Ben Chilwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been thinking how much I'd take another Gael Clichy right now. I'll probably get pelters for saying it but he was consistent and we haven't had that since he left. Problem is that he wasn't anything close to a club record signing.

I'm with you mate, he was our best and most consistent left back in the last decade or more. Criminally under rated player.

I'm with you mate, he was our best and most consistent left back in the last decade or more. Criminally under rated player.
I don’t want to be rude but I feel you are looking through Rose (or sky blue) tinted glasses with Clichy. I never understood why people rated him ahead of Kolarov, his defending was equally shoddy and offered a grand total of fuck all going forward. I remember City fans at the time being equally sceptical about our left-backs as we are today. Not to mention our current ones have been more successful in a shorter period of time.

I don’t want to be rude but I feel you are looking through Rose (or sky blue) tinted glasses with Clichy. I never understood why people rated him ahead of Kolarov, his defending was equally shoddy and offered a grand total of fuck all going forward. I remember City fans at the time being equally sceptical about our left-backs as we are today. Not to mention our current ones have been more successful in a shorter period of time.
Not quite fuck all going forward. That pass to Aguero at Wolves in 2012 was a De Bruyne esque pass.

Not quite fuck all going forward. That pass to Aguero at Wolves in 2012 was a De Bruyne esque pass.
That’s true. That was definitely an exception rather than the rule. Assists and goals were VERY few and far between. He contributes a similar amount to Zinchenko going forward, maybe even less.

Chilwell is what a good fullback looked like 20 years ago. Gets up and down the field reasonably well, not awful defensively, puts in a few decent crosses.

We need dynamism from the fullback position. Pace, drive, the ability to beat a man.

Or we need a player that can play inside as a midfielder and drop into a back three as required. Chilwell really doesn’t have either skill set to the level required.

If chillwell was a 30 year old experienced steady fullback available on then cheap id take him as a stop gap to allow mendy another year to sort himself out but he’s going to cost an obscene amount for a player of limited quality and in 12 months time we will all be saying we need an upgrade on him.

I don’t care about spending£70 million on a fullback if he’s going to be a world class player for us for the next decade but this guy is not that and never will be.

I’d sooner buy Bertrand for comparative peanuts if we’re going down this route and give us a few years to source a better alternative.

UncomfortableDampArizonaalligatorlizard-size_restricted.gif

70Mill you got to be having a laugh, prefer to get this dude back

You really don't. Watched him smack a freekick against the post versus Torino the other night, got all nostalgic, and then in the second half he was left for dead, literally gave up, as Wilfried Singo raced by him. Kolarov had a 5-yard start, too.

It's a no to Chilwell from me... and I bet he would dreading training as Mahrez rips him a new one every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.