Bluemoon Fitness Thread

Did deadlifts for the first time yesterday - pathetically low weight of 20kg 4 x 10 reps, slightly wide knees .

My trainer said it’s normal to feel all the stress in the back as I was apprehensive about doing them due to risks of disc prolapse.
I’m sore in my glutes/hamstring and mainly my lower back.

Anyone with experience able to reassure me on how important it is to create a ‘block’ with the correct chest expansion, abdominal muscles tight and lower back ? My trainer didn’t mention this to me
Form is essential pal,as prevention is always better than cure.

Build up the weight slowly as the weeks go by - 5x5 would be a great routine.

Your trainer probably didn't mention technique/form as he probably hasn't much of a clue,like many 'trainers' unfortunately.

Form is essential pal,as prevention is always better than cure.

Build up the weight slowly as the weeks go by - 5x5 would be a great routine.

Your trainer probably didn't mention technique/form as he probably hasn't much of a clue,like many 'trainers' unfortunately.

My trainer said that back support belts are not good for me at this stage as he wants 'to stimulate my back muscles' which I appreciate. He said its not possible to prolapse a disc at such a low weight. What doesn't help in lifting weights is I am tall and have long arms/legs

@FantasyIreland - if I am doing shoulder exercises like lateral raises and presses and mainly feeling sore in my trapezius and not lateral deltoids, does this mean I should do them a different way/different weight?

My trainer said that back support belts are not good for me at this stage as he wants 'to stimulate my back muscles' which I appreciate. He said its not possible to prolapse a disc at such a low weight. What doesn't help in lifting weights is I am tall and have long arms/legs

@FantasyIreland - if I am doing shoulder exercises like lateral raises and presses and mainly feeling sore in my trapezius and not lateral deltoids, does this mean I should do them a different way/different weight?
Its possible to cause injury with any weight,so that is pure nonsense.

Regarding your shoulder pressing.....the targeted area is the delt head,so yes DOMS should be felt there rather than the traps.Try using dumbbells,seated - slow and steady.I wouldnt bother with lat raises at this stage.

Did deadlifts for the first time yesterday - pathetically low weight of 20kg 4 x 10 reps, slightly wide knees .

My trainer said it’s normal to feel all the stress in the back as I was apprehensive about doing them due to risks of disc prolapse.
I’m sore in my glutes/hamstring and mainly my lower back.

Anyone with experience able to reassure me on how important it is to create a ‘block’ with the correct chest expansion, abdominal muscles tight and lower back ? My trainer didn’t mention this to me

Honestly, if you've never deadlifted before, I'd say even 20kg is too much, I started with a broom handle to get the technique 'memorised' in my muscles and brain.

As far as creating the block, as you get heavier, look into the valsalva manoeuvre:

Right, in 12 weeks I’ve managed to drop 15kg down to a healthy 88kg. (I’m 6’ 4” so it’s not too bad)

Managed to get back to benching 110kg (3x8) and doing weighted chin ups (again 3x8 with a 15kg weight on my belt). Can also see my abs again for the first time in about five years.

Managed to not drink apart from two nights in that time and I’m over the fucking moon. Roll on summer holidays (leave work for a month on Monday) and keeping the gym routine up to try and get ‘bigger’ whilst keeping it lean. Been a very hard three months but I couldn’t be any happier.

Just done barbell squats for first time today on a Smith machine. 4 x 10 reps - was tough especially to get form right initially.

Also did deadlifts again but with 12kg sandbag - I felt much more confident.

More than halfway through the summer, how’s everyone keeping up?

I survived a two week all inclusive and managed to keep training throughout, put on two kilos but not too upset as decided this would coincide with a bulking phase to try and increase muscle hypertrophy for the next two months (not saying I want to be a fat bastard - picture from this afternoon):

2lnbejb.jpg

Blanked the wife out as she says she looked like crap. (Also changed my training gear to Puma to follow City)

Tons of info in here, was just reading the early pages and thought that I probably might like to have a pick through it all at some point.

I haven't been running for around 4 weeks now whilst I waited for my knee to fix itself. In that time I have been using the bikes in the gym, light weights and some push ups (I aim for 100 but in blocks of 20). I have also occasionally used a weighted vest for 10 or 20 of those push ups, depending on how it feels.

I have also been boxing and try to go 3 minute rounds with no stops against the bag. I can do 3 or 4 now.

More than halfway through the summer, how’s everyone keeping up?

I survived a two week all inclusive and managed to keep training throughout, put on two kilos but not too upset as decided this would coincide with a bulking phase to try and increase muscle hypertrophy for the next two months (not saying I want to be a fat bastard - picture from this afternoon):

2lnbejb.jpg

Blanked the wife out as she says she looked like crap. (Also changed my training gear to Puma to follow City)

Nice one Sam,the effort paying off nicely.

Tons of info in here, was just reading the early pages and thought that I probably might like to have a pick through it all at some point.

I haven't been running for around 4 weeks now whilst I waited for my knee to fix itself. In that time I have been using the bikes in the gym, light weights and some push ups (I aim for 100 but in blocks of 20). I have also occasionally used a weighted vest for 10 or 20 of those push ups, depending on how it feels.

I have also been boxing and try to go 3 minute rounds with no stops against the bag. I can do 3 or 4 now.
Good work mate.

With the press ups, you could probably shave off a little time and yet increase work and chest shape by doing three sets of superset 10x decline, flat, incline press ups with a two minute break between the sets.

It’s only 90 compared with 100 but will work your lower, upper and middle chest. I moved over to that a couple of months back and feel my chest had really pumped up and shaped more roundly than flat press ups alone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.