Wasting money on expensive items

On average most cars spend over 96% of their life parked up not being used, so you've bought a £40000 car (lets say roughly £5000 depreciation over the first year being generous), now worth £35000. You are only really getting £1400 worth of value out of it in the year, or to put it another way you are spending £33600 to have a lump of metal, rubber and glass sit on your driveway.
You're not wrong albeit if you live out in the countryside there really aren't any other options due to the woeful rural transport. Most 40k plus cars you will see are just leased or bought on the never never so actually cost a hell of a lot more.

Do you really waste money on expensive items, surely money is wasted on cheap items.....

This.

A lesson I learned far too late in the day.

It makes far more sense to buy expensive clothes and treat them well than contributing to the disease that is fast fashion. It’s better for the planet, plus you’ll treat those clothes very well and if you do it right they’ll be timeless. Or buy some shitty H&M gear each and every month.

Same for cars. Buy a piece of junk and pay for endless servicing.

I own a few luxury watches and they are great conversation starters and people who dismiss them need to understand them better. The sheer level of diligence that goes into making them is remarkable.

Anyone who is remotely interested in, or curious about horology could do worse than have a butchers at the urban gentry on you tube.
Now this fella knows his subject, he owns a few high end pieces, but he also champions budget watches and microbrands, and also studies and shares the history of watch and clockmaking.
Great channel

Not a dig but I’d also be interested in how many people here would look down on “wasting money” on luxury items but would go into a bookies weekly. I grew up dirt poor and I have never given the bookies a cent as I saw the damage they did to families.

And food? People looking at Salt Bae and wondering what it’s all about, but how many times go into a pub and waste 100 quid on warm piss?

For me it comes down to quality v quantity, if you want something nice, plan for it and avoid wasting cash elsewhere.

Mums spending big bucks on designer shoes for children who will outgrow them in a few months

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.