Do our stewards only hassle Blues

At this moment in time I would not rule anything out.
You can go back on here and other places and loads of people said with success would come a price to pay and we're now seeing it. Look I can't knock the club. I recently watched a Dave Bernstein interview with Ian Cheesman. He he was asked where the club would be if we hadn't beat Gillingham, moved to the new stadium and had the takeover. He said probably on a par with Everton. He's right, that's the truth.

For me I've been there since1968. I saw the glory days of Bell, Lee and Summerbee as a kid and I was stood on the terraces at Wembley in 1976 when we won the league cup, our last trophy for 35 years at the time. I've loved following City all over the country, even when we were not so good. I didn't care, it was my club and even if I was stood on those terraces alone I would have done it. I've fought on trains, buses, in pubs, on the street and on the terraces to defend my club and fellow fans. Not boasting or pretending to be a hard nut, I wasn't, but that's how it was back in the day. Those who were there know. Since the takeover this club has given me the best years of my life as a City fan in 56 years. The most exciting football and footballers I have ever seen and obviously the most trophies. I've loved every second. There is a but.... and I'm coming to that.

I totally get football is now big business and global. Luckily for us we're at the top of the tree at the moment, the hottest ticket in town. I love it. As a FOC now I can't complain. It's just over £18 a game and hey even though the local transport is on the whole shit it only costs me £10 a year to use it. Here's the but. Something doesn't feel right. It doesn't sit well with me that non season card holders are being charged £60+ a game. At a time when many people are struggling to pay bills it doesn't sit right with me we keep on increasing prices, no matter how small. It's wrong and football is unlike any other business. Football is based on emotion and loyalty. Fads and trends come and go. The hottest nightclub in town yesterday is now a block of apartments. That's trends. If you treat your football club and it's fans this way, then when the trend ends, when we're not winning trophies and no longer the hottest ticket in town, what then? I'll tell you what then, a half empty stadium and no loyal fanbase to bail you out. That's the reality. Your call City.
Nice post - but any modern examples of that?
Nited
Liverpool
Arse
Villa
?
Reached the pinnacles and then had barren spells - still got full stadiums and loyal (If weird) fans to bail them out.

That's the rub - football fans aren't a consumer commodity, they're different - it's in the blood.

At this moment in time I would not rule anything out.
You can go back on here and other places and loads of people said with success would come a price to pay and we're now seeing it. Look I can't knock the club. I recently watched a Dave Bernstein interview with Ian Cheesman. He he was asked where the club would be if we hadn't beat Gillingham, moved to the new stadium and had the takeover. He said probably on a par with Everton. He's right, that's the truth.

For me I've been there since1968. I saw the glory days of Bell, Lee and Summerbee as a kid and I was stood on the terraces at Wembley in 1976 when we won the league cup, our last trophy for 35 years at the time. I've loved following City all over the country, even when we were not so good. I didn't care, it was my club and even if I was stood on those terraces alone I would have done it. I've fought on trains, buses, in pubs, on the street and on the terraces to defend my club and fellow fans. Not boasting or pretending to be a hard nut, I wasn't, but that's how it was back in the day. Those who were there know. Since the takeover this club has given me the best years of my life as a City fan in 56 years. The most exciting football and footballers I have ever seen and obviously the most trophies. I've loved every second. There is a but.... and I'm coming to that.

I totally get football is now big business and global. Luckily for us we're at the top of the tree at the moment, the hottest ticket in town. I love it. As a FOC now I can't complain. It's just over £18 a game and hey even though the local transport is on the whole shit it only costs me £10 a year to use it. Here's the but. Something doesn't feel right. It doesn't sit well with me that non season card holders are being charged £60+ a game. At a time when many people are struggling to pay bills it doesn't sit right with me we keep on increasing prices, no matter how small. It's wrong and football is unlike any other business. Football is based on emotion and loyalty. Fads and trends come and go. The hottest nightclub in town yesterday is now a block of apartments. That's trends. If you treat your football club and it's fans this way, then when the trend ends, when we're not winning trophies and no longer the hottest ticket in town, what then? I'll tell you what then, a half empty stadium and no loyal fanbase to bail you out. That's the reality. Your call City.

I suspect like many big businesses the club has a series of what are called UX Personas. At the risk of twatsplaining, these are essentially (fictional/composite) pen portraits of different types of customers that seek to illustrate their rational and emotional needs and character traits; they are used to help with design decisions about what and how you offer different types of people your services. They were typically focused online but I've seen their use broadened out to real world stuff.

I would love to see City's, how they categorise the fan base and what their strategy is for each element. I imagine they'll be one for digital fans who'll never set foot in the stadium, one for affluent tourists who come on an annual pilgrimage etc Sadly there's probably one called " "Twatface The Annoying But Popular Social Media Influencer".

