Álvaro Negredo Sánchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a measure of how far we have come I suppose that a 1 in 2 Spanish international striker is seen as a risk.

I have seen a lot of people wanting us to sign Benteke after a good season for Villa. He has had one good season for a team who played to his strengths as they had to. They had no one else.

I wouldnt mind Benteke personally but he would cost more than Negrado and isnt anywhere near as proven - there have been occasions in the past where a player has scored a hatful only to go into oblivion - Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, Amir Zaki etc etc so id like to see him develop a bit more to be honest before we spend more money on him than we can get a proven Spanish internation striker for.

Obviously Negredo is a very interesting player. He scores goals on a regular basis (not just a one-season wonder), he scores them in a relatively mediocre side in La Liga, he's fysically strong, and must have a bond with already signed Navas.

He is however not the one big name player we are after. As for a name he's no Falcao, no Cavani and probably no Lewandowski. But that doesn't mean he can turn into a great player for us. Yes, he can fail. So can any of the big names tbh.

I'm just not too sure if he brings so many different options than with Aguerro and Dzeko. As for Guidetti, he is a big talanted striker who, however, is not fit and has missed to over a year of competative football. When he's fit and challenging, and he's better than any of Aguerro, Dzeko and whoever we bring in, he will play. If Negredo is a risk for some, Guidetti is an even bigger one right now.

Pigeonho said:
NipHolmes said:
Pigeonho said:
What exactly are 'our standards'?

Competitors for the league.
We will be competitor's for the league with Aguero, Negredo and Dzeko or Aguero, Cavani and Dzeko. We have the midfield and options now to ensure that is the case. The problem, from what I can tell, is that because he isn't the player other clubs are after, the so called 'big name signing', he just will be very poo indeed. There's no guarantee that 'big name' will do any better or worse than Negredo, but it is ok though because he is a big name and will cost £50m and make other clubs take note. If that's what fans base a signing on, what others will think, well it's a poor state of affairs.

A £24m Spanish forward who scores goals. Loads to be sad about that isn't there?!

You are offering a reply to something that's not there.

You merely asked what are 'our standards' and I replied.

IMHO we need Negredo + another. Hopefully Cavani but if not Gomez would please me. I said a few posts back. Combines in wages they would cost the same or less than Tevez and both have very consistent scoring records. We get to pocket Balotelli money too.

My main concern is actually the need for a quality left-sided player. Silva should play through the centre and a pacey and quality left sided player would perfect us.

If we play 1 up top then Dzeko, Aguero and Negredo is suffice. If we play 4-2-2-2 then it is not. I personally feel that the club won't gamble and will get in another and much of the flapping is premature.

gio's side step said:
Pigeonho said:
gio's side step said:
Did you say that last year when we signed Garcia and Sinclair?

You do also realise these same people will get behind Negredo 100% and hope he's a real success. Its nothing against the player.
I actually thought Sinclair might have been the one to surprise a few like Moses did at the Bridge. He'd proven he could hack the PL anyway, put it that way. Garcia was an unknown entity to many, and whilst he's been far from great, he's not been as shit as people make out. I think too many people had already made their mind up on him because of the disappointment re De Rossi, but again there's no guarantee De Rossi would have hacked the PL. Every signing is a gamble, but people seem willing to be disappointed on a £24m gamble who could rip up the league just because we aren't gambling £50m+ on a player who could just as easily flop. Negredo, for me, is a good signing and bolsters our attack. There's literally nothing to be disappointed about.

With all due respect, I genuinely enjoy reading your posts, but if you stand by that then (again with all due respect and Im happy to agree to disagree) I find the football viewing part of your brain extremely questionable. That is not meant to offend and I know it won't. But I think even the most optimistic blue (and you wont get more optimistic than my old man) would have to accept he's been shockingly poor, off pace, and not equipped for the PL at the top level.

But ... cue the (give him time, he'll come good) brigade.

As for Sinclair, he had one season with a mid table promoted side in the prem. Some of us were more than alarmed by the fact he had previously been on loan at several championship sides. It was a ridiculous signing.

