Swansea (a) Post Match Thread

We're all City fans. We were all tense before the game kicked off and we got more and more tense as the game progressed. We were a goal up in no time and could have been three up in 20 minutes. It could have been Bournemouth again but it wasn't because Sergio and Kelechi failed at what they do best - putting the chances away. When Swansea equalised the tension grew and in the second half reached its peak in stoppage time. As the doommongers on Sky pointed out repeatedly, it could all go wrong in a flash. But it didn't.

And now it all seems faintly ridiculous. If we take out Sergio and Kelechi, who both had disappointing games, the team was very competent and very professional. We managed the game well and were always in control. It is true that something can always go wrong and it did when they equalised with a deflection which gave Joe no chance. It's also true that something very similar could have happened again, but it didn't because the Swans never got - and never looked like getting - another shot on goal. Joe Hart was an idle spectator. Our two CDs were dominant and our two Fernas exercised total control in midfield. Swansea got a fair share of possession but never came up with any way of using it to threaten us. We didn't have to win and with our strikers being so wasteful we made sure that if we couldn't win we certainly wouldn't lose. Mission accomplished.

Since this thread is really about the Swansea game, I'd agree, we got the job done and the scoreline flattered Swansea, but if we treat the Swansea game merely as the culmination of the season, then we've not been particularly good, and leaving it to the last game was cutting it far too fine.

If ever a single game encapsulated a season that was it. Unbelievably profligate in front of goal, sloppy passes all over the field, Aguero making no effort to win the ball back, the customary suicidal pass by Mangala across the back line straight to an opposition player, inept marking at corners, any number of truly brainless free kicks conceded, gifting the opposition a goal, and generally making a routine task as difficult as humanly possible.
There's a lot of players need moving on and there's a few more that need a good swift kick up the pants.
Hats off today to Clichy, Otters, both Ferns, Navas and KDB. Decent effort chaps. Big let downs were Kun and Nacho, the latter of whom had his worst ever game in a City shirt.
In the end it was a huge sigh of relief to qualify for the Chimps League and hopefully Pep will make his mark swiftly. There need to be a lot of changes though

It really did sum our season up, down to the unlucky (for us) deflected goal that they scored but preceded by the sloppy concession of possession you refer to and Ota going to ground.

However, we did give Swansea very few sniffs at our goal and deserved at least a point.

Good to be there to see Pellers get a proper send off from our support.

It'd be a fairer contest if Pep inherited a team as half as good as the one Pellegrini did.
Chelsea had a crackin team at the beginin of the season with a top proven manager and won fuck all. Pep has inherited brilliant teams also, hes never built his own team. In saying that as a diehard Blue I wish him every success and hope he sweeps the board but lets not all get carried away as if he has a magic wand and City will win everything in sight just because Pep is the manager.

My main concern with Kelechi is that, unlike Rashford, he doesn't seem to have a change of gear. He definitely needs to be brought through gradually and I'd certainly want us to be in the market for a top striker in the summer. His judgment and control were fucking awful today, but I was probably more annoyed with Aguero. Our best ever striker he may be, but he's coasting big time at the moment. Hopefully Pep will get him firing on all cylinders again

Unless Kun is on his way and we don't know it or has been carring an injury, he is going to get bloody huge rocket from Pep.

I can't work out if we were unfit or just not arsed. Either way it's unacceptable.

So glad this season is over

Roll on August (well July now if we have to play a qualifier)

Fair assessment, so the only other factor to be considered when discussing where it all went wrong has to be the managers involved. In that statement you'll find your answer, its as simple as that mate.

Well, then it all shifts into 'who is buying the players' etc. Hand on heart I didn't see any of Sterling / KdB / Bony / Mangala / Otamendi / Delph / Fernando being bad buys. I was quite excited by most of them, even if I did think we'd paid over the odds for most of them. There was nobody in that list that had me thinking 'he is total waste of space'. However, now I'm asking which of those has truly improved us, and I can only name one (KdB) and that's not good for a club aspiring to win a domestic league, let alone CL. We're hardly alone in not buying too well, but that's no excuse.

Or - we have bought well, and the manager just isn't getting the best out of them. We'll only discover that once Pep arrives.

I can look for positives / potential in most of those players, but I'd be struggling to say Sterling's moved us any further forward than Bellamy, or that Mangala's been any more effective than Lescott etc.
Bony's certainly been worse than Dzeko, and Delph / Fernando aren't any better than the De Jong or Garcia days. I understand why we got Delph and can't say he's a bad player, I'm just talking about tangible improvements to us as a squad, and don't think we're any better than when Pellegrini arrived.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.