Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a lot of talk about how the Otamendi signing might effect Mangala but not many have mentioned Kompany.
Both Kompany and Mangala have been fantastic in the first 2 games this season, but both were inconsistent last season.
I believe there is some traction to the argument that Kompany was probably our worst defender last season ahead of Mangala or perhaps even Kolarov.

Am I the only one thinking that the Otamendi signing will have Kompany looking over his shoulder just as much as Mangala?
Otamendi and Mangala are both younger, have been an effective defensive pairing in the past and arguably form a more suitable pairing stylistically. Kompany has been a fantastic servant of the club and both he and Mangala have been great in the first 2 games, but if inconsistency does strike either of them, I hope that decisions will be made on the basis of performance and merit and with an eye toward the future. From that perspective Kompany would have just as much to worry about as Mangala.

I hope having 3 top centre-backs motivates ALL of them to perform at their best, but that is not always the case in a 3-way contest for 2 spots.

Last edited:
Decided to watch Valencia's pre season tournament in Germany that included Porto, Stoke an Klohn. Otamendi was still training and playing up until this point which was around the 1st week of August. He was still training up until recently, I'm guessing when he got word there was some movement happening. Don't think he is too far off from match fitness.

Couple things I noticed in the game against Porto:

Rash challenges seem to be a thing at Valencia so I don't think it's just Otamendi. I don't remember him doing that much during Copa.

He has excellent timing, which also helps his aerial duels. You can see in the YouTube clips/vines etc that he really knows where the ball is and isn't afraid to put his body on the line to get the block. Lot of times you see players turn away scared.

He's also pretty vocal which is always a good trait to have to keep the back line in order. Familiarity with the rest of the Argentine contingent should help him showcase that early.

Absolutely spot on and there are a lot of teams that would be willing to comply with the terms
I agree, and again I sincerely hope we put language into whatever loan deal we put in place that he must be selected for x% of games when healthy or we can recall the loan.

I wonder if this signing could indicate a change in formation, 3 5 2 or 3 4 3. Or would that be step too far considering the start to the sea son. Anyway will be a good signing
and the competition at CB that is much needed.

I wonder if this signing could indicate a change in formation, 3 5 2 or 3 4 3. Or would that be step too far considering the start to the sea son. Anyway will be a good signing
and the competition at CB that is much needed.
Why should it? We only have 3 CBs Kompany Mangala and Otimendi to occupy 2 spots and 60 + games most teams have 4 CBs for 2 spots. (im aware of Demi and the kid)

I really like the 3-4-3 in theory, I don't know if we have the right midfield players for it though.
It would also mean pushing Silva out wide again, which I don't think is ideal.

-----------Otamendi----Kompany----Mangala-----------
-----?-----------Toure------Fernandinho------Kolarov--
-----------Silva------------Aguero----------Sterling-------

Could either put Navas or Zabaleta in the '?' role I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.