump than Biden, I would have voted for Sanders in the primary. And if he had won the nomination I would have happily voted for him and encouraged others to despite the fact that I disagree with him on some topics/ideas (but not all).

I think it can be very hard to grasp what a broad-based threat Trump and Trumpism was and is to America and why I will staunchly support anyone opposing it and those who have the best chance to defeat it. It is a real and immediate threat to the Union still which is why, while Jan 6 is always going to be “theater” like the Watergate hearings were, it’s critical theater. If you don’t stop and punish those who would destroy the sanctity of the electoral process, ALL voices are silenced and no one is better off, regardless of social-economic status, race, creed, whatever — even those who think they are better off in the short run (because they won’t be as soon as they begin to think differently than the autocrat/despot in control).

I just think we’re bringing the wrong drink to today’s party. I understand frustration with incrementalism. I just think we ALL have a bigger problem right now and Jan 6 amplified it 1000-fold. I do think the next wave of American politics is far more progressive and agree with you wholeheartedly that progressives are under-voiced — it just doesn’t come off like that when I write because I need any and every Dem to win regardless of stripe to defeat the greater threat.

There is a LOT to pick the bones of here...

What you've, essentially, done is conflate a lot of things into one situation, so if we're going follow that notion, then what the main problem is, is classism. That is already playing out as I said it would. You've seen the Amazon workers railing against their company and you see it here with the rail strikes.

I don't believe you thought 'Sanders didn't have a chance against Trump' because of this very reason. Trump used classism to get himself in before walking away. Biden has done the same.

The difference between neolibs, right and left, is the exacting of policy instead of promises that are reneged upon once through the door.

You don't want to believe the American citizen (much like here) were sold a false option of who was best to lead these countries by legacy media with vested interests.

It turns out both Sanders and Corbyn policies have deemed to be wildly popular after the fact.

The only reason 'Jan 6th' exists is because the domino effect of the above.

But, let me get back on point; you know nothing will happen to Trump when it comes to charges because the way US media is, it hyper-sensationalises the urgency of US politics which is why there's more incredulity here than in your own country. People see it all the time there.

Your media cries 'Wolf!' a lot. So much so, that your committees present as toothless when it presents 'urgency'. If your country never jailed Nixon, what are they going to do to Trump? Nothing.

Plus you have the fringe loonies that threaten a civil war if anything happens. It's theatre. It might as well be an episode of 'Marvel's 'What If?'.

Failed policies saw Trump walk straight into the White House.

That's the Dems fault and nobody else's as they chose to serve corporation over people.

I rambled a bit as I'm tired and it's been a very long day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.