Maine Rd terrace characters

Top left-ish new Kippax (as you would see it from the Main Stand opposite). Few lads just kept singing 'Ciity Ciiity, the best team in the land in all the world'. Feels like they hardly stopped, game after game.

Rest of us were slagging off Nicky Summerbee

Edit: not top top - top below the boxes. If you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Dickie Mint was his nick name back in the 70s, 80s & 90s... there is another bloke nicknamed badger... he has hundreds of metal badges on an old scarf and just as many on his coat..

Badger's brilliant. You'll have seen him in Grey Mare Lane pubs for years. He was a double act with his now deceased brother Tom. Both characters.

My old man who'd be 103 now was a bit of a character at City games.

We all went to the 6th round cup game at Leeds in March 1967. We got split up,we went on to the open end & he decided to go in the Scratching Shed. After Charlton scored there was a punch up with bobbies helmets flying about. Next minute my old man,who was well into his fifties was thrown over the wall and frog marched round the pitch,down the tunnel & ejected. When we got back to the coach he just said "don't tell your mother".

He later explained "that a Yorkie stumbled, my knee automatically jerked up and I found myself stood on him". He hated everything to do with Yorkshire !!! We've pissed ourselves talking about it over the years & till this day my mother who's 90 now still knows nothing about it.

The bloke with the french horn who played "the Vikings" tune
I loved this.
I know the "Best team in all the land in all the world" song came from it but it doesn't have quite the impact that preceding it with a "Da-Da Da. Da-Da, Da. Da-Da Da-Da Da-Da, Da-Da Da_Da" introduction.
We need to bring it back...

Last edited:
Who was,the lad on crutches who was with us home and away in the mad 80s, never forget seeing him at Barnsley when it was all going off before the cavalrie arrived down the hill. Haha happy days

Who was,the lad on crutches who was with us home and away in the mad 80s, never forget seeing him at Barnsley when it was all going off before the cavalrie arrived down the hill. Haha happy days

Talking crutches, anyone remember the semi final at Chelsea in the European cup winners cup 1970, if I remember correctly....no names mentioned Mark....but he was cool as fcuk

Talking crutches, anyone remember the semi final at Chelsea in the European cup winners cup 1970, if I remember correctly....no names mentioned Mark....but he was cool as fcuk
I was at that game stood at the shed end with my Everton knocked off scarf on,71 not 70.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.