Josko Gvardiol

Status
Not open for further replies.
May:We're the best run club in the world. Treble winners, net spend is healthy. Txiki is brilliant.

July: WTF are our Directors doing? All our targets are getting snapped up by our rivals while we're penny pinching.

Just trust the ones who got us here. They know what they're doing.
Nice thoughts but good luck on convincing some on here. Some you never will and others could give a yo-yo lessons.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Leipzig directors approach of putting it all out on media has made Txiki and co. push back and maybe even consider to step away. Certainly the expectation would have been to negotiate a fee since there’s no release clause, but the director stating a €100m fee will be making him the most expensive defender handed to Guardiola, surely causes a fuss when City have given no word to Leipzig on the fee being realistic, and explicitly stating it in the media to pressurise City can only backfire. Get a feeling like past deals they could be ready to walk away from this. Eerily similar to Koulibaly, once ADL started quoting a specific price to the media, despite terms agreed, City just backed out and then looked at Kounde, eventually getting Dias.

p.s. no signs of flapping just yet. Maybe!

Yeah that was strange mate as if we wanted everyone to know we were rolling in it? Stranger then we wimped out against the arse for Rice? And now seemingly are offering around £18m less than what Leipzig want for Josko while making huge profits on younger players?? Just get the Gvardiol deal done then take it from there with the squad.
It’s punitive posturing that sets the tone for the future, it’s a good business policy.

May:We're the best run club in the world. Treble winners, net spend is healthy. Txiki is brilliant.

July: WTF are our Directors doing? All our targets are getting snapped up by our rivals while we're penny pinching.

Just trust the ones who got us here. They know what they're doing.
Why do the two terms have to be mutually exclusive? We had an incredible season and are an exceptionally ran club but that doesn't change the fact that our directors are currently dilly-dallying over signing the best young defender in the world. And I would argue that we are penny-pinching. We are, as per reputable reports, in our strongest ever financial position, and the player is basically on his knees waiting for us to get the deal done.

We use the likes of Koulibaly, Maguire, Pogba, as empirical metrics that our "walk away" policy is infallible, but that's foolish for two reasons:

1.) We were interested in the aforementioned players, and just because they failed at their respective clubs doesn't mean they'd have been fated to fail at City. I personally think Pogba would have been a success here.

2.) It's a policy that will one day backfire. I'll stick my neck on the line and say if we do miss out on Gvardiol, for the sake of an extra £10m, we'll regret it. Who's to say we wouldn't have an extra league or CL title if we'd have bitten the bullet on Van Dijk?

Find it q funny when fans think he should just throw another £10m at a deal seemingly on the basis that they're a bit bored cos there's no footie and need something to be excited about.
My Granddad used to say, It doesn't sound much when you say It quick!

Just give them the million extra they want ffs
I am certain City have limits for every transfer so give them chance to earn their bonuses.

After all we have been self sufficient for several years so it is up to them not Sheikh M how they spend. He simply approves their business plan and they share in any profits I suppose?

Wouldn’t surprise me if Leipzig directors approach of putting it all out on media has made Txiki and co. push back and maybe even consider to step away. Certainly the expectation would have been to negotiate a fee since there’s no release clause, but the director stating a €100m fee will be making him the most expensive defender handed to Guardiola, surely causes a fuss when City have given no word to Leipzig on the fee being realistic, and explicitly stating it in the media to pressurise City can only backfire. Get a feeling like past deals they could be ready to walk away from this. Eerily similar to Koulibaly, once ADL started quoting a specific price to the media, despite terms agreed, City just backed out and then looked at Kounde, eventually getting Dias.

p.s. no signs of flapping just yet. Maybe!
I Personally think this deal gets done... Leipzig saying the price publically wont affect it. Its been common knowledge that the fee has had to be a world record fee for a defender for a while. The player has handed in a transfer request and Leipzig are activly trying to sign his replacement. Think this gets done next week with leipzig being back for pre season so will want their new players through the door asap.

Keep Laporte, give this one a miss and save ourselves €70 odd millions in net transfer fees. Had we received £50-60 bid for Laporte, then that would had been a different story.

Fee we are quoated for Gvardiol €100 Mill
Fee we are quoated for Laporte €30 Mill

The differential is just too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.