The state of the gardens - another police incident

A friend who volunteered for one of the homeless charities in Manchester once said people "shouldn't feed the pigeons".
I hated the language, but i got his point. It stops people getting the help they really need.
As for the design of the gardens, somebody's head should roll. To transform it from what is was, to what it is now is a regional disgrace.

Completely agree. I used to get a bus from town that went out through the northern quarter, ancoats, Bradford and out towards droylsden. The transformation in those areas is incredible.
Ancoats was vile in the 80s and 90s . Everything boarded up or half burned down. Litter everywhere. Honestly don’t think there were street cleaners in the 80s it was that scruffy. its a vast improvement today.

In general town, ancoats and the arndale were rough and manky in the 80s, lots of no go zones . The regeneration has been amazing

I used to drink on oldham street when 18 in places that are now NQ boozers but you could worry you might get hit with a pool cue at the time or felt the moodiness.

And waiting for a 219 home from outside the then closed down woolworths was awful, gangs of young lads hanging about the old gardens and mugging people.

The idea the city centre has suddenly become a dodgy place is not my experience, it was always dodgy after dark.

I used to drink on oldham street when 18 in places thay are now NQ boozers but you could het hit with a pool cue at the time or felt the moodyness.

And waiting for a 219 home from outside the then closed down woolworths was awful.

The idea the city centre has suddenly become a dodgy place is not my experience, it was always dodgy after dark.
You wouldn’t walk off market street back in the day. In the 80s on the odd occasion we went to town id look down those dark passage ways as we passed by with a sick feeling in my stomach. We would go to a little toy shop at xmas called toy and hobby which I think was down the side of primark ? I loved the shop but you’d see sex workers hanging around and my mum should hold on tight to me like I was a bargain in the sales lol

Police have cordened off picadilly gardens after what they refer to as a "fight" having taken place.

No other info but they are not allowing anyone in from morrisons to the other side of the gardens , though buses can still get from oldham st round to newton and lever st but cordon in place.

Anyone in town?

We have powerful cctv, very powerful, the greatest in the world. Cheers pat you useless Trump talking gimp.

How about some coppers cracking some heads?

Ancoats was vile in the 80s and 90s . Everything boarded up or half burned down. Litter everywhere. Honestly don’t think there were street cleaners in the 80s it was that scruffy. its a vast improvement today.

I remember a little shopping arcade in ancoats - think it had a Toys R Us or some such, and it was surrounded by waste ground. On the left as you were coming out of town. Even in my teens I remember thinking ‘who the fuck wants to shop there?’

Then after I moved south I didn’t go back through that part of town until I started going to Eastlands. The transformation is incredible.

And hats off to whoever came up with ‘New Islington.’ Gotta love that one.

I remember a little shopping arcade in ancoats - think it had a Toys R Us or some such, and it was surrounded by waste ground. On the left as you were coming out of town. Even in my teens I remember thinking ‘who the fuck wants to shop there?’

Then after I moved south I didn’t go back through that part of town until I started going to Eastlands. The transformation is incredible.

Yep, honestly can’t moan about it now. I’d walk around most parts and not bat an eyelid now

It's always been called that mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.