11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

my issue with him is at a stage normally where I would say like 2-3 years at a weaker top league club could benefit him than move to a top club but he actually had that period at Rennes and still is very raw. when to hold onto the ball, when to try his tricks, his whole off the ball game, stamina issues, bit strange given he spent 2.5 years in Ligue 1 already. would he be 2 years younger and got him straight from Anderlecht I would understand more his weaknesses.

City is a big and demanding jump for him.

anyway he has a lot to improve and I am sure he learnt a lot already since August, but long way to go if he wants to be a regular starter in this City team. for now I would send him on last 25 mins as fresh winger vs a tired defence. will watch him in Euros how he plays under different manager/system.

I said pretty much the same a couple of months back.

I think he should have gone to a West Ham next before we properly looked at him, but his scouting reports must have been so overwhelmingly positive and pointed to him going on a significant upwards trajectory that we had to move.

It's the only reason as to why we would have signed a prospect from Rennes in France to replace Mahrez and his unbelievable 25-30 goals and assists a season.

I still hold that we should have gone for someone with CL experience and ready to go to replace Mahrez and prospects should primarily be from the academy i.e. Bobb and Palmer.

I think we have to trust the club on this one.

I said pretty much the same a couple of months back.

I think he should have gone to a West Ham next before we properly looked at him, but his scouting reports must have been so overwhelmingly positive and pointed to him going on a significant upwards trajectory that we had to move.

It's the only reason as to why we would have signed a prospect from Rennes in France to replace Mahrez and his unbelievable 25-30 goals and assists a season.

I still hold that we should have gone for someone with CL experience and ready to go to replace Mahrez and prospects should primarily be from the academy i.e. Bobb and Palmer.

I think we have to trust the club on this one.
Palmer wanted to leave. We are so close to retaining the title. I think our business has been great this season, could be better but Txiki got it right

Palmer wanted to leave. We are so close to retaining the title. I think our business has been great this season, could be better but Txiki got it right

just used him as an example as to why we should use academy players as prospects and projects rather than signings.

I beg to differ on the transfer business.

Nunes will never be a City player, a panic buy.

Doku still has the jury out.

Only Gvardiol and Kova were good additions.

Also Txiki got it badly wrong with Gundogan. He wanted a new contract. He admitted to it last September, but we left it too late.

We didn't really improve in the first 15-20 minutes of the 2nd half. The introduction of Kovacic didn't change things instantly. Actually, we managed to get worse and invited waves of attacks with misplaced passes all over the pitch. Only after Forest got a bit tired could we hit our normal levels of pass completion. This was possibly our worst performance after Villa away. Great that we managed to survive.
Right, Pep said we were only back in control when Bernie came inside for the "extra pass". Walker took the right wing, Akanji RB, as Forest's legs got weaker.

I'm not sure how much he can improve his weaknesses to the level we need. He lacks stamina and running power to ever be useful defensively even leaving aside his lack of appetite for it. Always referred to as pacy but he's really not. Great acceleration but his actual sprint is more of a fast waddle and he starts flagging after 3 or 4 strides, Aina showed him what pace really looks like. He could probably get more reliable on the ball but he'll never be a Grealish or Bernardo type who make a good decision and keep the ball 9 times out of ten.

With all that he needs to be producing in the final third but only looked the ticket against a hapless Bornemouth and Villa's reserves at home. Could say his season is promising if he was 18 and not almost 22 just a few months younger than Saka. Just seems a fish out of water in this side similar to F Torres and Mendy after his two year injury layoff.

just used him as an example as to why we should use academy players as prospects and projects rather than signings.

I beg to differ on the transfer business.

Nunes will never be a City player, a panic buy.

Doku still has the jury out.

Only Gvardiol and Kova were good additions.

Also Txiki got it badly wrong with Gundogan. He wanted a new contract. He admitted to it last September, but we left it too late.
I would argue that Doku has proven himself useful more than Kova.

I'm not sure how much he can improve his weaknesses to the level we need. He lacks stamina and running power to ever be useful defensively even leaving aside his lack of appetite for it. Always referred to as pacy but he's really not. Great acceleration but his actual sprint is more of a fast waddle and he starts flagging after 3 or 4 strides, Aina showed him what pace really looks like. He could probably get more reliable on the ball but he'll never be a Grealish or Bernardo type who make a good decision and keep the ball 9 times out of ten.

With all that he needs to be producing in the final third but only looked the ticket against a hapless Bornemouth and Villa's reserves at home. Could say his season is promising if he was 18 and not almost 22 just a few months younger than Saka. Just seems a fish out of water in this side similar to F Torres and Mendy after his two year injury layoff.
Haha every time Doku doesn't have a worldclass game there is this post here. The only thing that is correct here is about the stamina and lack of appetite for defense. The rest is bull, he has been generally a great signing. It was not a great game for anyone yesterday.

The very definition of an impact player for me. He has real talent with the ball at his feet and has played very well in spells this season, albeit with little to no end product.

I wonder if he has the football brain to play in this side to be honest. He can't track back and I question his positional ability too. He gives away cheap fouls and is a bit reckless out of possession if indeed he does work back.

I think there's a player in there, but maybe another one that isn't quite suited to our system. He'll definitely be here next season so time will tell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.