Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
He sees the players as chess pieces. He doesn't think one has different attributes to others. He just rates them as pawns out of 10 and picks his favourite 11.

Makes no allowances for DeMichelis being shot, no allowances for Fernando being embarrassing, no allowances for Bony being shite. If Kompany, Yaya and Aguero were fit he would just swap all 3 like for like and make absolutely no adjustment to the shape or game plan.

I've been saying the same thing about him since he'd been here 3 months and have seen absolutely nothing in the last 3 years to make me think differently.

We've got 3 more points at the same stage as Hughes had in 2009. He was sacked the week after. But I have to say, sacking Pellegrini now would be pointless. We're 3 points off top, last 16 in the CL, semi's of the League Cup, it's not all doom and gloom.

Yes he's tactically inept, yes he can't motivate the players, yes his substitutions are bordering on ludicrous, but in spite of all that we're not doing too bad. The players are so good that they drag us through. We've got the best squad in the league by a million miles so we should still win the league.

They used to say Slurgie was worth 12 points a season to them lot, I'd say Pellegrini is probably worth about minus 10 for us, so we should still have enough to win the league by the odd point. With these players, Guardiola would win this league by 12 points, and we're just going to have to ride it out until next season to get the best manager in the world. It will be worth the wait.
All of this.

He's fucking lazy. He's a clueless lazy **** that refuses to take the time and effort to change tactics dependent on players available and opposition.

That Tadic incident was symptomatic of a defensive malaise that's grown and grown over the course of the last 18 months. When we steamed our way to the title in 2014 most teams had never seen such attacking football and were shit scared of us as a consequence. Defensively then we weren't overly tested. But as always happens in football, once you've been schooled you go away and do your homework, and the number of sides we face now who have watched videos of our defeats and set themselves up to exploit our defensive weakness on the counterattack accordingly - either via a high press or bus parking - is nobody's business.

There is mitigation in that we have the worst injury list in the division (and one which includes our best players with monotonous regularity), and there is also mitigation in the quality of the opposition we are now facing compared to 2 years ago. It really is the most competitive league in the world; everyone has money to burn and there are players at most other clubs now that I would happily see in the current City squad. Mane and Pelle, Payet and Moses, Stones and Barkley, Arnautovic and Shaqiri, even Bournemouth's Matt Ritchie was a constant fucking menace against us. That's where the excuses end though.

We went through the manager's tactical shortcomings ad nauseum after the Liverpool debacle (particularly the Ya Ya in a midfield two obsession), and I cited variously “West Ham away last season, where we went with Ya Ya and Fernando as an immobile duo in the middle, Silva a fish out of water down the left, and Navas hugging the right touchline, and it led to open season on Mangala, Bayern away in the Allianz where Ya Ya allowed Boateng to carry the ball from his own half to the edge of our area completely unmolested time and time again, the absolute debacle at home to CSKA with Ya Ya in a midfield two, a game that he ended up getting sent off in, Liverpool away where we were run ragged, Barca at home where in the absence of Ya Ya he went with Milner and Fernando as a two and we got made to look like rank amateurs, the fiasco at the Swamp where Ya Ya, again in a midfield two, made Hair Bear look like Usain Bolt in a performance of almost criminal negligence, Monchengladbach where we were so overrun that Ya Ya had to be hoicked at half time, and then the same thing again last Saturday against the dippers”, as examples of piss poor judgment on the manager’s behalf. Defensively though they were not exclusive. I could have added the shambles at home to Seville, where the opposition went 2 on 2 against Zabaleta and Navas, a pairing who speak the same language and who have played together dozens of times, yet were undone by simple give and go's time after time after time, both of them going after the man with the ball like 10 year olds or alternatively both trying to block the runner leaving the man with the ball free to race forward. And then there was today. A 35 year old defending (calamitously) on the half way line, whilst Pellegrini opted to play 3 lightweight attacking midfielders behind a lummox of a centre forward, a quartet that provided no more than about a third of the intense pressing needed to prevent the opposition breaking free to run at poor old Martin Dimichelis.....and I won't even start on the Fernandinho substitution (again).

