Joe Royle - has he been acknowledged enough?

You can look at it the other side on Dickov, his best season for us he scored 10 goals. Admittedly a very significant one. If he had been a decent striker instead of a headless chicken we would not have been in the third division.

In a parallel universe he could have gone down in history as the bloke who cost us promotion with his virtually forgotten about missed penalty.

I was at that game. They had a Scottish left back who could have been anywhere between early 30s and mid 50s with a Yosser Hughes tache. He had Holden in his pocket all game

Only two things I remember from that night are every fucker robbing the supermarket behind the away end and Holden “sprinting “ the full length of the pitch celebrating his goal ( that we didn’t actually need anyway )

He was the best crosser of the ball in Europe though.

You can look at it the other side on Dickov, his best season for us he scored 10 goals. Admittedly a very significant one. If he had been a decent striker instead of a headless chicken we would not have been in the third division.

Oh don't get me wrong,Dickov will never be a huge legend in my eyes,albeit he scored a very important goal in the scheme of things,I agree completely with what you say.

But this is my thoughts about Royle,and Dickov saved his bacon,and reputation purely with that goal.

I have great respect and affection for Joe Royle. He did a truly great job for us, at a time when City was a total mad house and we came close to complete meltdown. He is also one of the nicest and most polite blokes you could wish to meet.
Funnily, I was told last week that Joe had attended a supporters club branch meeting recently and stated that he didn’t rate Rico Lewis, and that in Gary Mason he had managed a young player who did much the same thing. I can only think with all due respect, that Joe’s memory is fading a bit, but even so, a top bloke In my eyes.

I have great respect and affection for Joe Royle. He did a truly great job for us, at a time when City was a total mad house and we came close to complete meltdown. He is also one of the nicest and most polite blokes you could wish to meet.
Funnily, I was told last week that Joe had attended a supporters club branch meeting recently and stated that he didn’t rate Rico Lewis, and that in Gary Mason he had managed a young player who did much the same thing. I can only think with all due respect, that Joe’s memory is fading a bit, but even so, a top bloke In my eyes.
I rated Gary Mason too, think he had a good debut.

It was also around that time that I gave up making predictions about footballers.

A true City legend, key member of the team that won the League Cup in 1975/76, then were runners-up in the league in 1976/77 as well as putting in some fantastic performances in Europe for us. Then there is his invaluable service as manager, taking us from our lowest ebb, back to being a healthy club capable of playing in the Premier League.

Happy birthday Sir Joe!.

Only two things I remember from that night are every fucker robbing the supermarket behind the away end and Holden “sprinting “ the full length of the pitch celebrating his goal ( that we didn’t actually need anyway )

He was the best crosser of the ball in Europe though.
A fun night
Half our end were calling Holden ‘Zico’ after he scuffed home a shitty winner

Royle only being relegated or promoted as City manager is pretty good, IMO. I think he was out of his depth in the Premier League with us by then but arguably deserved his chance to keep us up.

A hugely important figure in City’s history nevertheless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.