New England kit for Euro '24

So you’ll know having the traditional St George’s cross on a football kit isn’t one of ours then.
Well it’s a gesture, and I liked it. The Scots wouldn’t mess with the saltire and certainly the Yanks would hate the star spangled banner being tarred up like a box of Smarties.

So you’ll know having the traditional St George’s cross on a football kit isn’t one of ours then.
It’s a gesture plain and simple. That’s our nation’s flag, the Welsh have theirs as do the Scots, Irish and Eire, what’s the problem.

There has never been a St George’s cross on an England shirt that directly matches the flag though, there have been multiple that have changed the flags colours though. I’ve got no idea why suddenly everyone is up in arms about it (well I do, but that’s for a different thread)

I doubt Nike thought there would have been the furore there has been tbh given what’s been on it before that didn’t generate any noise at all at the time.
LOL ....I dont know why people are up in arms....well i do but.......wum

I realize that many feel the St George Cross has been co-opted by nationalist bigots, but that doesn’t change the fact that the NATIONAL EMBLEM is still the national emblem and should be respected.

It is ironic that a USA-based company has done this and given their ridiculous reasons, when if a British company had done this with a USA national jersey, they’d be getting pilloried and boycotted!

If I was a player, I’d simply cut it out of the collar (while I was cutting big fucking holes in my socks because cramp has suddenly become a new and destructive force in football!!!).

It really is simple: The nation’s flag on a national team jersey should be a red cross on a white background and the last thing a FOREIGN COMPANY should be doing is “stylizing” a national emblem of significance.

To be quite honest, even though I usually like the blue jerseys, I can’t fathom why it’s not always a white first kit and a red second kit, with a blue(?) third kit if there’s still a colour clash?!

Nike should be forced to change it.

I understand the pricing issue, but it’s right in line with team jerseys, so that’s nothing new. Every club wants the $50-100M sponsorship money, but no-one wants to pay the cost to cover the deal. Oh well, don’t buy the jersey!

There's no need for a flag on the shirt. England are the three lions, that's what is on our badge. Like most nations, there is a nod to the flag through the general colour scheme used on shirts. However, like most club sides there's now a desire to modernise and be more flamboyant in the design and colour scheme used on kits. I don't believe Nike have done anything but decide to incorporate a cross as a nod to the flag, but colour it in line with the wider theme of the kit. Nothing more to it, and no issue with it. They've not stuck a box around it and a little stick, they've just given it an essence on the neck. And previous kits have had a similar "nod" to the cross but with varying colours, and no one gave a shit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.