10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't like Grealish and we all can see it. I agree that he was not good last game. But the fact is that he started mostly all PL games since returning from injury except Liverpool Wolves(midweek rotation) and Villa.

We could win the title against West Ham and he started in that game. It showed the trust. Against Villa he was not picked up but why pick a player the opposition know the best while you have other options?

Look. I’ve read a lot of your posts, most are quite good. But ask any City fan, any regular game going City fan over the age of 30, and they’ll be shitting it that Jesus & Sterling will score against us. It’s basically an unwritten sod’s law type of thing.

I didn’t leave Grealish out of the Villa game, or the CL quarters or semi finals. He was left out because other players were/are simply better and more dangerous.

Your idea that I don’t like Grealish is frankly nonsense. I like the lad, I really hope he shoves to all the critics.
But, I’m not going to just love him in blind faith.
Let’s be honest, he’s been pretty ordinary so far and his direct goal involvements have been frankly shocking.

I’m not alone in thinking this, and even his fan boys make excuses for him. Which is fine, admirable in fact, but if he wasn’t so underwhelming, they wouldn’t need the excuses, they’d just say he was playing well. But he’s not playing well, he’s not performed to expectations. Hence the need for excuses/rationalisation.

Better players have been moved on to accommodate him, so, there’s a shit tonne of pressure on him. He simply has to deliver. I really hope he does, but so far I’ve seen nothing in his game to suggest he will.

So he didn't bench him for practically the whole title run in like you said.

Yes, the biggest games, this is boring now. 7 of the last 13 league games, non of the last 4 CL games. So he started 7/17 in the run in..

However you want to continue this, facts remain he was no where near good enough last season. Fingers crossed he’s far better this season.

----

Here are the last 13 PL games.
Grealish was injured vs Tottenham. Returning from injury and could not play vs Everton (Confirmed from Pep prematch interview). - 2 games
Started vs MU, CrystalP, Burnley, Watford,Leeds,Newcastle,West ham, 7 games.
Benched vs Liverpool, Brighton and Wolves, and Villa - 4 games.

Out of his fitness allowed 11 games he started 7, benched 4. Two of them were midweek rotation.

Plz stick to the facts.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 22.33.08.png

Its boring because you don't appear able to admit you were wrong. You never mentioned the big games - I've quoted it numerous times now you said.

'Pep benched him for practically the whole title run in'

You are wrong! he played more than all but kdb in the last 6 games.

I've never mentioned his ability or performance. Nor did i mention the champion league. So I'm not sure why you keep responding with this?

Because the champions league games were the big games. Villa was the biggest game. He was left out. He was basically used as a rotational player for the last few games.

In the last 8 league games he started against, Watford, Leeds, West Ham & Newcastle, was left out of Liverpool, Brighton, Wolves and Villa. He was also left out of all 4 games against Real & Atleti.

For me, that’s him being left out of the key games in the run in, and shows exactly where his form was and where Pep saw him.

He’s being labelled a bench warmer by rival fans & the media alike. That’s because he was left out of all the big games.. He’s not got that tag because he was our most used whatever..

Because the champions league games were the big games. Villa was the biggest game. He was left out. He was basically used as a rotational player for the last few games.

In the last 8 league games he started against, Watford, Leeds, West Ham & Newcastle, was left out of Liverpool, Brighton, Wolves and Villa. He was also left out of all 4 games against Real & Atleti.

For me, that’s him being left out of the key games in the run in, and shows exactly where his form was and where Pep saw him.

He’s being labelled a bench warmer by rival fans & the media alike. That’s because he was left out of all the big games.. He’s not got that tag because he was our most used whatever..
I give in - you seem incapable of actually responding to the single point i replied to no matter how many times i state it.

Yes, the biggest games, this is boring now. 7 of the last 13 league games, non of the last 4 CL games. So he started 7/17 in the run in..

However you want to continue this, facts remain he was no where near good enough last season. Fingers crossed he’s far better this season.

----

Here are the last 13 PL games.
Grealish was injured vs Tottenham. Returning from injury and could not play vs Everton (Confirmed from Pep prematch interview). - 2 games
Started vs MU, CrystalP, Burnley, Watford,Leeds,Newcastle,West ham, 7 games.
Benched vs Liverpool, Brighton and Wolves, and Villa - 4 games.

