Anyone else think we have missed Danilo

I think a big mistake was made letting Danilo go. He was quietly efficient in whatever position he played in. Cancelo looks nowhere near the player Danilo is. Last two seasons he filled in for injuries and suspensions and always did a top job except maybe the odd time he was tried at left back. Very underrated in my opinion.
Agree totally. Absolutely solid and dependable stand in. Cancelo by contrast looks lightweight and overpriced.

In the sense that he was already familiar with the team and wouldn't have needed time to settle in like Cancelo has this season - yes. Walker's had quite a few poor performances this season and he could've been rested a bit more if Cancelo hadn't needed time to settle in. So I don't think we've missed Danilo tactically or whatever, but it would've been nice to have someone we could throw in there comfortably, especially in the first couple months or so of the season when Walker was playing nonstop despite dips in form. People will point to Danilo's performance at Newcastle but that was at LB and everyone played poorly that night; at RB he was very dependable - probably at the level that Cancelo's been at this season, but the difference is that Cancelo's actual level once he's adapted will be much higher, whereas Danilo's ceiling isn't anywhere near as high. Also he probably would've been given a go at CB by this point since Pep tried that out a couple times last season and in pre season this summer. So basically in a short-term sense, yes... but in a long-term sense, no, we won't miss him.

He is the greatest good luck charm in world football though. Not a coincidince that we go 11 points behind after he leaves ;)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.