Does the offside rule need changing?

No one is going to be happy, but for Sterlings second goal/ not to be disallowed is a shame as its great football, fast passing Goal. City will suffer more than most I think.
Still think its bent, hid away making decisions that affect results, bets and who you hit at work !!

If your offside your offside, Jesus gained a huge advantage on the Sterling offside, when the ball was played he was a good 4 yards off but because he’s not receiving the ball he’s deemed not off, yet he is clearly gaining advantage on West Ham, the ball is squared/ knocked back to him as Sterling has gone past yet he had no defender on him. If this happened to us I’d feel exactly the same way.

If your offside your offside, Jesus gained a huge advantage on the Sterling offside, when the ball was played he was a good 4 yards off but because he’s not receiving the ball he’s deemed not off, yet he is clearly gaining advantage on West Ham, the ball is squared/ knocked back to him as Sterling has gone past yet he had no defender on him. If this happened to us I’d feel exactly the same way.

You’d feel exactly the same way about what?

The goal was disallowed because Sterling was adjudged to have been offside. It has nothing to do with Jesus. That is the law and I don’t understand what your point is.

I like the idea of changing the definition of offside to give the attacker more of an advantage, but you'll still have players ruled offside because their toenail is the wrong side (or heel, by this definition) - wherever you draw the line, you can be a mm on or a mm off.

You're right, but it's far easier to argue that the attacker is getting a genuine advantage if he/she is clear of the last defender by a daylight margin. At present a really good run,as we saw by Raz on Saturday is penalised by a couple of mm.

The goal was disallowed because Sterling was adjudged to have been offside. It has nothing to do with Jesus. That is the law and I don’t understand what your point is.

My point is that Jesus was offside and gained an advantage, if sterling had been on and passed it to Jesus he scores in mu opinion it shouldn’t stand, like the old saying if you’re on the pitch you are interfering.

Marco Van Basten wants offside to be scrapped altogether and says football could benefit in a similar way to hockey

prefer the daylight rule, then its black and white and give the attacker more of the advantage. With feet there could still be debate between feet and ankle and lower leg, particularly with the boots with that elastic sock covering the ankles

prefer the daylight rule, then its black and white and give the attacker more of the advantage. With feet there could still be debate between feet and ankle and lower leg, particularly with the boots with that elastic sock covering the ankles
But there will still be an "is that daylight or not?" argument of millimetres just as we have currently with the armpits and the tracking lines. Offside will always be potentially very marginal whatever the deciding factor is until it can be determined automatically and rapidly by technology in the same way as goal-line tech.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.