11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Honestly?
As good as Vini?
As I said before, Vini has the benefit of not having to defend much, he is allowed to lose the ball as much as he wants, and he is a walking red card risk everytime he steps on the pitch. So its not all sunshine and rainbows with him. Until two years ago he was a massive liability because he couldn't shoot to save his life. But he improved his shooting technique and even more importantly hes always trying to get in a position to score poacher goals. When Doku learns off ball movement and shooting he will be better than Vinicius because he is already a better passer and crosser, and his dribbling/touch is as good as Vini.

The lad is in his first season settling into a new club and team mates, new country new formations and what’s expected of him so it was always gonna hit and miss in his first year. Next season this lad will be like a new signing let’s give him time and then judge him.
The Tom Brown's School Days excuse.
Give him all the time you want - costly but OK let's see.

First season with us, he's done remarkably well but now isn't the time to persist starting him if he's going to make the same mistakes in possession. It does infuriate me how he's always put on the left so he can cut inside. I just don't understand why he isn't put on the right given how much pace he has.

Everytime he gets the ball on the left there's 2 men waiting for him so all he can do is roll it back. At least if he trys to go on the outside on the right he's on his stronger foot if he gets a cross in. Literally never seen him do that for us despite every pre city clip I've seen of him involves him attacking down the right.

I'd honestly rather see Bobb start at the moment. Seems to have a better pass on him and a bit more football intelligence.

If he was homegrown the fans would have more patience and encouragement.Fact
I’d have all the patience in the world if he put a shift in and chased back when we lose the ball.

Two times on Sunday he was jogging as Liverpool were breaking down our left.

Don’t care whether you’re home grown or signed from Real Madrid, that’s not acceptable.

If he was homegrown the fans would have more patience and encouragement.Fact

I agree, but the difference is we paid £55m for him, so we should expect a bit more than what we have got thus far.

I do actually think he will be a very good player, but I also think the club scouted him a year or two too soon. He needed another season or two at Rennes. The jump has been too big in my opinion.

When we signed Sane - a player of similar age and player profile to Doku - he was already tearing up the Champions League against Real Madrid and broke into the German national side that had won the World Cup 12/18 months prior. You could see he was ready to take the jump if need be.

I didn’t say that I said he didn’t look as confident as he has done, he did ok when he came on, bit he doesn’t have that swagger he seemed to have when he first arrived, the lad has already apologized on social media about his performances so he’s well aware of the criticism , I know where I sit that when he first came and got the ball, everyone was on their feet in anticipation now most just think he will lose it.
Yeah, i agree with that about his swagger and i suppose confidence.

As I said before, Vini has the benefit of not having to defend much, he is allowed to lose the ball as much as he wants, and he is a walking red card risk everytime he steps on the pitch. So its not all sunshine and rainbows with him. Until two years ago he was a massive liability because he couldn't shoot to save his life. But he improved his shooting technique and even more importantly hes always trying to get in a position to score poacher goals. When Doku learns off ball movement and shooting he will be better than Vinicius because he is already a better passer and crosser, and his dribbling/touch is as good as Vini.
Vinicius is fast as fuck as well, he’s levels below him.

For me the biggest issue is his complete and utter lack of end product. He doesn't find his man with his crosses and despite coming close on Sunday his shooting is terrible.

When you contrast to Sterling/Sane at the same age the difference is night and day. Both of those were inconsistent but they had some semblance of final ball or ability to finish. Doku can beat his man but it's pointless because the cross/selection of pass afterwards is rubbish. Add to that the half arsed tracking back afterwards and he's just not it for me.

Seems to have lost the spark that makes him special when one on one. Since his injury return he seems to want to go backwards more often rather than trying to isolate and take on the fullback. Reminds me much of Jack’s first season with us where he admitted to struggling with fear of losing the ball

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.