Post Match Thread: City vs Spurs

Had to laugh at the after match Spurs celebrations , only short of a Stevie G , "lets go again huddle" .

This amongst other reasons is why, if we don't win the league, I hope Leicester do it. If not Leicester, then reluctantly Arsenal. Apart from United, I would rather anyone won the league than Spurs.

The Spurs winner was a nightmare and most of us appear to hold Kolorov responsible for not following Erikson's run. By repeated freeze framing it emerges that Kolorov followed until in line with Zaba, while Otamendi went to the Spurs lad. If Vinnie had stepped up at that point Erikson would have been clearly offside when the ball was played through - if we could trust the officials to give it. As it was Vinnie stayed put and played him onside. Small margins and probably the result of Vinnie's lengthy lay off.

It was clearly Otamendi's fault for breaking the defensive line and diving in AGAIN! Otamendi should have been aware of the run from Erikson and covered it and allowed Kompany to challenge Lamela on the edge of the box.

A much more professional performance at the weekend and what a relief it is to have something we can once again call a defence with Kompany back marshaling the back four. Call it nostalgia but it gladdened my heart to see Zabba, Kompany, Yaya, Silva and Aguero playing together again. I don't know how long it has been but having Kompany back seemed to give even Yaya a lift.

Also great to see Mr Pellegrini acting like a footballer manager for the first time this season and actually having a game plan which took into account the opposition on the day. Definitely a change from the norm but one I would wholeheartedly recommend he sticks with for the rest of the season.

The one thing that has struck me reading this thread is the amount of stick Yaya is getting for his weekend performance.Yes he lost the ball in midfield trying to beat too many players, but that wasn't why Spurs scored. Spurs scored because Otamendi had a rush of blood and rather than keeping the defensive line and being aware of their runner who was on his side; he lost his discipline and got attracted to the ball which created the space for Erikson to exploit.

I thought Yaya had a decent game, his best in a while and I agree with the analysis here as to why this was. I thought our biggest under performer was Sterling once again. He doesn't appear to know what he is role is for me. There is talk here as to why we cannot keep possession as we used to, swapping Sterling for Nasri is a huge reason. I've seen enough of Sterling to believe that he is good at one thing and one thing only, running in behind the opposition defence. This has to be running onto either a defence splitting pass or a pass for him to run on to down the wing. That's it. He cant play clever one touch pass and move, he cant hold the ball up under pressure from a defender and when given time to think, he cant select the correct action. So rather than play him on the shoulder of the last defender which would really give the opposition something to think about, we play him in this no mans land Silva position where he offers nothing offensively or defensively. Used effectively I think Sterling could be a very potent weapon especially on the break, but Pellegrini sees it differently.

As such Sterling's contribution is a much bigger problem than Yaya's and for us to start picking up points quickly it needs to be addressed now.

@Mr Ed (The Stables) You were right my friend, it must be my youthful naivety. Unlucky by all accounts. I remember thinking before the Leicester game that nothing more than six points will suffice against them and spurs. In retrospect a draw against both would have been good enough.

Ah well, top 4 and a trophy will do nicely

I take no pride whatsoever when predicting City will lose or fail.

I've just watched us for too long.

Next season will be completely the opposite effect, and a season I'm really looking forward to, for the first time in two years.

Pisses me off so much the lack of unity there seems to be in the squad at the moment. I don't expect huddles or hugging each other but ffs not to go and embrace Kelechi after the equalizer was shambolic. I'd of even been sort of satisfied with a draw on Sunday with our injury situation, as Spurs have been an exceptionally good team this year. Yet again relying on other teams to slip up...we have to replicate our early season form of going on a 5 match run of victories for for them convince me they've still got a realistic chance to win this league.

Show some effort/fight and not just when we're a goal down for fuck sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Spurs winner was a nightmare and most of us appear to hold Kolorov responsible for not following Erikson's run. By repeated freeze framing it emerges that Kolorov followed until in line with Zaba, while Otamendi went to the Spurs lad. If Vinnie had stepped up at that point Erikson would have been clearly offside when the ball was played through - if we could trust the officials to give it. As it was Vinnie stayed put and played him onside. Small margins and probably the result of Vinnie's lengthy lay off.
There's the perennial problem in one.

Was chatting to Tony Book this morning and he referred to the penalty decision as one of the worst he'd ever seen. Considering the amount of professional football he's been involved in, that really is saying something.

I take no pride whatsoever when predicting City will lose or fail.

I've just watched us for too long.

Next season will be completely the opposite effect, and a season I'm really looking forward to, for the first time in two years.

You didn't look forward to the start of this season?

We'd just signed Sterling and KDB and you weren't excited? I was ecstatic. And then we went off scoring for fun, five clean sheets, five wins. Chelsea all over the floor. This looked like being the season when we finally showed our true class and dominated from the start. It was incredibly exciting, surely?

Anyone feel different about the loss? Were we really outplayed? Were Spurs fantastic? Were we still robbed by the ref?

I feel exactly the same as I did after the match personally. I've argued with a so called fan who said they've enjoyed all our losses more than our "fake wins" this season because they are "more exciting" I called him a rag as I genuinely believe he's posing as a City fan so he can have his troll voice heard, he also said all our players are prima donnas and deserved beating by spurs who were excellent before adding he can't wait for Pep to come and calling me a glory hunter. Have I been harsh on them, do you think there's a chance he is a genuine fan?

Re: the second goal. I'd expect more from Kolarov, but Ota's definitely at fault. He can either block/ball-win, or track. He gets in a tizzy and does neither. Indecisive then unsure then moves too late then realises he's not close enough so... stops???? Doesn't even do that correctly.

Anyway. Through the legs from yards out. Nice.

I'd say it can only get better for the lad but I thought that a few weeks ago. He's psychological blancmange at this time. Overcompensating for failing to react to the effects of his overreaction to his initial indecisiveness. He can play well for 80% of the match, but at crunch time it will get him again and again, and will continue to do so until he has a proper break and fresh start.

Never expect too much from Kolorov defensively as it will always lead to disappointment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.