United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the turtle, the bog brush is the answer to the striking problems. I can smell the tears before bed time with that decision.

But that was their only successful tactic last season.

Lump it up to A&E for him either to try to score with a header himself of nod it on for someone else to get on the end of.

Unfortunately, it was rather successful, including during the swamp derby.

£250 Million spent and they are using Bog Brush as a striker hahaha

To be fair, they should start to give us and Chelsea a lot more credit for 'buying the league' as they have shown than you can spend vast amounts of money and still be shit.

Lump it up to A&E for him either to try to score with a header himself of nod it on for someone else to get on the end of.

Aaahh the old lump it high and long tactic,what a master tactician lvg is ...

oh I do hope so
Presser today on fellatio
"He can play as a no.6 or no.8 but this year he'll be more a no.9 or no.10 as we have players in the other positions."

after the newcastle game he said he does not need to strengthen his forward line
Asked whether he needed to sign more forwards, Van Gaal said: "No, because we were three times the best team."

It was successful for a short time, until everyone figured it out.

We can't say that those days are gone for good because none of us know what the future holds. However, I do think there is an arrogance that courses through that club that makes them think that whatever happens they will always be in a position to challenge at the top end of the table. That arrogance has stemmed from the huge amount of success they enjoyed under Ferguson and they thought that it would simply carry on once he left. They thought that whoever they stuck in charge would be successful yet soon found out that Moyes was nowhere near accomplished enough. Never mind, LVG will sort it out instead - trouble is, while there has been some improvement they're still looking a fair way off being title challengers. You'd have thought they would have learnt their lesson from the failed Moyes reign that nothing is guaranteed in football. The whole infrastructure of the club needs to change - much of what is in place worked under Ferguson but once he went it was a structure that was soon exposed as being totally outdated. Maybe the Tactical Turtle is addressing this, who knows? However, with the likes of the Family Man having such a prominent role on the coaching staff I wouldn't be surprised if they think that carrying on as they are will eventually see the successful times return. I suppose if they throw as much money at it as they have been doing then that in itself may bring some success but it isn't exactly great planning.
I have to disagree with your first sentence, mate, at least as much as I am able.

Their period of total dominance will never return. Not for them, and nor will any other club dominate the way they did.

Their rise to domination contained a number of factors which conspired and conflated to give them a considerable competive edge. There was a freakishly good group of young players; a manager with a vice like grip on the club, and, it should be said, a sizable supporter base in all the post-war years to build upon, but most of all they were the dominant team at the point that English football exploded both commercially and in terms of global exposure. This gave them a competitive edge over the rest of the domestic competition that was so great, so manifest that the others simply could not land a punch. Only Arsenal, when Wenger's purchasing credentials were at an absolute premium, could even get close, albeit fitfully.

It was only when Abramovich, and more latterly Mansour entered the fray, ironically in no small part due to united's success commercially and otherwise, did the playing field level itself out.

It would take something unprecedented and unforseeable, significantly more so than the circumstances that precipitated united's rise, for them to dominate the English game again in the manner they did, for as long as they did.

There may be greater inequality in the domestic game that a decade ago, but at least it's now genuinely competitive at the top. Teams will have a halcyon spell for a few years with a particular group of players, but the days of one club dismantling and rebuilding whilst maintaining utter supremacy won't recurr. It will ebb and flow a lot more imo, which is a good thing for English football. There simply isn't enough of a differential between the respective buying power of the top four to five clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.