Peter Barnes

MrE said:
Blue2112 said:
CITYBOY1000 said:
Barry Silkman...............................................................

Barney Daniels...

Gary Buckley ...... Just how bad was Big Mals judgement at this stage of his career (I know about the sixties) , this is turning into a list of worst players to wear blue. (Barney Daniels however was not a Big Mal signing) lol

Ahh Sorry I didn't see the bit about it was Big Mal's signings. I'll raise you a George McBeth from Allison's first time round. I can still clearly picture as a young kid walking over to Big Mal as he sat in his car to get his autograph and he said something along the lines of 'here kid get this lad's autograph he's going to be the next big thing' and it was George Mcbeth. I have both the signatures still on the same page in my City autograph book.

hallstreetblue said:
OB1 said:
Tuearts right boot said:
What a team that was,21 games without defeat IIRC. Home and away.Oh the memories.

I remember that game well. It was indeed some team; should have won a league title.

There were 4 Manchester lads in that team and I think 7 or 8 in all, in the squad that season.
Woah; easy there tiger! You'll have David Conn writing another fucking article in the Grauniad if you're not careful.

Still not dead.

...but I did randomly come across a snippet on his wikipedia entry, after reading a slghtly related article on the OS about Tommy Hutchison https://www.mancity.com/news/club-news/club-news/2019/city-dna/city-dna-25-tommy-hutchison.

'Since August 2010, he has been based in Kuala Lumpur, working as a Premier League pundit for Malaysian network Astro, and its thrice-weekly FourFourTwo TV programme. On the night that his former club Manchester City clinched the 2011–12 Premier League title, the normally reserved Barnes sang a rendition of "Blue Moon" during the post-game show in Astro's studios. He has continued his father's legacy, running soccer schools for impoverished local children.'

Met him at a shoe shop opening (yes!) in Cheadle Hulme's 'top shops', got his autograph. Poor lad.

Still remember his England debut v Italy in late 1977. He showed a lot of skill and had a good game in a 2-0 win but in one memorable passage of play he danced past a couple of Italian defenders to be then stopped dead with a crunching foul by Claudio Gentile - as tough a defender as there was - and while Barnesy lay on the turf in agony and the free kick was given, Bennetti ran up and smashed the ball into him from point blank range ! Think he went and hid for a few minutes after that. Great player though.

He's still alive and well. Was walking the dog after the Villa game and went past a house with a guy wearing a City shirt in the driveway. Let on to him about the match and he said come and meet my uncle Peter Barnes. Had a 10 minute chat about the team he played in (which I watched as a teenager) and about today's team. He said he would have loved to play alongside David Silva. Top bloke.

Lives round the corner from me. Too young to have seen him play for us, but seems a like a nice bloke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.