Out of his fitness allowed 11 games he started 7, benched 4. Two of them were midweek rotation.

Plz stick to the facts.

View attachment 51488

Facts are, last 8 games, benched for 4, and quarters and semis. So, started 4/12 of our most important games of the season.

But the single most telling thing was, we needed 3 goals in 20 minutes. Where was Grealish, on the bench. Why? Because throughout the whole season he’d shown that winning/changing a game was beyond him at City. Hopefully that changes..

When Gundogan came on, or Sterling came on, not one fan was screaming for Grealish. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:
Look. I’ve read a lot of your posts, most are quite good. But ask any City fan, any regular game going City fan over the age of 30, and they’ll be shitting it that Jesus & Sterling will score against us. It’s basically an unwritten sod’s law type of thing.

I didn’t leave Grealish out of the Villa game, or the CL quarters or semi finals. He was left out because other players were/are simply better and more dangerous.

Your idea that I don’t like Grealish is frankly nonsense. I like the lad, I really hope he shoves to all the critics.
But, I’m not going to just love him in blind faith.
Let’s be honest, he’s been pretty ordinary so far and his direct goal involvements have been frankly shocking.

I’m not alone in thinking this, and even his fan boys make excuses for him. Which is fine, admirable in fact, but if he wasn’t so underwhelming, they wouldn’t need the excuses, they’d just say he was playing well. But he’s not playing well, he’s not performed to expectations. Hence the need for excuses/rationalisation.

Better players have been moved on to accommodate him, so, there’s a shit tonne of pressure on him. He simply has to deliver. I really hope he does, but so far I’ve seen nothing in his game to suggest he will.

I agree that he needs improvement.

But what to do with Jesus and Sterling? They both showed lack of interest to extend the contract BEFORE Grealish was brought. Jesus wanted the striker role and Sterling refused to extend the contract in 20/21 season. Club management had to find a back up plan to avoid the worst thing happen.

I give in - you seem incapable of actually responding to the single point i replied to no matter how many times i state it.

You are just isolating 7 games that’s why.

starting just 4 of the 12 most important games(the run in) is exactly what I meant.

I agree that he needs improvement.

But what to do with Jesus and Sterling? They both showed lack of interest to extend the contract BEFORE Grealish was brought. Jesus wanted the striker role and Sterling refused to extend the contract in 20/21 season. Club management had to find a back up plan to avoid the worst thing happen.

That’s beyond my knowledge as a fan, my gut is, if Jesus was given Grealish’s minutes before Christmas, he’d have signed a new deal.
But that’s just a guess, based on hearsay, you’ve heard he wanted no.9 I heard he wanted to play wide.

For me, Jesus is a far better fit for City and younger. But we’ll have to see.

That’s beyond my knowledge as a fan, my gut is, if Jesus was given Grealish’s minutes before Christmas, he’d have signed a new deal.
But that’s just a guess, based on hearsay, you’ve heard he wanted no.9 I heard he wanted to play wide.

For me, Jesus is a far better fit for City and younger. But we’ll have to see.

"If Jesus was given Grealish's minutes before Christmas"? Where is this coming from??

Before Christmas there was only 2 PL games that Grealish started but Jesus did not.
First time against Watford - Grealish just returned from injury/needed some minutes to find rhythm and Jesus just played a game 3 days ago. Understandable rotation.
Second time against Leeds - Grealish played an outstanding game.
And Jesus had a lot of starts when Grealish was not starting (for injury or just rotation).

Jesus got more starts in the PL - Grealish was injured for several weeks in the middle.

In CL group stage, Pep clearly trusted Mahrez in the right wing role more and did some Foden False 9 experiment (that fantastic Club Brugge game away). So Jesus did not get more chances there.

I cannot see how Grealish starts could be given to Jesus before Christmas.

Jesus featured less and less after the Christmas and linked with Arsenal at the same time when City was chasing Halaand. It is very clear that he left because of Halaand's arrival.

And this is what he said in the interview
--
'I'm a No 9!': Gabriel Jesus sends clear message to Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta that he wants to play as a striker and not on the wing after his £45m move - even though he says he 'can play three or four positions' in the front line"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.