£100 to Bluemoon for 1 successul Richards cross (year 2)

Re: £100 to Bluemoon for 1 successul Richards cross (year 2)

Brucie Bonus said:
Fuck me. Learn something every day. Only been playing and watching football for 36 years. A cross must be "in the air". Rubbish. What an absolute pile of shite.

A cross is a lateral pass across the box whether in the air, nice and low (volleying height), or along the ground. Just because most crosses are in the air (about head height), it does not limit the class to only those that are.

Do I have to say it again? A cross need not be "in the air" to be a cross. Don't fucking try to teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

I think this was a pass, not a cross, though.

Brucie Bonus said:
Brucie Bonus said:
Fuck me. Learn something every day. Only been playing and watching football for 36 years. A cross must be "in the air". Rubbish. What an absolute pile of shite.

A cross is a lateral pass across the box whether in the air, nice and low (volleying height), or along the ground. Just because most crosses are in the air (about head height), it does not limit the class to only those that are.

Do I have to say it again? A cross need not be "in the air" to be a cross. Don't fucking try to teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

Like I said, the OP is full of shit.

what is this thread designed to do ?

be good for the lads confidence?

is it cos he's called Richard and he's at RB ?

stupid stupid thread.

It was a cross. Low crosses that cannot be headed are still crosses and not passes. As long as the ball goes across the pitch and is atleast somewhat airborne, it's a cross. Wikipedia also seems to agree. (along with few other definitions I managed to find)

After watching the replay again I would have to say that it doesnt go long enough across the pitch or in the air at all to be considered a cross. So I vote "a pass". Had he done it closer to the sideline and with more power then it would have been a cross, imo. :)

so say if somebody smashes the ball along the 6 yard box on the floor for someone to tap in on the back post, that wouldnt be considered a cross?

mcfc_nick said:
so say if somebody smashes the ball along the 6 yard box on the floor for someone to tap in on the back post, that wouldnt be considered a cross?

Not if it's Micah, apparently.

When money is involved, judgement is hard to maintain.

Since people are into clarifying what a cross is, I suggest that a successful cross must also be clarified.

What is a successful cross? Is it a cross that finds its target? Is it a cross aimed in the area of the targeted player? Is it a cross well controlled by its target? Is it a cross that leads to a goal?

That is much room to define what a successful cross is so if done now, it would avoid endless redefinition and argument. Richards might deliver a well-aimed cross but the target can fail the first touch control etc

Even though, endless argument might be funnier and more suitable to a forum.

As far as I know, crosses are passes but all passes are not crosses.
If you take the pitch lengthwise, it can be divided in three distinctive zones:
-left-hand channel (not sure about the channel word but it is the left-zone running all the left thrown in line up)
-center channel ( the width of this zone is usually defined by the width of the penalty area)
-right-side channel

When a pass( aloft or not) moves the ball from one zone to another, especially from one side zone to the center zone, the pass is a cross.

Richards' pass is not a cross because definitively, he is in the same zone as the target of the pass.

Pass on Adebayor's goal is a cross (from deep), moving the ball from the right-hand channel to the center of the pitch.

PS: if somebody can tell the real name of the zone running along the touch line, it would be appreciated.

It's gonna happen eventually and the OP WILL pay out. So stop stressing out on here.

If Richards is INSIDE the area and passes the ball along the floor to another player, it's a pass. No doubt about it.

If Richards is OUTSIDE the area and fires the ball in low like the Fifa video that's where I'd say it's more of a cross.

If Richards is INSIDE the area and chips the ball in the air from the flank, thats a cross.

If Richards is OUTSIDE the area and chips the ball in the air from one side to another, thats a cross.

Let's forget yesterday's goal. The OP has the rules clear and if he can just confirm the above we can just move on. It may fire Micah up! ;oP

skybluekings said:
Last year I had made a donation dare of £100 to bluemoon for Richards to have JUST 1 successful cross for the season.

As expected, Richards went the ENTIRE season without a successful cross to a City player.

I'm carrying over the donation dare for a 2nd year.

All he has to do is make 1 cross to any City player and Ric gets £100.

EDIT: There is no way that his overhead kick in the 6yrd box can be classified as a cross.

If someone tells you to cross the ball, do you bicycle kick it in?

cretin.

SouthStand211 said:
It's gonna happen eventually and the OP WILL pay out. So stop stressing out on here.

If Richards is INSIDE the area and passes the ball along the floor to another player, it's a pass. No doubt about it.

If Richards is OUTSIDE the area and fires the ball in low like the Fifa video that's where I'd say it's more of a cross.

If Richards is INSIDE the area and chips the ball in the air from the flank, thats a cross.

If Richards is OUTSIDE the area and chips the ball in the air from one side to another, thats a cross.

Let's forget yesterday's goal. The OP has the rules clear and if he can just confirm the above we can just move on. It may fire Micah up! ;oP

Couldn't have said it any better.

Hope that the above "quote" makes it clear as these are the conditions and in addition that it MUST be received by a City player to be classified as "successful". Booting the cross in the box is something anyone can do and would be no reason to have a challenge.

To update: Carling Cup and 5 games of the 09/10 EPL season and for the 2nd year continuing; cross count = 0!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.