Girl savaged to death by dogs in Manchester

york away to this! said:
mindmyp's_n_q's said:
jma said:
"My dog is as soft as anything and would never hurt a fly"

That is typical of the sort of quote on this thread.

Change the word 'is' to 'was' and the word 'would' to 'had' and you also have the standard quote from owners after many incidents where a dog has savaged someone.

The fact is, some dog breeds are far more dangerous than others. If only because they are capable of being much more aggressive and powerful if they do snap.

Of the type of breeds involved - those that people loosely stereotype as being owner by nobheads as a status symbol - I struggle to see why anyone favours them over less dangerous breeds. It is an ego trip, imo.

And I don't just mean with the type of stereotypical scrote that walks around showing off with the intention of intimidation and scaring people. I know owners of these types of dogs who would be genuinely appalled if their dog ever hurt anyone and are far, far removed from that type of scrote. However, most, if not all of them, imo, still invest a fair bit of ego in owning that type of dog. Even when train it to be totally docile, they still (not so) secretly enjoy being an owner of that type of powerful dog and enjoy being seen as the sort of person who 'knows how to handle' that type of powerful dog. A person who "has no problems" with that sort of dog. That is often an ego trip in itself. The same people are hardly likely to feel the same way about being seen as the sort of person who "has no problems" with, "can handle" and has fully domesticated a Poodle.

No matter how docile they train the dog to be, they choose that type of dog because it is that type of dog. They might not be doing so for exactly the same reason as a scrote - intimidation and fear - but the fact that the dog is a powerful dog and that type of breed is usually utmost in their thoughts.

To have that sort of dog anywhere near children is taking an awful risk, regardless of its history. It takes one incident, even if the statistics are well in your favour.

Well I have been bitten by dogs a few times. Not bad but you do get some owners who think that the breed of dog does not need as much training because they look cute.

I have had small bites off a Lab, yorkshire terrier, jack russel, springer spaniel, west highland white and a border terrier.

But that must have been because they were near a bad staffie and nothing to do with the fact that the owners don't know how to look after them.

I agree that idiots do flock to this type of dog but a huge amount of Staffie owners (like Ducado) would only ever choose this breed as they know what amazing family pets they make ( in fact they make the top 1% of family pets ;) )

...said the survey in March's edition of "my vicious hell hound that makes me feel really hard gazette"...
LOL classic

So to attach blame you have to look at the following,

The dogs fault
The dog owners fault
The victims fault
The pie makers fault

If none of the above then a collection of circumstances lead to tragedy

Awful awful thing to hear! - Seems to be something were hearing more and more of... Sickens me how young lads now walk around the streets with a big fuck off dog thats practically foaming at the mouth as they have trained em up to be as aggressive and intimidating as possible to make 'em selves look hard whilst strutting around in a shell suit! - KUNTS!

mindmyp's_n_q's said:
I have had small bites off a Lab

Whilst I am not debating what you say, my niece/nephew can be a sleep on the couch/bed with my lab and they will have their foot/hand in it's mouth as they both sleep and he's never nipped them.

I have been walking down the street before with him and two lads, lovely looking folk, have been walking the other way with Staffs, they crossed the road about 20 yards in front of me and made a point of telling me they were crossing the road cos of how their dog would react to seeing mine, how it might go for him etc.

As they walked past my dog was barking at them (only barks when he wants to play) and you could see the two Staffs tails wagging and all they wanted to do was play, but the pair of dickheads walking them had them on the smallest lead possible making out they were holidng them back.

ive said it on here before that ive got an English bull terrier, im 34 family man so its not a look at my hard dog thing just loved them and always wanted one after watching the incredible journey as a kid, ive also got a chocolate lab, we had them both at the dog park from a young age so they would get used to other dogs but as she got bigger (the bull terrier) she just started going for other dogs all the time.
We read up about them before we got her and all reports had them down as great with children and people and we have found this to be true she really loves people and wont leave them alone be it me or a stranger coming into the house but other animals is a different matter, she wont just growl or bark she just attacks and would kill it if she got it,
in the house if i say come here, drop that, sit, whatever she does it instantly but once she has seen another animal there is nothing i can say to stop her, shes gone,
its has been a nightmare at times as i have to walk both dogs separately and always keep her on the lead and i had my calf ripped open stopping her fighting with a rottie a very very scary sight and it knocked me sick thinking of the frenzy those 2 dogs were in and thinking about that poor girl.
i wouldn't get another one but i love her to bits and dont take offence when people say people only get this or that dog to look hard as i agree it is often the case,

Timmmmahhhh said:
mindmyp's_n_q's said:
I have had small bites off a Lab

Whilst I am not debating what you say, my niece/nephew can be a sleep on the couch/bed with my lab and they will have their foot/hand in it's mouth as they both sleep and he's never nipped them.

