Player Thread: Patrick Roberts

he did two thing last night that navas couldnt do,he dribbled passed his man and scored with ease

I always think that when Navas comes on, or starts, the play will be, if nothing else, 'direct'! There's plenty of talk about 'glass ceilings', but Navas seems to hit a glass wall when he gets down in the corner. He would be some player if he could ever dribble past his full back, get to the goal line and pull it back, or even cut inside and shoot!

These are things that I have seen Roberts do regularly. There were two Celtic fans in front of me on Tuesday. (I don't know what we'd done but they didn't reappear for the second half!) They were very enthusiastic about him. Directness with an end product! It is Messi-like!

Check out his assist for Celtic's third goal at the weekend. It's the sort of pass that even Silva or De Bruyne would have been proud to make, and one that I don't think Sterling would ever have the vision for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/38201425 (at 3.47)

Tbf Sterling would know that if you play that ball in the Premier League, the cb has a cigarette then steps to the side, controls it, passes it & the opposition spring off on a counter attack (unless it's one of our cbs).

That's the same thing Iheanacho is learning, that his clever passes & flicks get cut out & he has to either go up a level & do them much better or play it simpler & even Sane is finding that too.

But even though Roberts wouldn't get away with that pass at our level, the fact Roberts sees it & can execute it, means there's a chance he can learn to open defences with passes at a higher level & it's good to see. He won't be able to rely on just beating players.

I always think that when Navas comes on, or starts, the play will be, if nothing else, 'direct'! There's plenty of talk about 'glass ceilings', but Navas seems to hit a glass wall when he gets down in the corner. He would be some player if he could ever dribble past his full back, get to the goal line and pull it back, or even cut inside and shoot!

These are things that I have seen Roberts do regularly. There were two Celtic fans in front of me on Tuesday. (I don't know what we'd done but they didn't reappear for the second half!) They were very enthusiastic about him. Directness with an end product! It is Messi-like!

I agree mate Navas is like the Duracel Bunny its admirable, he never stops running, On the downside he struggles to beat a man, cant dribble, panics when he gets in front of goal therefore struggle to score, hits few crosses that actually get into the box.

You like me have been going long enough to see the Good The Bad and The Ugly. In all that time how many players would you put in this side instead of Navas.

Barnes, Coleman, Tueart, Mike Summerbee, Kennedy, Wagstaffe, Neil Young, Clive Wilson, S.W.P, Milner and Tommy Hutchison.

I agree mate Navas is like the Duracel Bunny its admirable, he never stops running, On the downside he struggles to beat a man, cant dribble, panics when he gets in front of goal therefore struggle to score, hits few crosses that actually get into the box.

You like me have been going long enough to see the Good The Bad and The Ugly. In all that time how many players would you put in this side instead of Navas.

Barnes, Coleman, Tueart, Mike Summerbee, Kennedy, Wagstaffe, Neil Young, Clive Wilson, S.W.P, Milner and Tommy Hutchison.

And let's not forget Dave Ewing, RS!

Roberts is a very talented lad. Bit inconsistent but that goes with a wingplayer his age. Not sure if Tuesday was a good game to jugde him properly as he was facing Clichy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.