Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

I think that it would and should have been a penalty under the old handball law, whereby the defender’s arm was in a position where he was seeking to gain an advantage by blocking the shot. It was certainly a penalty under the current interpretation. Harsh, but after the Micah abomination at Anfield in the League Cup years ago, I’m taking them all!!
As they said on the 93.20 podcast , that basketball guard block type handball has been given as a penalty since the inception of football, the usual suspects are muddying the waters purely because it benefited us. I Just tell any rival simpleton fans to take the pen off and we will take the 2-1 win, which enrages them for some reason. They are never happy.

The point I was making is;- you can't have it both ways i.e. moan at the lino for not having the balls then moan because you didn't have them either.

The lino is paid to make these decisions. He is also in the best position to see the offside. Stones is in the middle and has to turn his head both ways. He has to react no matter what he thinks. Because if he is wrong, he would be responsible for not reacting.
Not seeing a flag means he has to make the tackle.
The lino knows VAR will bail him out if wrong.

I remember a certain United player being completely offside last year. The players didn't react properly because he was so obviously offside and interfering with play.
By the time they did react, it was too late.
So players are always going to do their job until the whistle blows.

There are so many conflicting demands made on refs and VAR that their net effect has been to destroy completely what was a very fragile confidence in the integrity of officials. City fans have been convinced for years that we are victims of an agenda and the introduction of technology seems to provide proof. Before VAR Aguero could be hacked down in the area without consequence, Sterling could take the ball full in the back outside the area and concede a penalty or he could be shoved off the ball with the goal at his mercy (against the same team!) and get nothing. But then there are the blatant "incidents" - when KdB was brought down against Arsenal and then in the cup final- which VAR never bothered to review. But the worst of all was the penalty awarded against us in the cup final. How long had play gone on before the VARistos decided to halt the game so that the ref could examine the video before having to agree that the ball would have brushed Jack's fingernails if he hadn't cut them to regulation length. Even those on Sadcafe were embarrassed at the decision! The standard of refereeing, already lamentably low, has been made far worse by the ploy of introducing VAR.

I don’t have a timetable of how the handball law/ interpretations have changed over recent years.

But until relatively recently the law simply said something along the lines of….

…. If in the opinion of the referee, a player, other than a goalkeeper in his penalty area, deliberately plays the ball with his hand or arm, a handball offence has occurred.

No mention of where the arm extends to exactly. No mention of what position the arm was in or where the ball was heading. Deliberate was handball. Accidental was not.

Simpler days.
Yeah, but...

If a player in a wall stood with his hands above his head and the ball hit his hand, was that deliberate or accidental? "Ball to hand, not hand to ball" didn't help.

Well that’s just fucking stupid!!
Who in the name of God would DELIBERATELY handle a football in the area knowing full well what the consequences are??????!!!!!
The argument for a penalty has to be did the handball stop a potential shot on goal or a goal scoring opportunity (which was definitely the case yesterday)
I do seriously worry about people’s iq…..
It’s just simple common sense.
Louis Saurez says Hi.

Yeah, but...

If a player in a wall stood with his hands above his head and the ball hit his hand, was that deliberate or accidental? "Ball to hand, not hand to ball" didn't help.

That ball to hand nonsense was another invention of TV pundits. Basically you’re asking a referee to read a players mind, in deciding whether it was deliberate or not.

I’m going purely off memory here, which isn’t often the most reliable of guides but from what I recall, penalties for handball in the 70s and 80s were a rarity. As very few were given, it was the easy way out for referees to decide it wasn’t deliberate and play on, in most cases bar the odd one where a player deliberately saves the ball on the line.

Then I think we started seeing more of them given in International and European games in cases like you describe, with outstretched arms. It then slowly began creeping in a little bit here.

Simple, any ball hit defenders hand then penalty, and attackers hand then free kick. Simple and will benefit attacking sides

1st foul by one of ours tomorrow = 1st yellow-card whilst allowing Sheff U to kick the fuck out of us? These PIGMOL bastards know the drill by now.

Simple, any ball hit defenders hand then penalty, and attackers hand then free kick. Simple and will benefit attacking sides

Simple doesn’t always equal better. That would be awful. The most reliable penalty takers would be instantly worth about £300M overnight, irrespective of if they were any good at football or not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.