Manuel Pellegrini

He was the caretaker until Pep was confirmed and his race was run when that was announced, everyone went on the beach.

However his first season was fantastic, great football, long winning/unbeaten runs, goals galore, champions and cup winners.

Negredo,Dino and Jesus were great signings.

His tenure and success have been overshadowed by Pep but he should be respected for his achievements under quite difficult circumstances.

Gracias Manuel y Bon chance against the vermin.

"Mancini - hat in hand - is next seen kissing Tevez's ass - begging for him to come back"

You are completely wrong on that point. I know first hand that the directors backed Mancini, and Tevez, great player that he was, was not coming back untill he apologised, which he did. He then played brilliantly to the end of the season. IMO Mancini was not the man to lick anyones ass and was the man who vowed to take down the banner, and did in spectacular fashion and is one of the main reasons why he is loved by a large proportion of our fans.
PS. I was in Munich that night for the game and believe me when it filtered through after the game what had happened we were livid, as he could have made a difference
Cheers.

I agree that management backed Mancini in the Tevez incident.

On the other hand - Mancini made a catastrophic mistake in trying to win Tevez back.

Going hat-in-hand to Tevez - begging him to come back - oh, please, oh please, oh, please! - means simply that Tevez was right to walk out on Mancini - and more importantly - it sets the precedent that players have more power than the gaffer.

As soon as Mancini capitulates to Tevez - he has zero respect in the dressing room.
===
Would not begging Tevez to come back have made any difference to Mancini's career at City - probably not. Mancini pissed everyone off - and City ownership wanted only one thing - get Pep in as manager whatever it takes.

Last edited:
Cheers.

On the other hand - Mancini made a catastrophic mistake in trying to win Tevez back.

Going hat-in-hand to Tevez - begging him to come back - oh, please, oh please, oh, please! - means simply that Tevez was right to walk out on Mancini - and more importantly - it sets the precedent that players have more power than the gaffer.

As soon as Mancini capitulates to Tevez - he has zero respect in the dressing room.
===
Would not begging Tevez to come back have made any difference to Mancini's career at City - probably not. Mancini pissed everyone off - and City ownership wanted only one thing - get Pep in as manager whatever it takes.
Fair points, apart from just one - getting Tevez back was IMHO the catalyst for us winning the PL that season. Hardly catastrophic.

Much like Mancini was needed at that time (to take the fight to Fergie and that lot) I also felt like Pellegrini was the perfect man for the situation too. He knew Pep was coming in and acted with dignity and also won us a couple of trophies and playing a decent style of football along the way!

Cheers.

===
We really do see this differently. I dont recall Mancini begging Tevez to return at all. Memory can play tricks but I thought Mancini was not bothered whether he played for City again, the directors probably looked for a conciliatory agreement. But the bottom line from the directors was that Tevez would not play for City again untill he apologised and there was no nudge room on this. This was conveyed to Tevez and eventually he apologised. I don't think the Tevez incident was the catalyst for players to conspire against him, I am sure there were players who thought Tevez was stupid. But at the end of the day managers manage and players play and when these roles get confused we end up with a performance like the Wigan cup final. Mancini will forever hold a place in many City supporters hearts for a good reason, Tevez will be remembered as a good player but is not held in the same high regard as the manager who told united what he was going to do, then did it. Thats the man he was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.