11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Ohhhhh so he wasn't the second coming after all? And it turns out we do need Grealish starting every week in order to play like a top side? And it turns out a couple of goals against Bournemouth and West Ham aren't proof of consistent quality? Well I never.
If I’m being honest Grealish hasn’t been as good as Doku this season. You can mention last season but I can’t use last season because both of them didn’t play in the same team last season.

His problem is the way we play and more so the way teams set up against us.

If he played for the rags he'd be blistering. Counter attacking against teams that leave so much space in behind, he'd have 10 goals this season for them.

He's got age on his his side at least.

He did put one ball on a plate for Foden who didn’t take it and played some nice passes. I was more disappointed with others today. He was in our top 3/4 players today I thought
He did at least keep running at his man and kept going, and got some good balls into the box.

For some reason Foden didn’t fancy running at Chilwell at all tonight.

People saying Foden was played out of position have to realize that he has played wide more than central all the years he’s been here. It’s wrong to assume that he’s not a winger. Today Foden was gash as was Haaland. In fact most of the players were poor. Doku was frustrating at times too but in the second half especially, he was one of the bright lights.

People mentioning Grealish don’t even realize that he hasn’t been able to put together consistent displays twi games in a row this season.

Posted this back in September when people were blinded by take-ons. He isn’t ready to play meaningful minutes for us but because Grealish has had a season to forget, for numerous reasons, Doku is having to play way more often than he should be. And that’s a problem for us as he isn’t at the level required on or off the ball. He could be in time, he’s 21, but right now he’s miles off.

I feel sorry for him because he’s clearly trying hard but he looks like everything is weighing down on him right now and his teammates are visibly frustrated with him over and over during the matches. He needed to play less and be eased in but it couldn’t pan out that way in the end.
He’s trying. Put a couple of very good balls in the box that came to nowt. By the way how many clear chances did Lord KDB create this match. Seems people are expecting a goal to happen from a chance he created or that he should create 10 clear opportunities before he is given a pass.
He did at least keep running at his man and kept going, and got some good balls into the box.

For some reason Foden didn’t fancy running at Chilwell at all tonight.
If Foden cared to try as much as Doku did today then maybe we would have been luckier but the excuse is Foden is not a winger. We all know that he’s played wide more often than not in a City shirt so nobody’s gonna sell that crap to me.

Wher

Same place the fantasy that Grealish was' key' to us winning the treble comes from. Neither are of the standard we should have been acquiring to consolidate our dominance.
Did I fantasise it then?
Gave us control that we hadn't had before, plus the cleverly won free kicks. Certainly contributed to a more complete team and an incredible trophy haul. You downplay it if you want, but I know what I witnessed. Won't be doing it with Doku in the side - but we'll have fun not doing it I suppose.

And while I’m here defending a 21 year old who was our biggest threat today.

Did you people who are bashing his performance not see what Chelsea was doing every time.

Did you wonder why Palmer was always 3-5 yards away from Gutso on the edge of his own box? They doubled up on Doku every time. Palmer played like a fullback especially in the second half. So that took away Chelsea main attacking threat.

They know the threat of Doku. Any team who leaves a fullback 1 v 1 with him will get exposed. Do you think this is being done because he’s crap?
Every team doubles up on him. That sort of player cannot be crap. The onus is on the ones who are less marked to stamp their authority. Haaland was as ineffective as a mouse, Foden was sleeping, even KDB didn’t have his best game. Yes I was quite underwhelmed by Doku but guy didn’t hide. He kept trying things but if you don’t have a finisher, Doku can try all game and it will all come to nowt.

Grealish was just fine without Doku last season when he was key to us winning the treble. Where does this fantasy that Grealish needs Doku come from?
He was key? Without Haaland’s record goal scoring and KDB’s magic we’d be no where there. If we had this season’s version of Haaland last year, there would probably be no treble to attach him to.

Posted this back in September when people were blinded by take-ons. He isn’t ready to play meaningful minutes for us but because Grealish has had a season to forget, for numerous reasons, Doku is having to play way more often than he should be. And that’s a problem for us as he isn’t at the level required on or off the ball. He could be in time, he’s 21, but right now he’s miles off.

I feel sorry for him because he’s clearly trying hard but he looks like everything is weighing down on him right now and his teammates are visibly frustrated with him over and over during the matches. He needed to play less and be eased in but it couldn’t pan out that way in the end.

You were wrong then and you are wrong now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.