Peter Barnes

MrE said:
Barnes and Owen were both crap in 78/79 - especially Barnes.
Maybe had something to do with the awful winter.
I think we really needed to replace Dennis Tueart with someone similar rather than completely rebuild at the time.
Allison wanted to play without wingers - hence Barnes was sold; makes sense in that context but obviously whatever Mal was trying to do didn't quite work out, albeit he only had a season and a little bit to try it.
Who knows - maybe if we hadn't appointed Bond the players Allison had bought would have gelled and we would not have gone bust and got relegated from all the extra spending Bond did which left us completely skint and with no squad in the year we went down.

Lest We Forget --- Bobby Shinton

I'll call your Bobby Shinton and raise you Stuart Lee.

hallstreetblue said:
Academica said:
hallstreetblue said:
I'm guessing your young and only know this era, so couldn't care less for our past. For those of us that do care, we have fond memories of such players, who are a big part of our history. So after watching clips of on our past, I was reminded of what an absolute star this lad was and think we'd have had a few more trophies to our name, had things been done differently. That's all.

Don't know if I should call myself a **** or not can't remember if I booed to long ago to remember. Of course our [size=150[color=#4000FF]]history ( if we had any)[/color][/size] is important, just more concerned with beating WBA and catching the Arse at the moment, as for being young I wish.

Well at that point, we had 2 titles, 2 League Cups, 4 F.A. Cups, a European Cup Winners Cup and 3 Charity Shields. Of course we had history.

I think you are using the rag term for history there.

Academica said:
hallstreetblue said:
Academica said:
Don't know if I should call myself a **** or not can't remember if I booed to long ago to remember. Of course our [size=150[color=#4000FF]]history ( if we had any)[/color][/size] is important, just more concerned with beating WBA and catching the Arse at the moment, as for being young I wish.

Well at that point, we had 2 titles, 2 League Cups, 4 F.A. Cups, a European Cup Winners Cup and 3 Charity Shields. Of course we had history.

Don't follow you!

Blue2112 said:
I was right behind the goal when he dummied Pat Jennings and dinked it over him in another City romp over Tottenham 5-0. One of the all time great Maine Road goals from that era in my opinion.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPRA-GzQU4[/youtube]

What a team that was,21 games without defeat IIRC. Home and away.Oh the memories.

Tuearts right boot said:
Blue2112 said:
I was right behind the goal when he dummied Pat Jennings and dinked it over him in another City romp over Tottenham 5-0. One of the all time great Maine Road goals from that era in my opinion.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPRA-GzQU4[/youtube]

What a team that was,21 games without defeat IIRC. Home and away.Oh the memories.

One point behind a Liverpool side that a few weeks later. went on to conquer Europe.

MrE wrote:
Barnes and Owen were both crap in 78/79 - especially Barnes.
Maybe had something to do with the awful winter.
I think we really needed to replace Dennis Tueart with someone similar rather than completely rebuild at the time.
Allison wanted to play without wingers - hence Barnes was sold; makes sense in that context but obviously whatever Mal was trying to do didn't quite work out, albeit he only had a season and a little bit to try it.
Who knows - maybe if we hadn't appointed Bond the players Allison had bought would have gelled and we would not have gone bust and got relegated from all the extra spending Bond did which left us completely skint and with no squad in the year we went down.

Lest We Forget --- Bobby Shinton

OK upping the odds ... Paul Sugrue

hallstreetblue said:
Academica said:
hallstreetblue said:

Don't follow you!

You just listed trophys won, history is St Mark's, Main Road, record gates, Helen with her bell, past manager's, great player's, shit players,relagation, promotion, supporters no longer with us, friends who I used to go with no longer with us, the laughs, the tears the happiness after winning the depression after a loss,, the football special for away games the walk back to town after home games the feeling of being part of a family, never winning at home never winning away and all the time just being glad your blue, that's history.

Academica said:
hallstreetblue said:
Academica said:

Don't follow you!

You just listed trophys won, history is St Mark's, Main Road, record gates, Helen with her bell, past manager's, great player's, shit players,relagation, promotion, supporters no longer with us, friends who I used to go with no longer with us, the laughs, the tears the happiness after winning the depression after a loss,, the football special for away games the walk back to town after home games the feeling of being part of a family, never winning at home never winning away and all the time just being glad your blue, that's history.

Wow! And you were questioning whether we had any. Respect!

hallstreetblue said:
No he's not brown bread. Just thought this lad deserves a mention. Say what you want about Peter Swales, but I blame him for Barnesy's demise. If he'd have left Tony Book in full charge of the first team and not brought back Big Mal, who got rid of Peter Barnes and spent an absolute fortune, we'd have gone on to great things. Swales then brought in another Allison style character, in the shape of John Bond, who then went on to bleed the club dry. I know, I've heard it all before about Swales, "he only wanted the best for the club" and "he was Blue through and through". Well I'm sorry, but he fooked our club, by demoting Tony Book and I believe fooked up our history. We as City fans, were robbed of glory back then and Swales was to blame. Those of you that booed and totally demoralised Barnes on his return to Maine Road, should look in the mirror and call yourself a cnut! One of the greatest players ever to wear the colours of our club and although he once wore the colours of yoonited, is Blue through and through, forever and ever.

What a great sight to see Barnes running at a defender. A big favourite of mine when I was a lad and I was gutted when he and Gary Owen were kicked out of our club. Both Barnes and Owen should have been at City for most of their careers, instead they left in tears.

One of my first vivid football memories, although I don't think it was my first game, was being sat in the platt lane and Barnes killed a long and very high cross field ball with his instep, right on the touch line, level with the penalty area at that side of the ground. It was a superb piece of skill. For those of us of a certain age he was one of our first heroes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.