This Negredo signing is not comparable. It is not a ridiculous signing. But nonetheless, it is still a little underwhelming when one or two hoped and believed Cavani might come in (based on the belief he is a far better player). Thats all.
Whether a player has played well, poor or somewhere in between is all a matter of opinion. I stand by the point that some had made their minds up on Garcia because of the disappointment of not getting De Rossi.
Sinclair was risk worth taking for the price we paid. If he flopped, (as is the case), we will still get £5m for him, but if he had upped his game with class player around him, he would have been a bargain. Like I say every signing is a risk.

Say Cavani was never linked with us, or say he never existed even, and Negredo was bought for £24m, would he be a signing regarded as underwhelming then? Bit disrespectful to label a signing as underwhelming just because it's not a £50m+ player some of the biggest clubs in the world are linked with.

I hope my post a few pages back actually happens, that he scores 25 goals and rips defences apart, and Cavani joins Chelsea and can't make the step up from a relatively poor league to the PL and is a total flop. I also hope that when Chelsea announce that signing, those on here moaning already go into total meltdown mode slating the signing of Negredo even more. Might teach them a thing or two about being brats.

gio's side step said:
Did you say that last year when we signed Garcia and Sinclair?

You do also realise these same people will get behind Negredo 100% and hope he's a real success. Its nothing against the player.

Sinclair was an awful signing that made no sense. Not really comparable to this, IMO.

Garcia is more comparable in that we're relying on the club's scouting to make a correct judgement (which they obviously didn't, in his case). However, his track record is encouraging.

I can see why you can argue it's disappointing to sign Negredo instead of Cavani but IMO signing Cavani would not necessarily have fitted in well with getting the most out of Kun (who is a truly world class player). And in my view, signing players who will complement our already world class players, particularly Kun, is very important. It's not just about who's the best player in absolute terms.

Sinclair hardly played last year so I don't think it's fair to judge him as a flop. The simple truth is that under Mancini the team got it's width from the full-backs and not wingers. This was probably because he didn't trust his wide players to help out defensively whereas he knew the likes of Zaba and Clichy would be up and down the touchline all day.

Now that Pellegrini's come in and with the signing of Navas, I expect our style of play to focus much more on width being provided by attack minded players. You would expect Sinclair to be given much more of a chance under the new manager than what Mancini gave him so let's see how his second season pans out.

With regards to Negredo, I can't say i've ever watched him, his strike-rate in front of goal is admirable though but until I've seen him play a good few times in a city shirt i'll reserve judgement on how good he is.

Let's face it, Negredo was playing against better defences
in La Liga and scoring goals, so he should really enjoy getting
at premier league defences. Let's just back the lad shall we
if he does sign, or have we forgot how to do that? Pellegrini
obviously rates him, and he's seen a damn sight more of him
than of us lot.

Super David Silva 21 said:
benno74 said:
Although I must have watched him play for club or country at some point, I can't really remember noticing him to be able to have any kind of opinion on him yet.

What I will say is that the quote from Pellegrini from his Madrid days about you can't have the worlds best 11 guitar players to make an orchestra struck a chord with me. I have faith in what he wants to do, how he wants us to play, and most importantly which players will fit into his system.

If he feels that Negredo is a good fit for us, then I'm happy with that

Come again????

so hypothetically we wouldn't need an Aguero and Dzeko up front to win the league, we could easily do it with a Jo and a Samaras. Okay then.

In football there are never any guarantees, so even going out and buying 11 £50m players will not guarantee you will win everything, or even anything for that matter.

What I was saying is that if Pellegrini sees Negredo as a good fit for us in the system he wants to play, which I am sure he knows better than any of us on here, then thats good enough for me.

I will look forward to seeing him in a blue shirt, and will form my own opinion of him on his performances for us (if he indeed does sign for us that is)
I remember reading a lot of euphoria on here about Dzeko before he came (last piece of our jigsaw, exactly what we need etc, etc), but now opinions on him are divided.

Its hard to predict how any of our new signings will do this season with the change in philosophy/style. None of us know for sure how we will line up. I actually think with the change in tactics that some of our existing players are going to be like new signings i.e. Silva, Nasri, Dzeko. The qualities that Negredo will offer may just be be the perfect catalyst for the new style to gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.