It's hard to comprehend what's going on out there at times at the moment, and if you ask me right now if we'll finish top 4, it's a 'no'. When we started winning trophies I remember Taggart commenting on the sheer physicality of the City team (something that had been a feature of all his united sides - I think there was one year we played them they had something like 7 players who were 6ft 2' or bigger - De Gea 6ft 4', Camelgob 6ft 3', Vidic 6ft 2', Smalling 6ft 5', Valencia 6ft 2', Fletcher 6ft 2', Van Persie 6ft 2'), when we had Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov, Toure, Gaz Baz, Balotelli and Dzeko available, and additionally supported by stocky little balls of muscle in the shape of Zabaleta, Tevez, De Jong and Milner, and whilst size isn't the be all end all, I look at the City squad today and, defensively in particular, it seems very fragile both physically and mentally. Sterling lightweight, Navas lightweight, KDB lightweight, Silva lightweight, Nasri lightweight. Great to watch when vastly inferior opposition's standing back and letting you play, but easily cowed and beaten when the opposition's up for it.

For me Pellegrini is a busted flush. Tactics, team selections, substitutions, even purchases (in terms of the balance of the squad as a whole), have been questionable for a long time now, to the point that he is almost getting the worst out of the players at his disposal rather than the best. As to getting rid of him, sadly I don't see how we can. If we have bet our entire holding on Pep, then no-one is going to want to come to City as a 6 month stop gap, not unless you want a fucking idiot like Redknapp or Warnock in charge. All we can do is pray that the injuries abate and Kun and Kompers somehow sustain an acceptable level of fitness between now and May to drag us over the line.

Good assessment at where we are at.

We all know more of these games where we are belted off the park are coming unless MP goes and the new manager is given licence to tighten our lack of connection between midfield and the back four.

The points about being lightweight throughout the squad is a good point.

We need taller stronger fitter players who can cover box to box better than what we have now.

A bit of fight in each and every player wouldn't go astray either.

How often today we has the ball out wide with nowhere to go and nobody to cross to in any case was nothing short of a lack of commitment.

That was as painful a 90 minutes to watch since before 2008 when we were in scraps to stay up.

Those who said never again after Liverpool were deluding themselves.

Even our OS has got into the act.

Watch this space worse to come for sure and certain.

He seemingly can't inspire,motivate or instil respect or even fear amongst the squad.He has no tactics except pick eleven players,attack and hope for the best. He plays the same way over and over so we become easy to work out and beat.Save the season and get rid,there has to be someone out there with some fire and spunk and a bit of tactical awareness who will come in short term.

more points in the opening 5 games than in the last 10 games! please manuel, settle everything down, too much drama for my liking

He sees the players as chess pieces. He doesn't think one has different attributes to others. He just rates them as pawns out of 10 and picks his favourite 11.

Makes no allowances for DeMichelis being shot, no allowances for Fernando being embarrassing, no allowances for Bony being shite. If Kompany, Yaya and Aguero were fit he would just swap all 3 like for like and make absolutely no adjustment to the shape or game plan.

I've been saying the same thing about him since he'd been here 3 months and have seen absolutely nothing in the last 3 years to make me think differently.

We've got 3 more points at the same stage as Hughes had in 2009. He was sacked the week after. But I have to say, sacking Pellegrini now would be pointless. We're 3 points off top, last 16 in the CL, semi's of the League Cup, it's not all doom and gloom.

Yes he's tactically inept, yes he can't motivate the players, yes his substitutions are bordering on ludicrous, but in spite of all that we're not doing too bad. The players are so good that they drag us through. We've got the best squad in the league by a million miles so we should still win the league.

They used to say Slurgie was worth 12 points a season to them lot, I'd say Pellegrini is probably worth about minus 10 for us, so we should still have enough to win the league by the odd point. With these players, Guardiola would win this league by 12 points, and we're just going to have to ride it out until next season to get the best manager in the world. It will be worth the wait.

completely agree

I've also been saying the same thing since he started about how his tactics leave us horribly exposed and how his lack of any tactical flexibility (unless absolutely pushed by circumstance) leaves us so predictable.

very very average manager and most managers could have won something with the squad he has at his disposal

regardless of what happens between now and May he needs to go at the end of the season and quickly so we can work on our plans for the following season with a the new manager in place/in mind

Its good enough if the better players stay fit for long enough to challenge for the title.

Its also very possible that this season we might miss out on a top four finish.

Having MP in charge makes us perform on average no matter who is available worse than we should.

Has to go,

Sorry, you have lost me. I thought the concept of having a strong squad was that you could ride out injuries. Clearly, we haven't been able to so far and whilst I will agree Manuel has some part to play in that, the quality of the players available is also a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.