Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

The Spirals hold the roof system in place. They are there to stay.

If you tried to move the footprint of east and west out you’d have 8 huge concete spirals in the middle of any concourse/corporate areas.

Taking the spirals out is a complete no go.

Any planned extension to ES or CB was just to raise the corners no in line with higher seats on SSL3 and a potential NSL3 Possibly extra 5-8000 seats?

In terms of aesthetics, my question would be around the “mesh” that sits around the 3rd tier, is it necessary for ventilation or could LED screens go round the top.

This isn’t accurate. There are actually designs out there showing the sides expanded since they were part of the clubs original feasibility study.

Any work to expand the sides would be a huge job. The spirals would probably end up inside the expansion (like with the current work at Real Madrid) and potentially there would be new externals in front of and between the spiral.

They’d likely have to do both sides at the same time so that neither side was dependant on the original cable net meaning they could also construct above the spirals. There would then be a period where the stands would be without a roof unless they came up with some sort of temporary cover solution.

When the times comes (10+ years) then it’s going to be one hell of a major re-work. It might even be too messy to pull off.

This isn’t accurate. There are actually designs out there showing the sides expanded since they were part of the clubs original feasibility study.

Any work to expand the sides would be a huge job. The spirals would probably end up inside the expansion (like with the current work at Real Madrid) and potentially there would be new externals in front of and between the spiral.

They’d likely have to do both sides at the same time so that neither side was dependant on the original cable net meaning they could also construct above the spirals. There would then be a period where the stands would be without a roof unless they came up with some sort of temporary cover solution.

When the times comes (10+ years) then it’s going to be one hell of a major re-work. It might even be too messy to pull off.
You wonder if it would be worth the hassle of no roof, potential part closure of stands as well as the huge investment to go further back on east and west. It’s already quite far from the pitch at the top of those stands so any new seats further back wouldn’t be premium and quick return on investment.

So makes me think the new north development needs to shoehorn as many as possible in as well as a maybe a couple of thousand in the corners to take us between 62-64k. Possibly if safestanding allows i future we could change ratio to squeeze in another 1-2k.
A nice exterior with led wrap and possible making the glass atriums much bigger on east and west to improve concourse size and we’d have a pretty cool stadium. Not too tricky to sell out but big enough to be impressive and accommodating a growing fan base.

You wonder if it would be worth the hassle of no roof, potential part closure of stands as well as the huge investment to go further back on east and west. It’s already quite far from the pitch at the top of those stands so any new seats further back wouldn’t be premium and quick return on investment.

So makes me think the new north development needs to shoehorn as many as possible in as well as a maybe a couple of thousand in the corners to take us between 62-64k. Possibly if safestanding allows i future we could change ratio to squeeze in another 1-2k.
A nice exterior with led wrap and possible making the glass atriums much bigger on east and west to improve concourse size and we’d have a pretty cool stadium. Not too tricky to sell out but big enough to be impressive and accommodating a growing fan base.

Yeah, there’s the possibility it might not happen. We could just see the roof repaired and a new exterior etc with the club happy to sit at just over 60k.

Perhaps a new stadium in a couple of decades time instead!

The Spirals hold the roof system in place. They are there to stay.

If you tried to move the footprint of east and west out you’d have 8 huge concete spirals in the middle of any concourse/corporate areas.

Taking the spirals out is a complete no go.

Any planned extension to ES or CB was just to raise the corners no in line with higher seats on SSL3 and a potential NSL3 Possibly extra 5-8000 seats?

In terms of aesthetics, my question would be around the “mesh” that sits around the 3rd tier, is it necessary for ventilation or could LED screens go round the top.

Nobody else except for yourself has mentioned removing the spirals?

The 4th picture shows E & W stands extended back (by quite a lot) as well as extended into the corners. That is what will possibly give us a much larger footprint for the exterior. The terraces will over shadow them.

No I think there will be screens in each corner and the openness for air flow. Looking at the images for a fully expanded stadium it looks as though the side stands extend and curve into the corners more but whether that actually will happen who knows!View attachment 59244

Nobody else except for yourself has mentioned removing the spirals?

The 4th picture shows E & W stands extended back (by quite a lot) as well as extended into the corners. That is what will possibly give us a much larger footprint for the exterior. The terraces will over shadow them.

I reckon they could get rid of the spirals if they needed to. Keep the structural element but amend how people get to the upper tiers. Envelope them within an expanded stand. Who knows. All guess work at this stage, but there's nothing that money can't do.

The club referenced Bayern, Barca, Real and the rags in the SS/NS application. They want a premier venue capable of holding more than 70,000 people. We're currently around 53,500 and looking at around 6,200 more from the NS if it mirrors the South. That's just shy of 60,000 and we'd need to add 10,000 seats by filling in the corners/adding to the side stands. The swamp has the capacity but fuck all else going for it. The wider facilities being improved will be fundamental to us being considered a premium ground. The side stands offer the most reward for hospitality - that's where 80% of revenue for the club could come from.

We'll soon see if all the talk of the NS expansion is true. I'm sure they've revisited the side stands and feasibility work as part of this. Hopefully some more images are released of what the ground could look like.

City don't own the stadium. City have a 250 year lease on the stadium. City prefer to lease it for £4mill a year.(think that's correct?) City can buy the stadium if they want to buy it. There won't be no new stadium or demolition of parts of the Etihad bar expanding the North Stand. The North Stand will be expanded taking the capacity to 60k+ and that will probably be it. City might do something with the exterior of the stadium, but I don't think that's a priority atm, if at all?

Possibly if safestanding allows i future we could change ratio to squeeze in another 1-2k.
Safe standing in Germany works on a 1.8 ratio. If we were allowed to work the same way in the UK, I could see City implementing safe standing right across ESL1 and NSL1 too. There are over 10k seats there currently, so that would expand the capacity right up over 8k.

Redevelop the North Stand (adding a further 6k) and we would be sorted for the next decade at least.

City don't own the stadium. City have a 250 year lease on the stadium. City prefer to lease it for £4mill a year.(think that's correct?) City can buy the stadium if they want to buy it. There won't be no new stadium or demolition of parts of the Etihad bar expanding the North Stand. The North Stand will be expanded taking the capacity to 60k+ and that will probably be it. City might do something with the exterior of the stadium, but I don't think that's a priority atm, if at all?

I doubt they'll care too much about cosmetics if they can spend money on generating revenue instead. It would be nice to have lighting externally, but it doesn't really matter too much. I'd prefer they spent money on finding a better version of Blue Moon to play before games!

Safe standing in Germany works on a 1.8 ratio. If we were allowed to work the same way in the UK, I could see City implementing safe standing right across ESL1 and NSL1 too. There are over 10k seats there currently, so that would expand the capacity right up over 8k.

Redevelop the North Stand (adding a further 6k) and we would be sorted for the next decade at least.

There’s little chance of safe standing on ESL1. That’s just Kippax fantasy stuff haha :)

Any other safe standing is going to be as part of the expanded North Stand you’d have to imagine.

Plus the group has got to spend up to £400m to build a new showpiece stadium for New York City FC in Queens. I think infrastructure investment (which is exempt from FFP) probably comes from the same CFG pot. I agree we will do the North Stand and then cash in on the huge revenue opportunities including those created by the new arena.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.