City v Chelsea post match

We did play well and should have been 3 nil up before their 1st goal, we will only get better ...so chill.

Didn't feel like getting up at 0630 this morning when the alarm went off, so watched the game DVR, which means I MAY have a slight advantage of seeing many of the incidents numerous times, with slo-mo replays, and looking at key incidents over and again.

First thing, I would say is that scoreline flatters Chelsea. They were clinical, and in a counter-attacking team that is vital. Their clinical finishing was th difference in the game.

Second thing, City played very, very well going forward, but even at 3 on 1 at the back, we are still not snuffing out that single attacker. Costa is world class at what he does, so Ota and Stones had to be on their game. Sadly, Stones and Ota seem a little like chalk and cheese. One dives in every time, the other is too soft in the challenge. If we had ONE defender that had the nous to know when to get stuck in and when to take a step back, we might be in to something. However, with the currently set up, our defending can best described as kamikaze. We ALWAYS look like we are going to lose a goal, be it the ball over the top, the shot from outside, or the slide rule pass between the defenders. And, in Bravo, we have a GK who inspires zero confidence one on one. Will he save a few? Absolutely. But, he is not the showstopper Joe, Willy and perhaps even Angus are. I understand why Pep likes him, because 98% of the game is NOT having to stop shots. However, in THIS league, where there is always pressure on the defence, it isn't imperative that you have a commanding keeper, as well as so,dine who can pass a ball.

Thirdly, the referee BECAME the game. The early incident with Sergio and Luiz was a clear foul and the only thing that was in any doubt was yellow or red? Taylor had already made up his mind it was a foul and a yellow by putting his whistle to his mouth and reaching for his pocket....THEN he looks over to the linesman, who is on thhe over side of the field, and he didn't raise his flag, so he let's play go on. It was a turning point IF you think it should have been red, and the TV pundits over here (Robbie Mustoe and Robbie Earle) believed it was...last man, stopping an obvious goal scoring opportunity, because Sergio is then in behind with only the keeper to beat.

Fourthly, we should have won this game easily, given the chances we created and threw away. It has been the story of our season so far. Until that is sorted out, we will have to create even more chances just so there are enough to get the goals we need. If Pep had hair, he would be pulling it out. I'm sure he is happy with the attacking chances created, and they worked on their shape on Weds-Fri, so I would think that pleased him. However, in Ota, Stones and Kola, we SHOULD have enough to contain one striker. The thing we lack at the back is strength and speed combined. We need a big lad to handle the striker and a nippy sweeper type partner to help clean up and start the ball moving. Fernandinho is perfect for the role, as Mascherano was (is) at Barca, but he is also our best central midfielder, so what to do? No wonder zpep said he would like a team of Fernandinhos!

Lastly, Sergio was stupid and he is now going to miss a minimum of 4 games. It is a strikers job to get kicked around. I know, I lost two teeth and have the scars all over my ankles, knees and shins to prove it, not to mention a broken wrist and torn ankle ligaments. While I know they have previous, and Brazil -Argentina is always going to create fireworks, it was pure red mist stupidity. Two weeks wages to charity at a minimum for doing that to the team and the December schedule. Fernandinho was also out of order, although Fabregas did him no favors by flopping over the horsing as his bench came over to grab Fernandinho. Lift your hands to the throat and grab, and you are probably going off. The linesman sent him off, as he rushed over to that incident. How Chaloubi doesn't get a red card I don't know. But, once again, a Chelsea player who should not have been on the field becomes the story of the game at the end. There can be no excuse for Aguero or Fernandinho, but all one wants is for a ref to be consistent and Taylor doesn't appear to have the balls to be consistent in the big moments...just like almost every other ref, except the ones who LOVE being center of the action (Twattenberg and Dean).

Chelsea are a very good team, and may even go on to win the league. but we ripped them open many, many times and just didn't convert the chances. They cut through us three times with either a long ball or quick counter and found us wanting For speed and guile. That is down to the quality at the back, which clearly has to be addressed. That said, we won't lose another game 3-1 while dominating the possession and chances like that. At 1-0 up, the De Bruyne chance ends the game. Instead, it hits the bar and we give it away.

For me, there are many, many good takeaways from that game, but they are overshadowed by 1) the result, 2) the red cards which hurt us for the next three weeks not today, and 3) the way the headlines will be written because of the score. No matter, it is all about building a team and a squad for next season, while making top four for the CL. Next season and the season afterwards will be the yardstick by which this team rebuilding will be measured. With young talent being brought to the fore, and a couple of quality transfer windows, I expect the team to be vastly different a few years from now.

Bring it on!
Excellent post.

We've got no minerals and seen more interested in the theory of football that we are in winning games

That said, we played well but Chelsea are better than us

Still can't get over how bad Otamendi was for Chelsea's first two goals! I'm gutted, we were on top and in control of the game up until Chelsea's first.

In terms of our goalkeepers and defenders; who is genuinely good enough? Who would get into other top sides in Europe? Stones and Kompany, but Kompany is always injured, so one defender.

Don't think Stones would, at the moment. I'm sure he's going to be that in the future.
But he needs a top class experienced central defender alongside, to learn from.
Certainly not Otamendi or Kolarov.

Chelsea played the game well today lost count of the number of times we were in possession in a threatening area only to play the ball into touch due to cheating b******s rolling round on the floor only to jump up fine it's time to stop this practice and let the ref call it if a player is injured

Not sure if already mentioned - but Ottomendi got his 5th Yellow today - so will miss the next PL game.
In my opinion it was a good old fashioned tackle - and he got the ball but the W*nkin' ref gave the foul because their player hopped around for a few seconds
pretending that he was hurt.
Physical challenges are being irradicated from the game - these days.

I dread to think what the defence will look like next week! Please do not put Clichy and Kolorov in the same side!

KDB scores to make it 2-0 rather than hitting the bar and this thread would be all about how we'll piss the league and Pep is God.

We were the better side overall. The difference being they are ruthless as fuck whereas we are far to fucking nice.

Move on guys.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.