Wolves PL (A) | Post Match Discussion

Not sure where the goals are going to come from at present, but I'm sure Pep can fix it
Since Doku arrived that is probably the answer.

He has started very well and in the main has been hugely effective, but yesterday, first half especially our game plan was get the ball to him and let him do his thing, the other side of the pitch never came into play.

Pep will sort it but it will take time with many new players in important positions and losing two players in Gundo and Mahrez who contributes significant goals and assists.

From last season’s best team, we had Stones, Rodri, BSilva, de Bruyne, Grealish and Gündoğan not starting yesterday.

And we looked a very average team!

Last season’s City team who beat Bayern, Arsenal and Madrid at home would have beaten our team yesterday by six.

In the 2018-19 season, if we’d have been without Stones, Fernandinho, BSilva, de Bruyne, Sané and Gündoğan we could still have put out this side:

—————————Ederson—————————
Walker—Otamendi—Kompany—Laporte
——————————Delph——————————
——————DSilva————Foden——————
Mahrez—————-Agüero—————Sterling

I think that team would have comfortably beaten us yesterday n’all.

—————————Ederson—————————
Walker———Akanji———Dias————Aké
—————Kovačić————Nunes—————-
——————Foden——Álvarez——————-
————————-—Håland——————Doku

I didn’t like the formation, we had no shape in attack on the right. All the new lads looked like bang average players. Kovačić and Nunes made our midfield look like a bottom half outfit (which is exactly where they came from last season). And the more senior members of the team shrunk under the responsibility without the six mentioned at the top^ being there.

The lack of defensive work from the midfield and attack was worrying. Only Álvarez did any kind of defending from the front and Nunes Kovačić Foden and Doku all gave up chasing back at various times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except for the Scudamore bit I agree with that. Piss Weak refereeing, Wank should have gone, instead he scores the fucking winner. Of course we should be good enough to beat them 11 against 11 though so it's a poor excuse for losing...

Today we really missed KDB and Rodders (obviously). But the whole team had an off day. I didn't realize Ake was so slow. Maybe play Gvardial against someone like Neto.

Wish we'd bought Neto........... he's very good at ripping teams apart.
Gvardial isn’t quick either. Considering Ake is usually a very good one v one defender and has played great against Saka and Salah in the past he was the obvious choice against their main man. Obviously it worked out terribly on the day but that’s in hindsight

Last edited:
Was always going to be a bit of a slog yesterday. No one in the back six particularly adept at getting good, reliable ball forward through the lines, and a lack of real creativity across the front (Foden should have been able to provide at least some of this but was obviously dreadful).

Don’t particularly like our shape at the moment either, with the one high full-back. Feels like a mirror of 19/20, when we had Mendy playing high and wide on the left all the time, and the rest of the time looked disjointed. Hopefully just a temporary thing until Stones comes back, or Gvardiol is trusted to play the ‘Stones role’ stepping up alongside Rodri.

That midfield was the bare bones. Three players in and around there that have only played our game for a few weeks and it normally takes 6 months to learn it at the earliest.
Those 3 wouldn't have started if Rods, Bernie, John or KDB had been fit.
We've beaten the arse without Rods and without KDB in different games. We just need 2 or 3 back to get that metronome going again. Give the other guys time. Also, I like that it seemed to hurt Kalvin more than most.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.