11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

The main reason there are negative comments on Doku is that some people are worried what will happen with Grealish. Well, it depends on Grealish. If Grealish is the best option, the best manager will choose the best option. Sounds almost tautological. Fanboyism aside, to worry is to underestimate Pep...

There are trade-offs with Doku and Grealish, in most games we don't need so much control as penetration. Doku's the more dangerous player going forward, and his ceiling seems to be higher. Grealish will have to step up and show the best he is capable of. We'll need him, he'll start more games over the next months.

Last edited:
Some of the comments just seem really reactive, the worst of his decision making came when he made runs centrally. Its hardly a surprise that a young winger doesn't always pick the right option when moving through those areas. They're inexperienced in general let alone breaking through the centre of the pitch. I also think the whole team suffered from a get it to Haaland mentality when he came on last night. Despite that he's already showed he has the ability and can pick the right pass numerous times this season. Then his crossing and final ball from wide areas is pretty good, he's played some intricate stuff already this year and isn't scared of getting a cross in with his weak foot. He flashed one across the face of goal last night that somebody should of been on the end of. That's the issue with crossing though, its inconsistent even in the best of players and especially in a team like ours where we aren't exactly giants. That's without mentioning the fact he's just coming back from an injury too. I think his early season form will be his worst enemy with our fans as people are expecting the finish product when he's never going to be. His impact already this season was more than I was expecting in his first year so anything more now is a bonus.

While the above is really just an opinion, stats also do back it up:

1706777958890.png
1706778014097.png

Let's cut to the chase, drop all the pussyfooting and dressing this up - he does not improve us and is verging on being a liability. There I've said it.
Many of you clearly think otherwise and he will hit this magic "final ball and vision button". He's busy, fast and likes to dribble - obviously skillful feet - but doesn't suit the set up that has made us so good. Maybe we're abandoning that and are in "transition".
That was Burnley and many think he played well.
I hope this improvement many are foretelling of - really is miraculous.
At the moment I feel some are happy to be hoodwinked by pace and cover up his short-comings with "whens and ifs".
Happy to be proved completely wrong. Who wouldn't want a dribbling, pacey winger with the ability to pick a pass and retain possession. A tall order I know.

Last edited:
I thought he was much better last night. Still plenty of room for improvement in his decision making/final ball, but his ability to beat his man is a huge help against low blocks. The notion that he isn't going to improve is ridiculous. He's a 21 year old in his first season in a new league, playing under Pep Guardiola. He's only going to get better.

Let's cut to the chase, drop all the pussyfooting and dressing this up - he does not improve us and is verging on being a liability. There I've said it.
Many of you clearly think otherwise and he will hit this magic "final ball and vision button". He's busy, fast and likes to dibble - obviously skillful feet - but doesn't suit the set up that has made us so good. Maybe we're abandoning that and are in "transition".
That's unfair, I can see you've lost patience with him already, tbf he was very frustrating last night but he only has three main areas he needs to work on;

Final ball, defensive duties and shooting. His ability to beat a man is very rare and his overall link up play is good.

IMO he should be used on the right wing just to get him used to picking out his teammates with better crosses. When he masters the skill of the final ball into the box and crossing into better areas then he can be switched to the LW.

Many of you clearly think otherwise and he will hit this magic "final ball and vision button". He's busy, fast and likes to dibble - obviously skillful feet - but doesn't suit the set up that has made us so good. Maybe we're abandoning that and are in "transition".
I really dont know what you’ve been watching to come up with that.

Some right weirdos in here. The guy is all or nothing in his style, he's bound to lose the ball more than most. It needs a bit of tuning from pep and it will happen, hes barely played a dozen games for us ffs. If you can't see the frightening prospect we have on our hands you really should be picking a different sport to follow. He's a massive threat for us even if things aren't coming off.

Doku is in the same category as haaland and kdb with their ability to impact the game just by their presence on the pitch. He offers the threat in behind and the 1v1 abilty that's almost unique to him in our squad, it changes how the opposition deal with us when he's in the pitch in the same way haaland just being on the pitch does

Considering he got slaughtered for it last game and rightly so, it's worth pointing out his work rate tonight was the best it's been, definitely a case of the message sinking in and saw an extra effort to work his arse off going the other way. Think he won the ball back about half a dozen times for us in our own third.
He is learning for sure. At one point last night he went to sleep off the ball when he should have been pressing their full back. He got a rocket from Kev, acknowledged it and was better defensively afterwards. That side of his game will come for sure. As far as the final ball goes, he has shown he can do it. He will do it more consistently as he develops. How often does a 'final ball' from Kev or Phil work? It stands out with Doku because of the fantastic positions he gets into with his quick feet, dribble and acceleration.

I would like to see him start against low block teams this season and Jack against rivals that will punish excessive loss of he ball. Both will be important to wether we win anything this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.