The Titanic

Traditional subs can be opened from the inside. They have them spinney handle thingys. Sorry for the technical terminology.

I’m no expert but on a sub you can just build a door that’s 6 inches thick and slap a valve on it so you don’t have to bolt/unbolt it every time - makes it logistically easier but nobody would ever actually open the door while under water.

Submersibles don’t have that structural luxury, doors just become vulnerabilities to high pressure.

I mean, of course it can’t be opened from the inside when doing so would immediately kill everybody on board. Opening it from the inside serves no useful function. It’d be like having a handbrake on a spaceship.
More the fact that you're sealed into something like a prisoner. Besides, couldn't such a vessel be opened from the inside at a safer depth? They lost comms not long after they began the descent.

I’m no expert but on a sub you can just build a door that’s 6 inches thick and slap a valve on it so you don’t have to bolt/unbolt it every time - makes it logistically easier but nobody would ever actually open the door while under water.

Submersibles don’t have that structural luxury, doors just become vulnerabilities to high pressure.
Having a door that opens from the inside on an aircraft is fine because the pressure inside the aircraft at altitude is much higher than the the outside pressure which seals the door shut. It takes tonnes of force to open an aircraft door at 40,000ft.

Under the sea the pressure is much higher than at sea level, so any door would be designed to open outwards, and without an airlock would be impossible to open deep underwater without causing a catastrophic failure to the structure of the vessel itself and the instant death of everyone inside.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.