It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I personally think we'll play a lot with the 3-5-2 that pep introduced for a while when Mendy arrived, should cucurella sign.

Accommodates more direct play and cut backs for haaland, potentially grealish/Alvarez as a deep 10. Phillips and Rodri at times with maybe even Rodri as 1 of the 3 centrebacks - when we attack he steps into MF and the wingback on the opposite side to our attack drops as the 3rd defender. Walker can also be more versatile in that system.

Loads of fluidity, hard to figure out and loads of excellent players to rotate
That leaves for the 2 attackers and 3 midfielders
Phillips, Rodri, KDB, Bernardo, Gundogan, Foden , Grealish,Mahrez, Palmer , Alvarez, Haaland.and Mcatee too.
That’s too many player to be playing 352 too often.But just 4 centre backs for 3 positions.

Possibly yes, but the system I'm talking about would alway have one of the wingbacks in the 3 if we're attacking and open for counter attack. If we're attacking up the left, walker/cancelo drops in. Attack up the right and cucurella drops in to provide cover.

Tbf, it's a variation on what we played last year for the most part but with greater onus on the wingbacks producing chances.

Could be totally wrong but adding Alvarez, Phillips, haaland and cucurella then losing wide attackers like raz and (last season) Gabby it would appear to me that wingbacks with 2 up top or at least a 9 and deeper 10 is what we're trying to achieve - if only as a second game plan.

Regardless, we're scoring bucket loads next season
Sure, it’s the 5-0-5 formation. 5 defenders and 5 attackers playing a system where they know where they need to be positionally wherever the ball is.

Phillips, Rodri, KDB, Bernardo, Gundogan, Foden , Grealish,Mahrez, Palmer , Alvarez, Haaland.and Mcatee too.
That’s too many player to be playing 352 too often.But just 4 centre backs for 3 positions.
Not necessarily, as I said Rodri/Phillips could be part of the starting "back 3" because on the attack they move onto midfield while the wingback on the opposite side drops in as cover.

Just look at the early part of 17/18 and in particular the team and set up when we spanked the dippers 5-0. Exact scenario I'm describing, but Mendy did his knee and we reverted to the 4-3-3. Cucurella is this year's Mendy (only hopefully not made of glass and the off field shit)

Mcatee isn't going to feature much, lets be honest. Palmer will be bit-part, last season was ruined by injury so he's in the same place he was last year to all intents and purposes. That leaves 5 spots for 9 players - when everyone is fit. Manageable.

And, of course, the system can change during the game or to fit the opposition

SUMMARY: For any visitors who look in on this thread and want a quick update but no more…

2 Out

Ake to Chelsea
Zinchenko to Arsenal

3 In

Cucurella to CITY
Centre Half to CITY
Left Back to CITY

That’s probably the majority guess as of today with more news of outgoings than incoming again. Gvardiol stories faded and Torres cropped up again though nothing but rumours. Absolutely no names yet for Zin replacement with Cucurella thought to be the Mendy replacement.

I’ll post one of these most evenings around this time on this thread

You are welcome.

Last edited:

De jong needs to be sold for them to register Kessie and Christensen. How are they going to be able fund €100 mill sale in Bernie. Remember 50 million more to Bayern and another 50 plus for Kounde. Add another 15 to Chelsea for Their fullbacks. It ain’t realistic

De jong needs to be sold for them to register Kessie and Christensen. How are they going to be able fund €100 mill sale in Bernie. Remember 50 million more to Bayern and another 50 plus for Kounde. Add another 15 to Chelsea for Their fullbacks. It ain’t realistic

It is if the FFP rules don’t apply and you can show the debt is manageable.

In the real world these chancers would be behind bars for fraudulent malpractice.

Unless we have a top prospect to play 4th choice centre back I wouldn’t mind an old head who is happy for one final experience and isn’t expecting to play every week.

Thiago Silva?
Boateng?
Pique?

Just throwing names out there ;)

We aint playing 3-5-2 reguraly no chance
To many good midfielders be sitting it out .agreed mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.