I have been walking down the street before with him and two lads, lovely looking folk, have been walking the other way with Staffs, they crossed the road about 20 yards in front of me and made a point of telling me they were crossing the road cos of how their dog would react to seeing mine, how it might go for him etc.

As they walked past my dog was barking at them (only barks when he wants to play) and you could see the two Staffs tails wagging and all they wanted to do was play, but the pair of dickheads walking them had them on the smallest lead possible making out they were holidng them back.

This is the point I never trust any dog. I wait to see how the owner is with the dog before I get anywhere near close enough to be bitten, The times I have been bitten have been when another dog has just decided to bound up to me (even though every time I can hear the owner trying to control their dog ) and tried to get whatever toy/stick I have for my dog off me.

My list could have contained any breeds as they ALL can behave badly given the chance.

"It's not the arrow, It's the Indian"

mindmyp's_n_q's said:
york away to this! said:
...said the survey in March's edition of "my vicious hell hound that makes me feel really hard gazette"...

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7239464.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7239464.stm</a>

KENNEL CLUB (THUGDOG SUPPLEMENT) DEFINITION OF THE STAFFY TEMPERAMENT
Indomitably intimidating
Terribly pointy teeth
Highly intelligent - some would say Tyson-esque
Affectionate, especially when jumping up to maul children
Bold as a you like, will bite the leg of any passer-by.
Fearless - just like their fearless owners.
Totally squat, slavvering, grimacing beasts that will kill you if you give them the wrong look... (and as for their dogs)

thanks for the clarity...

bluemc1 said:
ive said it on here before that ive got an English bull terrier, im 34 family man so its not a look at my hard dog thing just loved them and always wanted one after watching the incredible journey as a kid, ive also got a chocolate lab, we had them both at the dog park from a young age so they would get used to other dogs but as she got bigger (the bull terrier) she just started going for other dogs all the time.
We read up about them before we got her and all reports had them down as great with children and people and we have found this to be true she really loves people and wont leave them alone be it me or a stranger coming into the house but other animals is a different matter, she wont just growl or bark she just attacks and would kill it if she got it,
in the house if i say come here, drop that, sit, whatever she does it instantly but once she has seen another animal there is nothing i can say to stop her, shes gone,
its has been a nightmare at times as i have to walk both dogs separately and always keep her on the lead and i had my calf ripped open stopping her fighting with a rottie a very very scary sight and it knocked me sick thinking of the frenzy those 2 dogs were in and thinking about that poor girl.
i wouldn't get another one but i love her to bits and dont take offence when people say people only get this or that dog to look hard as i agree it is often the case,

does your Bull Terrier try and get at your Lab?

Timmmmahhhh said:
bluemc1 said:

does your Bull Terrier try and get at your Lab?

No they were pups together and play together, she would take his food given half a chance but we got straight on top of that but you can see her looking over and he can be wary of her with food about, the lab is the most submissive dog i have known he's great

york away to this! said:
mindmyp's_n_q's said:
york away to this! said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7239464.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7239464.stm</a>

KENNEL CLUB (THUGDOG SUPPLEMENT) DEFINITION OF THE STAFFY TEMPERAMENT
Indomitably intimidating
Terribly pointy teeth
Highly intelligent - some would say Tyson-esque
Affectionate, especially when jumping up to maul children
Bold as a you like, will bite the leg of any passer-by.
Fearless - just like their fearless owners.
Totally squat, slavvering, grimacing beasts that will kill you if you give them the wrong look... (and as for their dogs)

thanks for the clarity...

[bigimg]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1686917/dean-martin-does-not-approve-o.gif[/bigimg]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.