10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack needs to improve a lot, otherwise he will be benched sooner, than it happened last year...

Last year it was OK, Pep's system takes time, we knew Jack's skills and potential, so there was nothing to worry about..

Now, it's time to make a step forward...

Cause last year we had 5 attackers and 0 centre forwards.. Torres got injured and sold, Palmer also had a big injury.. So Pep had to use Foden and Sterling as False9s and as a result - he had minutes for Jack..

Now this situation has changed.. Foden will be fully dedicated to LW / RW positions, I don't think Pep will use him as a False9 anymore.. Palmer is back and hopefully will have a full season.. Young Alvarez needs time and has hunger to be involved in all three positions.. Mahrez..

So Jack has quite a competition here.. 6 goals and 4 assists like last season, won't be enough, even 12 goals and 8 assists.. Jesus + Sterling had 30 goals and 20 assists last season.. Who will fill that gap ? It must be Jack, cause Foden + Mahrez scored like 38 goals and had 25 assists, you can't expect more from them.. Haaland will hopefully score at least 20 goals, but 10 goals and 20 assists should come from Jack + Julian + Palmer and most responsibility lies here on Jack, you can't expect those numbers from young boys..

Jack has 'make-or-break' season, that's the fact..

Jack needs to improve a lot, otherwise he will be benched sooner, than it happened last year...

Last year it was OK, Pep's system takes time, we knew Jack's skills and potential, so there was nothing to worry about..

Cause last year we had 5 attackers and 0 centre forwards.. Torres got injured and sold, Palmer also had a big injury.. So Pep had to use Foden and Sterling as False9s and as a result - he had minutes for Jack..

Now this situation has changed.. Foden will be fully dedicated to LW / RW positions, I don't think Pep will use him as a False9 anymore.. Palmer is back and hopefully will have a full season.. Young Alvarez needs time and has hunger to be involved in all three positions.. Mahrez..

So Jack has quite a competition here.. 6 goals and 4 assists like last season, won't be enough, even 12 goals and 8 assists.. Jesus + Sterling had 30 goals and 20 assists last season.. Who will fill that gap ? It must be Jack, cause Foden + Mahrez scored like 38 goals and had 25 assists, you can't expect more from them.. Haaland will hopefully score at least 20 goals, but 10 goals and 20 assists should come from Jack + Julian + Palmer and most responsibility lies here on Jack, you can't expect those numbers from young boys..

Agree with most of what you said but just one thing.
"Jesus + Sterling had 30 goals and 20 assists last season.. Who will fill that gap ?"
The apparent answer are Halaand and Alvarez...
Perhaps it sounds weird but I have a feeling that our winger/midfielder should actually change their mindset of scoring instead of focusing more on serving the strikers! It was so obvious in the last 30 min of the game when Liverpool served their striker chances after chances but we were not!

He doesn't have anywhere to hide - this season he needs to show us how good he is. Foden came on and did so much more, whilst they might be different players Jack does need to make more of an effort off the ball to get in behind and get into scoring positions. He always wants the ball to feet and to create for others, that's his strength - running with the ball but unless he has a full back overlapping or runners in behind I'm not sure how effective he can be in our team. There's no point running with it to then pass it backwards.

I have a feeling he'll strike up a really good relationship with Haaland and Alvarez and produce this season though.

I still think Grealish would be more effective playing more central in order to be less predictable having options either side and can commit the defenders a bit more. He has quality, no doubt, we just haven’t seen it anywhere near consistently enough.

I do fancy him to have a much improved season this time around though.

Maybe a loan (with an option to buy) back to villa to rekindle his spark?
LOL we are rich but FFS, how much would the fee be, you would struggle to get 1/2 your money back with his form last season.

The club and Grealish simply cannot afford to have him to have another meh season, he has to hit the ground running, starting at West Ham.

It’s not far wrong to say he’s playing out of position. Although maybe that’s the wrong way to put it.

Someone posted that average heat map of when he’s at Villa to here and there’s a clear difference. At Villa he was drifting all over the width of the pitch in the opposition half. Here it shows he’s very pretty restricted to playing out by the left touchline for the most part.

So it’s very evident that he had a more of a free role at Villa. But here we play with a different kind of discipline and have quality players all over the pitch, so it’s not necessary for us to have him in a free role.

But I do think he needs to play with more confidence and be more direct. There has been too many times when he could have gone at defenders and made things happen but he’s opted not to lose the ball and play it safe. Whether that’s instructed or a choice, I don’t know, but if you want a player to just keep the ball by playing a short pass back 2 seconds after getting it, it doesn’t take a £100m player to do that.

We have seen something in him that made us pay that fee and I don’t think it was just putting him on the pitch to play 2 yard passes. We’ve seen flashes of how good he can be, the ability is there. So even if his role here is more restricted in terms of positioning, I still think he can do much more within that and I think he is allowed more freedom than it has appeared.

I think we’ll see improvements from last season. He’s not the new boy anymore and seems to be a confident and good character around the players and that could be a sign of being settled, so maybe that will be reflected on the pitch. I’d imagine most eyes will be on Haaland now, rather than everyone looking at Grealish and his price tag and some of the weight of expectation is off and he can just play.

Spot on. At the moment any average player can play the way he's playing. You pay the big bucks for somebody special, a game changer/winner otherwise there's no point buying them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.