Nathan Ake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying I don't like him though Pep referenced it near the end of the season where he said he prays at set pieces and corners, don't forget Lorente goal eventually cost us in Europe
He constantly references it especially after narrow away wins when he brings on defensive reinforcements to see the game out such as Burnley maybe that's why the Mangler has got an extension :)

We need a centre half who can deal with big physical forwards, effectively replacing Kompany. Ake is nowhere near big enough or a good enough defender.

Can understand the reasoning but big strikers who play for teams that can hurt us are few and far between.

The key thing is are we looking for a starter or a back-up? If a back-up, he is a good option. Top class players are not happy to be third or fourth choice. If we are looking for a first choice, then he is not a particularly good signing, IMO. This is why I am not sure we are interested. We have gone from looking for a first choice in Maguire to now searching for a back-up?

If we signed him as back-up, he would be useful as he is left footed (if my memory served me correctly), homegrown (I believe) and he is good with the ball. The fact that he is left footed gives us options as Laporte is our only left footed centre half. A further positive is that he is less likely to get in the way of Garcia's development path.

Like you, I do like the idea of having a centre half whose head is a magnet to the ball. Vinny's ability to win almost all headers when teams were 'throwing it in the mixer' was so important to us down the years.

The reality is buying maguire for in the region of £80 Mill because he is hg is crazy, Ake is half the price and pretty much ticks almost all the same boxes. That's just good transfer business, same as Angelino.

The problem with Ake is his height, losing Kompany leaves a gap in how to manage the likes of Burnley and Brighton, the near post defending was a concern last season, someone with a physical presence is required

I am hoping Rodri will, to some extent, address that issue

Not saying I don't like him though Pep referenced it near the end of the season where he said he prays at set pieces and corners, don't forget Lorente goal eventually cost us in Europe

It was also a handball that VAR should have caught.

Can understand the reasoning but big strikers who play for teams that can hurt us are few and far between.

The key thing is are we looking for a starter or a back-up? If a back-up, he is a good option. Top class players are not happy to be third or fourth choice. If we are looking for a first choice, then he is not a particularly good signing, IMO. This is why I am not sure we are interested. We have gone from looking for a first choice in Maguire to now searching for a back-up?

If we signed him as back-up, he would be useful as he is left footed (if my memory served me correctly), homegrown (I believe) and he is good with the ball. The fact that he is left footed gives us options as Laporte is our only left footed centre half. A further positive is that he is less likely to get in the way of Garcia's development path.

Like you, I do like the idea of having a centre half whose head is a magnet to the ball. Vinny's ability to win almost all headers when teams were 'throwing it in the mixer' was so important to us down the years.

When we press high we force the opposition to make a decision. Play out the back or lump it long. Most will lump it long to their target man up front who will try to lay it off for their team mate. Like you said Vinnie was great at winning most headers, but also most aerial duels using his physicality. Then winning the 2nd ball is important. If we don't do either of these things the opposition just bypassed our midfield. Also we won't be able control possession as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.