What book are you reading now / or recommend?

The Forever War - A sci-fi book about an interstellar war between earth and some alien dudes. A riveting read and not my usual fare. Because of time dilation a tour of duty in space that lasts months can be decades on earth and it's a fascinating to read about the changes in society over the centuries. Society changes so much that the way of life they are fighting for disappeared centuries ago. It was written in 1974 and I can't believe I've never heard of it before now. A movie based on the book has been in the pipeline for years but never materialised, apparently there is a bidding war going on over the rights and Channing Tatum is tipped to star.
A fantastic book, one or my all time favourites. Hope you enjoy it also. I;d also recommend John Scalzi's Old Man's War with similar themes, if you have not already read it.

Just started Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, had most of the books on my shelf since I was a teenager so thought I'd give it a go and see what all the fuss is about. Only 150 pages in so far.

A fantastic book, one or my all time favourites. Hope you enjoy it also. I;d also recommend John Scalzi's Old Man's War with similar themes, if you have not already read it.

Just started Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, had most of the books on my shelf since I was a teenager so thought I'd give it a go and see what all the fuss is about. Only 150 pages in so far.

I think I managed halfway through the second or third one before I realised I had better things to do with my life. Jordan is not one for using one or two words when 500 will do. Going for a piss? two chapters and third chapter involving a side quest to the sink. Waking up? three chapters at least. Aside from Tad Williams I can't think of a more boring author.

The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan

Its the 2014 Man Booker prize winner, though I confess I cant see what all the fuss is about. Seems a little disjointed to me.

I've recently finished The Truth about The Harry Quebert Affair and enjoyed that. If you liked Gone Girl, give it a go!

Just finished it and I was suitably impressed. I've had a quick look at the reviews for Old Man's War and that might be next on the list.

Just finished "You" by Caroline Kepnes which was good read. It is sort of in the Gone Girl/2 sides of a relationship and makes you realise what someone could get up to by messing around with other peoples social media.
Now got into the first few pages of Peter James latest Roy Grace novel "Want You Dead".

Got about 40 pages left of ''You can drum but you can't hide'' by Simon Wolstencroft.

''Funky Si'' turned down the offer of being the drummer with The Smiths, went to school with Ian Brown and John Squire and was in the pre Roses ''The Patrol'' and an early edition of The Roses. He was also in the Colourfield for their debut gigs and finally ended up in The Fall for 10 years. Very funny / disturbing insight into the mind of Mark E Smith!

Just finished The Lie by CL Taylor - and it was a struggle tbh, as my enthusiasm petered out as the book went on. No shortage of good reviews though, but lightweight and superficial for me.
One to avoid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.