10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that after a season with us we are benching someone better than him in any position you want to put him in. Foden is better than him wide. KDB and Bernie are better than him central. I like Grealish, I think he is a very good player and he can do a job here. However, at the moment he is a squad player and only he can change that.
Exactly this

He last assist to Halaand is with his left leg. He dropped to the byline once to feed Halaand but Halaand did not win against VVD.

The real problem is Mahrez who has no right foot at all. And both Mahrez and KDB did not arrive into the box as often as it need. So when Grealish looked up there was only one striker in the box against Liverpool very capable center backs. A cross would be meaningless. So he just cut inside to try to drag the space on the right to find Mahrez who parked there all the time.

When Alvarez came on we had two targets in the box thus it was much better.
Why blame Mahrez for Grealishs performance, when Mahrez has a poor game, which is less often than Grealish, he can still pull something out (often scoring) other than retaining possession or falling over, Grealish contributing anything else is rarer than a Bluemoon.

The problem is that after a season with us we are benching someone better than him in any position you want to put him in. Foden is better than him wide. KDB and Bernie are better than him central. I like Grealish, I think he is a very good player and he can do a job here. However, at the moment he is a squad player and only he can change that.
We’re going to need to rotate more than ever this season with the World Cup, so I’d have any two from De Bruyne, Bernardo, Gundogan and Grealish playing as the attacking midfielders. Would give Grealish time to adapt to the role, especially if Bernardo goes next summer. It’d mean we’re a little light in terms of forwards though, with only four senior players (plus Palmer) competing for three places.

Really think he needs to be playing in the middle as an 8 to see the best of him. Doesn’t seem particularly well suited to the wide left role, especially when paired with another right footer in Cancelo at left-back. Makes the team seem a bit unbalanced.
basically grealish and mahrez play exactly the same. only difference is mahrez can score. if mahrez was a bad finisher he too would be useless as a winger. both would be good attacking midfielders in a different life.

It’s down to both of them but also Pep. Pep wants complete control of the game, even to the extent that he wants wingers to pass back instead of attacking full backs. I think Grealish and Mahrez are more than happy to oblige and that’s why they shouldn’t play together. It’s all too safe.

IMO Mahrez is a Pep yes man, that’s why Jesus and Sterling are elsewhere and he is the one that got the new contract. He is the only one of the three that was ok with playing 15 PL games a season. Grealish is falling into the same trap and it’s a mistake. He would be better off following the likes of Foden and producing the off-the-cuff things (even if means getting the odd telling off from the gaffer) that made us want him in the 1st place.

At the moment he is a Mahrez clone but without the goals, and that is not a £100m player.
so you are blaming the best manager in the world for his poor performances? Really?

have you not heard the clips from the new documentary where pep is talking to the squad last season saying things like "you have my permission to lose, you have my permission to lose the ball you have my permission to get things wrong but you must want the ball etc"

Grealish has a long and very very important season in front of him......the excuses will start to run thin if he doesnt start to step up...its upto him to do so....Jesus and Sterling despite being moved on can still be called huge successes at this club..they both hugely added to the success we have had over the last seasons under Pep....Grealish has yet added anything

he was bought as a replacement to bernardo when he was pushing to leave.

We’re going to need to rotate more than ever this season with the World Cup, so I’d have any two from De Bruyne, Bernardo, Gundogan and Grealish playing as the attacking midfielders. Would give Grealish time to adapt to the role, especially if Bernardo goes next summer. It’d mean we’re a little light in terms of forwards though, with only four senior players (plus Palmer) competing for three places.
I’m inclined to agree. The reason being if you are playing wide forward in this team I think you should be providing 20 G/A per season minimum. In fairness to Mahrez he has that in his locker. I am not convinced that Grealish does. Grealish would arguably add more in rotation in the middle of the park than he does in rotation wide left.

Can he use his left leg, or does he only do it to go up the stairs?
He keeps going to his right, everyone knows it. Grealish is not winger and it won't help as much as we would like to believe he is. He is a good player who should play in the center.
Problem is that IF that is true (and Im not sure there is any evidence that Grealish would be better centrally) then he is fucked cause every other player is better than him in there as well (KDB, Gundogan, Foden bernardo) - the onyl one who couldnt play the central mid role is Mahrez

He last assist to Halaand is with his left leg. He dropped to the byline once to feed Halaand but Halaand did not win against VVD.

The real problem is Mahrez who has no right foot at all. And both Mahrez and KDB did not arrive into the box as often as it need. So when Grealish looked up there was only one striker in the box against Liverpool very capable center backs. A cross would be meaningless. So he just cut inside to try to drag the space on the right to find Mahrez who parked there all the time.

When Alvarez came on we had two targets in the box thus it was much better.
He had a chance to do that today and didnt...same run (bit wider and had space to put the ball across and didnt and there were runners (including Haaland) in the box

basically grealish and mahrez play exactly the same. only difference is mahrez can score. if mahrez was a bad finisher he too would be useless as a winger. both would be good attacking midfielders in a different life.
No.

They played exactly the opposite role. Grealish task is to attract as much defenders to create room on the opposite flank. And Mahrez task is to use this room after switch to finish. In recent podcast by Pol they discussed about how Mahrez enjoyed these switches which boosted his stats.

However - it is not the most efficient way to use our squad now after two new strikers joined. Mahrez is no longer the best finisher and the tactics should build on how to utilize the strikers instead of creating room for Mahrez.

I am not blaming him ...just saying we need a change. But Pep still used the same game plan today and it was not efficient today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.