Does the offside rule need changing?

....and to think the offside rule was only brought in to stop goal-hanging.
Speaking of goal-hanging ;- how many of van Nistelroy's goals would have been chalked off with VAR used fairly?
There was a position called "kick through", or goal hanger as we would call it.

All aspects of the game require the ball to have completely crossed the line to be considered a goal or out of play. Why is offside any different? The attacker should be completely beyond the final defender, not offside because a toenail is the wrong side. It's actually a really easy change for FIFA to make and could be brought in very quickly. It doesn't resolve everything by any means but as things stand this is going to kill the game and quickly I reckon.
I believe a technical committee is going to look at this, with a possible rule change at the international board in March. But why are they waiting? Changing the rule to feet is simple.

Guidelines surrounding offside decisions made by VAR will be reviewed following Manchester City's disallowed goal against West Ham. Talks will be held over whether to alter guidelines so VAR only intervenes when a clear and obvious error is made.

While the protocol is set to be studied by the IFAB and debated by its members - namely the four home nations and FIFA - any decision would likely not be made until their annual meeting in March 2020. [@TimesSport]

I take back saying we just have to get used to it,this season we will but maybe not next season,there would be point changing it for the last 2 months of the year

I'm happy to go and represent the fans to get a sensible change through!! lol

More goals, more transparent and best of all common sense maybe?

How so? Penalty wouldn't have been retaken and goal would have stood.

I thought you were talking about Jesus' goal that was disallowed. It was early enough in the game that a third then could have completely demoralised West Ham and they might have collapsed altogether.

Guidelines surrounding offside decisions made by VAR will be reviewed following Manchester City's disallowed goal against West Ham. Talks will be held over whether to alter guidelines so VAR only intervenes when a clear and obvious error is made.

While the protocol is set to be studied by the IFAB and debated by its members - namely the four home nations and FIFA - any decision would likely not be made until their annual meeting in March 2020. [@TimesSport]

I take back saying we just have to get used to it,this season we will but maybe not next season,there would be point changing it for the last 2 months of the year

But all of the warning signs were there when we lost the CL SF v Spurs by a disallowed goal in the last 20 seconds.

All aspects of the game require the ball to have completely crossed the line to be considered a goal or out of play. Why is offside any different? The attacker should be completely beyond the final defender, not offside because a toenail is the wrong side. It's actually a really easy change for FIFA to make and could be brought in very quickly. It doesn't resolve everything by any means but as things stand this is going to kill the game and quickly I reckon.
I like the idea of changing the definition of offside to give the attacker more of an advantage, but you'll still have players ruled offside because their toenail is the wrong side (or heel, by this definition) - wherever you draw the line, you can be a mm on or a mm off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.