Paid too much

If she's been genuinely overpaid in error, it should be returned.

Refusing to pay might lead to trouble down the line.

Saying you'll pay but can't afford it right now or in full is perfectly reasonable. Make an offer of £xx a month, depending on the size of the debt and don't take the piss too much. Then you're agreeing to pay it back and there's little they can do.

My girlfriend left her job in October and got her payed into her bank, as usual.
Now we have had a letter off her previous employer, saying that they had
payed her too much. Apparently they should have deducted some days holidays,
that she had taken but not accrued for the year. They say we have to pay it by 23rd December
or they will put it to their recovery agents.

Anyone know where we stand on this, as it's a bloody awkward time to be sending demands.

They fucked up and are now demanding you pay it back by the 23rd? Fuck that.

Offer to set up a payment plan for an affordable amount each month from next year. Chances are if it's just a few hundred quid it's not worth their time chasing it anyway.

We had a similar scenario where we'd overpaid someone. They set up a plan to pay back so much per month. They paid a couple of months as agreed then stopped. In the end it got written off at year end.

My girlfriend left her job in October and got her payed into her bank, as usual.
Now we have had a letter off her previous employer, saying that they had
payed her too much. Apparently they should have deducted some days holidays,
that she had taken but not accrued for the year. They say we have to pay it by 23rd December
or they will put it to their recovery agents.

Anyone know where we stand on this, as it's a bloody awkward time to be sending demands.
How much is it?

If she's been genuinely overpaid in error, it should be returned.

Refusing to pay might lead to trouble down the line.

Saying you'll pay but can't afford it right now or in full is perfectly reasonable. Make an offer of £xx a month, depending on the size of the debt and don't take the piss too much. Then you're agreeing to pay it back and there's little they can do.

Sounds a reasonable enough suggestion and they ought to accept that. If they don't then they're the ones taking the piss I reckon.

Good job it's not HMRC it's owed to as they can be a lot more unforgiving in circumstances like this. My boss once got a tax bill for around £1800 just after Christmas one year. He phoned HMRC up and asked if he could pay in instalments. They said "yes of course - £900 this week and £900 next week"!

Sounds a reasonable enough suggestion and they ought to accept that. If they don't then they're the ones taking the piss I reckon.

Good job it's not HMRC it's owed to as they can be a lot more unforgiving in circumstances like this. My boss once got a tax bill for around £1800 just after Christmas one year. He phoned HMRC up and asked if he could pay in instalments. They said "yes of course - £900 this week and £900 next week"!
It sounds like your boss rolled over and had his tummy tickled ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.