But the ones I'd be most interested in seeing would be the one (probably not) called "Chapo The Legacy FOC" that represents a lot on here. I sometimes wonder if there's also one called "Priced Out Percy" which makes any assumptions about marketing to them for the shit cup games that wouldn't otherwise sell out or trying to re-engage with such fans when we have a dip and a significant proportion of the tourists fuck off.

Either way I reckon they'd make a fascinating little read.

I suspect like many big businesses the club has a series of what are called UX Personas. At the risk of twatsplaining, these are essentially (fictional/composite) pen portraits of different types of customers that seek to illustrate their rational and emotional needs and character traits; they are used to help with design decisions about what and how you offer different types of people your services. They were typically focused online but I've seen their use broadened out to real world stuff.

I would love to see City's, how they categorise the fan base and what their strategy is for each element. I imagine they'll be one for digital fans who'll never set foot in the stadium, one for affluent tourists who come on an annual pilgrimage etc Sadly there's probably one called " "Twatface The Annoying But Popular Social Media Influencer".

But the ones I'd be most interested in seeing would be the one (probably not) called "Chapo The Legacy FOC" that represents a lot on here. I sometimes wonder if there's also one called "Priced Out Percy" which makes any assumptions about marketing to them for the shit cup games that wouldn't otherwise sell out or trying to re-engage with such fans when we have a dip and a significant proportion of the tourists fuck off.

Absolutely they do this, that's why we keep on getting all those surveys. On a personal level I have little to complain about. I get the heavily discounted season card. They even now run a bus I can get there and back if I choose to do so. All the other stuff I may find irritating is just modern life and football. Progress they call it and I guess it's here to stay. As I age further and continue my morphing into Victor Meldrew and at times decide to sack off the inconvenience of going to a game, but decide to watch it on TV, I would imagine the club are overjoyed with that decision. They give me my discounted fee back and make £50 on top. Everybody's happy.

Absolutely they do this, that's why we keep on getting all those surveys. On a personal level I have little to complain about. I get the heavily discounted season card. They even now run a bus I can get there and back if I choose to do so. All the other stuff I may find irritating is just modern life and football. Progress they call it and I guess it's here to stay. As I age further and continue my morphing into Victor Meldrew and at times decide to sack off the inconvenience of going to a game, but decide to watch it on TV, I would imagine the club are overjoyed with that decision. They give me my discounted fee back and make £50 on top. Everybody's happy.

That's true and for someone in your position it's still great value. All I'm saying is be vigilant; if the club starts offering heavily discounted beer to FOC season ticket holders but you can only get it from certain pumps in the ground make sure you see a member of City staff, ideally Soriano himself, drink it before you touch it :-)

Great Post mate, totally to the point

Cheers I doubt they'll listen or care. If you look at almost every business, be it sport or an office, the soulless money men ruin them. Not financially of course but they often kill the essence of what makes a place special. They die a little, then a little bit more. It's hard to put this into words but I've seen them initially make a business more successful. In doing so however they destroy the essence of what actually made the business successful, if that makes sense? As a result the business eventually folds. Short term gain but not for the betterment of the long term.

Nice post - but any modern examples of that?
Nited
Liverpool
Arse
Villa
?
Reached the pinnacles and then had barren spells - still got full stadiums and loyal (If weird) fans to bail them out.

That's the rub - football fans aren't a consumer commodity, they're different - it's in the blood.

That's a good point. United became a sort of cult club on the back of Munich and the romance of winning the European cup with Matt Busby and Bobby Charlton being survivors of that tragedy. George Best being the first football pin up/ superstar too. Then Ferguson's success and great marketing. They also bully their season ticket holders to attend with fear of losing their ticket.
Liverpool marketed their success and emotions of supporting the club very well too. We often call it a cult on here and it is. Once you get fans believing supporting a club is more special than others and almost a religious experience it makes them walking away very difficult.
Arsenal have the London tourist factor and they have been winning the odd cup and pushing in the league to retain the interest.
Villa? I think they've fluctuated but have stayed fairly loyal.

As for us we have the problem that the hard core 28-30,000 who stuck by us in the second division are 60+ and sadly dying off. Our success at the moment keeps attendances full but we have to ensure we maintain and build on that hard core support in case hard times return.

Just seen on their twitter that 3 members have lost their accreditation. Funny how they’ve turned a blind eye to the advertising hoarding rule every single time until now. Not to mention the club’s big fuck off tifo which covered three lots of advertising hoardings yesterday. The club has handled this very poorly

Shame that,

Yesterday was embarrassing.
Tourists who had no idea where they were sitting.
And only interested in taking a picture with a half and half scarf.
Wankers

They were profiling the fanbase well before the takeover. Alistair Mackintosh said it in an interview he gave while he was CEO.

Whilst I think we’ll be there or thereabouts for the foreseeable, something will be lost when Pep goes and interest from tourists will decline. Attracting Blues back will be very difficult as they’ll have fallen out of the habit of going.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.